Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    New here, but have questions that I need answered before I make my purchase decision. I'm currently with VW and own a Centro. Have had Palm pda's and a Treo 650 and 700 in the past. So I'm a die hard Palm guy. A few things worry me; 1) I've heard that Palm won't be around much longer 2) there will not be a new Palm device any time in the near future 3) The Pre offered by Sprint is only 4 GB as opposed to the 8 GB version from VW 4) There is no video capture available for the Sprint version. What I am looking at doing is moving to Sprint because I HATE VW and the $30 data package charge (even though I got them to remove it from my Centro) that I will have to have with the Pre Plus. But the Sprint version has half the memory. So the questions are: will I miss that 4 GB difference (I'm assuming I wouldnt be able to handle as many apps or store as many songs etc), is there anything I can do about it, and is that reason enough to stay with VW; is Palm actually going under; is there any scuttlebutt about an updated device for Sprint; I had heard there would be a software update for the Sprint version that added video capabilities - is that true?

Ok you guys, take it easy on me with your replies - I'm not a techie and you most likely won't be speaking my language if you get to deep on me.

Thanks,
    Jason
    1. untrue

2. untrue as well

3. true

4. untrue. i thought an OTA update enabled video recording for all devices

Yeah, you'll miss that 4GB difference. With the "fixes" that are available to combat VZW's stupidity on crippling our GPS, IMHO, I would just stay put. If HP were dumping Palm, we would hear something.
    i thought the Pre Pluses had 16GBs of memory and the original Sprint Pres had 8GB?
    "So you can run and tell that, homeboy"
    You have video capture the the Sprint Pre. You can use online storage sites to listen music or stream online stations like Pandora. You'll probably want to overclock the current Sprint Pre or wait for the new WebOS2.
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanguerrero View Post
    i thought the Pre Pluses had 16GBs of memory and the original Sprint Pres had 8GB?
    Yeah what he said. That slipped my mind...

with that, I don't know if I can say staying on VZW would be best.
  6.    #6  
    I think Dylan is right, I knew the GB size was half, I guess I just started with the wrong larger size in mind. Since there is 8 GB on the Sprint, am I gonna miss the other 8 to the tune of $30/mo just to get it? I know their coverage is supposed to be superior, but here in Columbus, OH Sprint seems to be pretty good.

Are there going to be major apps that I won't be able to handle on the 8 GB device? Should I wait for webOS2, and when will that be out? Is that coming out on VW or Sprint or AT&T? Seems like the answers make more questions for me!
    Being an original launch day Sprint Pre user who now has a Pre Plus on Sprint, I have to say if you want the most out of webOS get a Pre Plus. WebOS struggles with 256MB of RAM. It is a night and day difference.

A Pre Plus on Sprint isn't an option for everyone, so I would stick with VW and get a Pre Plus if I were you.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    yes video recording did come with 1.4, also I have a sprint pre and I converted my music to acc+ I think it's called. Anyways I have loads of programs/games and about 1300 songs with 3.7gb free.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Being an original launch day Sprint Pre user who now has a Pre Plus on Sprint, I have to say if you want the most out of webOS get a Pre Plus. WebOS struggles with 256MB of RAM. It is a night and day difference.

A Pre Plus on Sprint isn't an option for everyone, so I would stick with VW and get a Pre Plus if I were you.
    NickDG - Is there any way I can get one, or did they have to give you an upgrade for some reason? How did Sprint even have it to give you if they don't sell it? I really wnat to get away from VW.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    You can hack a pre and pre plus together. There are instructions on the forum. But in general it involved buying a pre plus, pulling it apart. backing up a bunch of stuff from the pre (minus) and then putting the pre (minus) radio board into the pre plus and then unbacking up the data.
    Yes, those that have Pre Pluses on Sprint are the ones who took apart their Sprint Pre and swapped comm boards with a Pre Plus. So unless you wanna tinker with electronics in that manner then you're stuck with a regular Pre on Sprint. Honestly I don't ever fill my Sprint Pre, and I have 4 full length movies on it and about 500 songs and just shy of 100 apps and still have 2 gig left.

Overclocking the Pre will make a HUGE difference, not quite Pre Plus standards but still a large difference. So I guess it all boils down to what you're willing to put up with. Verizon's fun business practices and a superior phone (with crippled GPS) or a cheaper plan with a less than optimal device that can be tweaked to be atleast twice as fast as the stock version.

Personally, the slightly better coverage from Verizon doesn't justify the much larger bill and very snotty customer service, at least around here. I almost worked for Verizon, when I got an interview for the local corporate store and saw how they treated customers I told them I was no longer interested and walked out.

Just my .02 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by prequestions View Post
    NickDG - Is there any way I can get one, or did they have to give you an upgrade for some reason? How did Sprint even have it to give you if they don't sell it? I really wnat to get away from VW.
    Like others have posted it's a pretty serious hack. Sprint still thinks I am running a regular Pre. I swapped the EVDO board from my Sprint Pre into an AT&T Pre Plus.

AT&T is also an option, though they might be worse in your eyes than VW.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I would advise that you stay with Verizon for now. My Sprint still has over 5 GBs of free space although I do not use it for music but as bdhu2001 pointed out, you can use cloud based storage for your music. The low memory of the Sprint Pre will be an issue with certain game apps but by over clocking, this issue is almost eradicated. I think the uncertainty of when a new device will be launched may be the difficult part in taking the plunge. If you switch to Sprint and a new device is launched within six months of your contract, then you will be stuck with the phone for a year and a half and I think it will not get frequent updates. If you are not concerned about upgrading at a hefty price when eventually with Sprint, then go for it. Otherwise, stay with Verizon for now and get the Pre Plus. When the time is right, switch to Sprint and get a generous discount.

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"
    There's been some confusion on memory sizes of Sprint vs. Verizon, so here are the actual memory numbers:

Per Palm website:
    • Pre (Sprint): 8GB (~7GB user available)
    • Pre Plus (Verizon/AT&T): 16GB (~15GB user available)
    Quote Originally Posted by prequestions;
    Hi all,
    New here, but have questions that I need answered before I make my purchase decision. I'm currently with VW and own a Centro.
    if you can, wait anlittle while longer. New Palm models should be out before the holidays. They will have more memory and be slightly larger.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    A pre-holiday release of a new device isn't confirmed anywhere at all!
    I have the VZW Pre Plus, and from everything I hear here at PreCentral, you really wouldn't be making a good decision going to Sprint if you want a Pre. The Sprint version of the Pre (the Pre Minus) is inferior in every way EXCEPT that it has a working GPS. I can't say that about my VZW Pre Plus
    I came to the pre on vzw from the same palm treo/centro heritage you did.

I have been mostly happy, the homebrewers and community here are a big reason why.

if you want to move now, I suggest you grab a used one to avoid a contract lock, and wait to see the next round of carrier and phone announcements between now amd year end.

palm isn't going under, and there is good stuff ahead. I guess you have to decide why you want to give up your treo. I did because I wanted 3g tethering and because assurion ran out of centro refurbs...

but I'm glad I switched. Good stuff happening in this space so dive in when you are ready.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 09/27/2010 at 11:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anal_Cavity View Post
    Not ONE mention of new hardware.
    well you are wrong twice:

1) The OP didn't ask about new hardware, he asked about the current Sprint Pre.

2) I made the suggestion to wait or buy used to see about upcoming announcements. what exactly did you think that meant?

but, thanks for telling me what I should be thinking and posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by prequestions View Post

1) I've heard that Palm won't be around much longer
    I'm just going to touch upon this and most of the other answers are fairly simple and Have been answered.

Palm was bought by HP (Hewlett Packard) so Yes Palm could be disbanded after a bit of time and just fully adsorbed into the HP family. Will they that is up in the air, But they have fully vested time and money into the webOS OS. So the name could go away but the OS will not be. In fact Recently a image was seen with HP webOS written on it from HP's site (IIRC).
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast