Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Hi, I am trying to play an avi file that I originally shot through my point and shoot camera on my pre. Does anyone know how to do it? I just figured you could drag and drop it into the pre via UBS, but guess not.

Thanks,
    Chris
    im trying to figure this out as well. i heard they must be in mpeg-4 format in order to play.
    You can use a program like Handbrake or DVDFab7 to convert the file into the proper format.
    I would like to be able to play native .avi/ .divx files from my camera and have been looking for an application but to date I have not found anything like the wonderful VLC.
    Need to convert them to MP4.

- Jim
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    "Super" is the most comprehensive conversion software I have ever seen, it is always free, google it.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    I use "Any Video Converter" and it works great...

-al
    someone should port vlc player to the pre, should be able to be done as there IS a linux version of vlc
    I use the one by the same company that Bigalh mentioned.

I use the Any DVD Converter Pro

Video Converter, DVD Ripper - Any Video converter - The versatile video converter for iPod, iPhone, PSP, Zune, cell phones and more

Not free, not super cheap, but converts ANY format to ANY other format, including DVDs, any videos, ANYTHING, just GREAT LOVE this program, and I have tried em all!
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post
    Hi, I am trying to play an avi file that I originally shot through my point and shoot camera on my pre. Does anyone know how to do it? I just figured you could drag and drop it into the pre via UBS, but guess not.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Convert it using handbrake with the iphone presets. You can then watch it on your Pre.
    : (){:|:&};:
    We do have a "sticky" thread answering all of these questions (and discussing most options for converting files.

Please check it out here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-pre-pixi.html
    My attitude is that if you have to convert an avi to another format just to watch it on a Pre then it just isn't worth it. In time it takes to do, I could've just watched the avi on my computer instead on a much larger screen. Avi is such a widely popular format that I still can't believe Palm's player doesn't support it. Even harder to believe that someone hasn't written an app for WebOS to do it. What's up with that?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Correct me, if I'm wrong, but WebOS is based on web technologies. AVI has never been part of that. Not even in HTML5.
    That and AVI itself is only a container format and can contain many types of video streams. If you can't do it in a web browser (natively, that is), you'll probably won't be doing it in WebOS (SDK-wise, that is).
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    Does this mean that a future WebOS tablet device will have this limitation? That will definitely be a dealbreaker for me.
    Chill out you jump to conclusion mat owners. With the PDK anything is possible. VLC could be ported or someone could make a more robust video player. It will be made once webOS picks up more speed next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    .... someone could make a more robust video player.
    Don't you mean - someone could robustify a video player? I just read that frankenized word somewhere and it cracked me up. Sorry to be off topic......
    Quote Originally Posted by THL View Post
    Correct me, if I'm wrong, but WebOS is based on web technologies. AVI has never been part of that. Not even in HTML5.
    That and AVI itself is only a container format and can contain many types of video streams. If you can't do it in a web browser (natively, that is), you'll probably won't be doing it in WebOS (SDK-wise, that is).

Are you saying that MP4 is a web based technology? What about MP3's? The Pre plays both and I am positive they are not. There isn't any connection to writing an application to play avi's or any other type of music or video format. I am sure that Palm focused on MP when they thought about taking market share from the iPhone & just chose not to spend time on avi.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    No, I am saying, that MP3 and MP4 can be played back using HTML5 without the need of a plugin.
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    it would be nice if we had something like RockPlayerBase, which is an Android app, i thought about Ampache, but I read that it only streams files the pre will play natively? wow, how NOT helpful...