1.    #1  
    Is there any thing I can download or a app for speech to text?
    No, there is no mic access in the SDK
  3.    #3  
    SDK?
    Software development kit
    Simplified: Palm has not allowed any access to the microphone, so no one can make any applications that use it.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Seems to be coming in 2.0 though
    They should've opened it up a long time ago.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Simplified: Palm has not allowed any access to the microphone, so no one can make any applications that use it.
    What about Zcorder?
    Not exactly sure how Zcorder pulled it off but you can't integrate it into text to speech
    Well however they managed it it would be nice if Dragon could use their method to implement the iPhone speech to text app on webOS.
    Dragon couldn't use whatever method Zcorder used to make an app since it wouldn't be an "official app" and they wouldn't be able to put it in the App Catalog where 90% of users get their apps exclusively from
    I didn't see anything extra support services that needed to be installed? Can it only run in developer mode?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I didn't see anything extra support services that needed to be installed? Can it only run in developer mode?
    It can't be made with the SDK or the PDK so you couldn't put it in the App Catalog
    mic access is also granted for the classic app, though to what degree I don't know. Certainly the voice recorder works.
  15. Wax
    [need to write this post so I can reach 10 posts in order to write the real post below, with links included]
  16. Wax
    Once you have the recording though, either via Zcorder or other means, like Google Voice recording (check out my post about call recording with GV on the Pre), there are some third-party Web apps you can use for speech-to-text.

Lifehacker just ran a piece on a Web service called VoiceBase, which is one of a few services that offer speech transcription. When you sign up for an account there are several options for transcription; the free option is so-so and the turn-around time can take up to 24 hours. Then there's the "premium" service which is more accurate and transcribed quicker, but uses credits (you get some free credits when you first sign up to try it out). Finally, they have a "human" transcription option which is ridiculously expensive and only practical for businesses like law offices and hospitals.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know about Web alternatives like that since there's nothing for the actual hardware yet.
    The Application Programming Interface (API) for the microphone is not included in the Software Development Kit (SDK) so developers cannot publish an application through the Official Catalog that uses the microphone just yet. Per the article below the APIs are promised and I assume they will be available in webOS 2.0:

http://www.precentral.net/webos-get-...enty-more-fall
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~