Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    I have been wondering for a long time now "see my signature", why no one with access to aluminum has tried to make a battery door for the Palm Pre like:

    Metal Battery Door for Blackberry
    Metal Battery Door for iPhone

    If you have access to materials and machinery can you please give it a try for the Palm Pre community.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  2. #2  
    Can I ask what the advantage is to a metal battery door?
    There are two ways to pass a hurdle: leaping over or plowing through...
    There needs to be a monster truck option.
  3. #3  
    guessing this would kill reception.
  4. #4  
    i think a lot of people have and use the touchstone cover -- this would not work with that accessory obvouisly so maybe that is why no one has made it
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

    Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

    My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
  5. #5  
    Mespiff (Rob) is correct that a conductive battery cover would tend to degrade the induction properties of the touchstone charger. Mechanically - a plastic phone can be and in many cases is stronger that a metal counterpart if it is made of the proper plastics. Signal attenuation may also be a problem with metal covering over the antennas.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  6. #6  
    I noticed that zagg.com has wood and leather skins for the back that let you use the touchstone. Have you looked at those?
  7. Honis's Avatar
    Posts
    508 Posts
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    I have been wondering for a long time now "see my signature", why no one with access to aluminum has tried to make a battery door for the Palm Pre like:

    Metal Battery Door for Blackberry
    Metal Battery Door for iPhone

    If you have access to materials and machinery can you please give it a try for the Palm Pre community.
    The battery cover for the Pre would actually be quiet time consuming to machine. A better route for a DIYer would be to make a mold and pour aluminum into the mold. When pouring you only need to sand off defects and polish. The ones you linked look like they were stamped out of sheet metal. Which is the absolute easiest way, if you can form the steel stamps and have a machine that can apply the needed pressure. It's also the best method for mass producing things like back plates.

    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  8.    #8  
    The upside to an aluminum cover would be better heat transfer from the case to the atmosphere. It would not degrade the reception as the phone does not release waves only through the back of the phone. Another upside to the aluminum case would be that after you have that you could perfect it to touch the cellular antenna structure to then increase cellular range.

    The main reason i ask is because there are aluminum battery covers for quite a few smart phones and the Palm Pre could really use the heat reduction help. I see the point that it may not work with the touchstone at first but that could be made to work by making a cover that then has small round holes where the touchstone section would be & by doing that would allow for a clear path to still charge the battery.

    I've got quite a few idea's for this phone and no way to execute them without the tools to create them.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  9. lupos's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    I see the point that it may not work with the touchstone at first but that could be made to work by making a cover that then has small round holes where the touchstone section would be & by doing that would allow for a clear path to still charge the battery.
    Small round holes do nothing. The small discs are magnets which just hold the phone to the touch stone. The charging is done by a large coil in the touchstone passing energy through the plastic to a coil inside the touchstone back. If aluminium blocks that transfer then you would have to have a plastic disc dead center to facilitate it. I don't know putting metal in the way would actually cause trouble, but if it does small holes won't fix it.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    Another upside to the aluminum case would be that after you have that you could perfect it to touch the cellular antenna structure to then increase cellular range.

    EMC engineering isn't quite that simple, especially when it comes to cell signals. If you need an example of how spotting those kinds of methods can be you can refer to recent iPhone4 issues.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post
    Small round holes do nothing. The small discs are magnets which just hold the phone to the touch stone. The charging is done by a large coil in the touchstone passing energy through the plastic to a coil inside the touchstone back. If aluminium blocks that transfer then you would have to have a plastic disc dead center to facilitate it. I don't know putting metal in the way would actually cause trouble, but if it does small holes won't fix it.
    I am not saying small holes for the magnets i am saying to allow for the charging signal to pass. if there are small holes in the back of the case they would allow for this. But lets stick to the original post for this thread instead of going of on a version 2 of the device kind of topic.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    EMC engineering isn't quite that simple, especially when it comes to cell signals. If you need an example of how spotting those kinds of methods can be you can refer to recent iPhone4 issues.
    Perfecting something is never simple, that is why it is called perfecting and not perfection. That is why companies come out with new and improved version 2,3,4,5 etc. of a device, firmware, software.

    For one the original post was nothing to do with touchstone. I for one think it is dumb and do not use it at all. So for the sake of another horibbly off topic thread on this forum lets stick to the original topic at hand.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  13. #13  
    Wouldn't this help also with how noisy the platic backs are when typing
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    Wouldn't this help also with how noisy the platic backs are when typing
    yes because it would not bend nor flex like the current back cover does.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  15.    #15  
    Now that HP has announced the Pre 2 being the same form factor as the Pre and Possibly a Pixi 2 being that same form factor. Plus all the press it is starting to pick up maybe this will become a reality from a accessory maker.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  16. Honis's Avatar
    Posts
    508 Posts
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    Now that HP has announced the Pre 2 being the same form factor as the Pre and Possibly a Pixi 2 being that same form factor. Plus all the press it is starting to pick up maybe this will become a reality from a accessory maker.
    Sure it's possible. You'll increase the chance of it happening if you petition some sales departments.


    Also, I tried out a steel plate between the phone and the touchstone with no charging success. (I used an old PC CD player cover. The touchstone works through thicker nonconducting material so everyone's Faraday knowledge was correct. The plate was very magnetic.) Sorry, I think this subject is related to metal rear covers considering the touchstone was one of the largely advertised features of the Pre and Pixi. With the new dock features in WebOS 2.0 I think it's even more relevant than when it was previously discussed.

    [edit] Just hit me what would be a cool back cover design. Expose the charging coil on the outside of the metal battery cover. Recess the coils into the metal to allow a thin clear finish across the entire back to prevent scratches and damaging the coil. Have the palm logo in the center of the coil. Mmmm exposed coils
    Last edited by Honis; 11/08/2010 at 11:18 PM.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  17. #17  
    How about something like this

    http://www.innopocket.com/product.ph...cat=325&page=1

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta

Posting Permissions