Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    so i have had the htc hero for about a year now but im growing tired of it. im about to buy a new palm pre because i still love webos and i know 2.0 is coming soon.

i have a few questions though:

can i overclock the pre to 1ghz at all?

is the battery life any better than it was a year ago?

what do you guys recommend for an instant messaging app?

is bing available?

thanks and i look forward to becoming a palm user again.
    You could overclock it to 1.2 Ghz if you really wanted to. But yes there's 3 different kernels that allow you to go to 1ghz(warthog, F105, uberkernel)

The battery life is better if you turn data off. Trust me you can't be using data all the time. If you turn data off you can still text and call. I get AMAZING battery life.

Instant Messaging app meaning you need like WLM and stuff? As far as I know it's glitchy for all of them.

Bing is available I think through a patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    You could overclock it to 1.2 Ghz if you really wanted to. But yes there's 3 different kernels that allow you to go to 1ghz(warthog, F105, uberkernel)

The battery life is better if you turn data off. Trust me you can't be using data all the time. If you turn data off you can still text and call. I get AMAZING battery life.

Instant Messaging app meaning you need like WLM and stuff? As far as I know it's glitchy for all of them.

Bing is available I think through a patch.
    thanks, i mean like palringo or something like that. WOW 1.2 ghz?
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    thanks, i mean like palringo or something like that. WOW 1.2 ghz?
    Oh I'm not too familiar with Instant Messenger clients on the Pre. If I really need to IM someone, I use meebo.com or imo.im.

Yeah 1.2ghz is kind of unstable for some Pres, just due to inconsistencies in processor builds. So I can't promise it isn't going to crash your phone on installation haha(which is recoverable.) I recommend Warthog or F105 or Uberkernel. Warthog and F105 go to 1005mhz, and I think Uberkernel goes to 1000.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I'm using Agile Messenger so far with no problems. I like it much better than Mundi.

Oh and welcome back to Pre.
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    cme on baxk, the water is great. The last year has produced the most awesome homebrewing of any platform anywhere.
    The 1.2 ghz kernal will not work for some Pres, but the 1 ghz uberkernel is stable and easy to install through Preware.

Battery life still depends on a lot of factors. Mine is fine, but there are still a lot of members who are not happy with theirs.
    kool look into the advanced launcher patch when you get back.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Best overclocking for 1 gHz is Uberkernal with Govnah to keep track of the settings & monitoring.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    wow, if you've been gone for a year, this is going to be like a whole new phone to you!

welcome back, you're gonna love it!
    Wait...

You bought a Hero AFTER owning a Pre?

Anyway, I use the the Uberkernel that is still in testing that allows 1GHz.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    The best messaging app is actually the Messaging Plugins patch developed here at Precentral.

Why use a crummy app instead of having all of your favourite IM's built right into Synergy?

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-your-pre.html

*EDIT* Someone help me out please, I dont know how to post links to other topics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    how do you turn your 3g connection off?
    there is a patch that adds it to the device menu
    to turn data off, open the phone app. select 'preferences' from the drop down menu on the top left. then toggle the 'data usage' to the 'off' position in the 'preferences' card.
    cool man thanks! it'd be nice if there was a patch to toggle that in the connections pull down menu
    EDIT: just saw cantaffordit's post, thanks i'll look for it
  17.    #17  
    yeah i see alot of new apps and development since i owned one. the only reason i got rid of it was the screen died on me the first two weeks i had it and the battery life was horrid anyways. the hero is one of the longest phones i have had. i love android but i just love the look & feel of webos.

now comes the hard part..trying to find a brand new pre within my $100-120 budget.

if anybody can hook me up shoot me a pm, i posted an ad in the marketplace too.
    cool man thanks! it'd be nice if there was a patch to toggle that in the connections pull down menu EDIT: just saw cantaffordit's post, thanks i'll look for it
    I know there's a home brew app "Data Toggle" by Zinge that will directly turn the data usage pref on or off when you open it. He's also got one for GPS: "GPS Toggle".
    Welcome back from the dark side.
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    The pre plus has run it's course in my book. The screen is too small, the keyboard to cheap and flakey, and the fact gps doesnt work with verizon and voice quality of the phone is not that great. So likely something different for me the first of the year.
    Why do you even look at this forum unless you are already an Android ******? Give the rest of us a break that truly like our Pre's.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast