Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Wax
    Wax is offline
    Wax's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
       #1  
    A few days ago I downloaded a pirated copy of a WebOS game that I wanted to try out before I bought it (yeah, it's a lame excuse for piracy, but hey; some of those $9.99 games don't have trial versions).

    A couple days after that, my Pre suddenly initiated a device reset on its own. When I woke up, I found my Pre on the reset menu screen (the one that offers the option of resetting with or without keeping data). There was no cancel option and stupidly, instead of trying to just soft-reset the Pre to get out of that screen, I went ahead and chose reset with keeping data.

    The device reset as normal, but all the legitimate (i.e., not pirated) third-party apps and games (and some patches, but not all) seemed to be deleted from the index or something. The reason I use the incorrect term "index" is because I assume the files are still on the phone because of the displayed remaining memory, but they're not listed in the "App list" or in the launcher menu. It's also odd that some of the patches carried over and some didn't; for example, the 5x launcher icon patch wasn't there but some were, like the "display brightness in dropdown menu" and dialpad haptic feedback.

    Like I mentioned, all the other legit apps were gone from the launcher menu as well; stuff like BFGMaps, Preware, etc...

    Anyway, I can try sorting all that out later when I get Preware and Internals up and running again, but my real question is this: Does Sprint or Palm employ some sort of over-the-air DRM for apps and games that resets the device if unauthorized software is detected?

    I'm assuming that it was some other error (maybe related to UberKernal?) but I just wanted to check with you guys to try and figure out the problem. (And yeah, I know "Don't download pirated apps" is the most common-sense advice.)
  2. #2  
    Anything that beta or in the Palm web feeds won't download either.

    and some patches aren't affecting by a reset. Basically all files that you can change on a stock Webos device are erased, I.e. Apps, phone logs, contacts etc. Core system files, I.e. Patches, etc, aren't touched unless you use the doctor
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

    Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
  3. #3  
    Sounds like you got what you deserved.
  4. #4  
    The Pre does this at times, there's a whole bazillion page thread of whinging about it around here somewhere. It's just a coincidence.
  5. Wax
    Wax is offline
    Wax's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Sounds like you got what you deserved.
    It was one game, man... A $10 game that isn't offered in a trial version (like most of the games and software in the Palm catalog). Yeah, it's wrong no matter how you slice it, but if Palm developers want to compete with Apple and Google they need to get with the times and start offering trial versions of $5 to $10 software.

    You know why developers sometimes don't offer trial versions? It's because they don't believe in their own product enough to trust that someone will throw down cash for a solid app or game; instead, they rely on hit-and-run sales for lackluster products. If a developer creates an application or game that's truly worthy of my money, they should be confident enough in that product to sell itself by offering a trial version.

    Sorry to get off-topic but "you got what you deserved" is just a really lame, passe statement for you to make to someone here. I'm not some 14-year-old kid who came here asking, "Hey doodz where can I get pirated warez for teh Pre???"
  6. #6  
    lol.

    I didn't even know it was possible to have 'pirated' versions.

    I agree that sometimes there are no trials for some apps, but I always search youtube for videos on these sort of apps before I buy.
  7. RMB175's Avatar
    Posts
    418 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    #7  
    Wax - You are just one of many Pre/Pixi owner who suffered from the device wipeout.
    It has nothing to do with what apps you owned and from where.

    HP/Palm have a lot to correct with their 'cloud'.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wax View Post
    It was one game, man... A $10 game that isn't offered in a trial version (like most of the games and software in the Palm catalog). Yeah, it's wrong no matter how you slice it, but if Palm developers want to compete with Apple and Google they need to get with the times and start offering trial versions of $5 to $10 software.

    You know why developers sometimes don't offer trial versions? It's because they don't believe in their own product enough to trust that someone will throw down cash for a solid app or game; instead, they rely on hit-and-run sales for lackluster products. If a developer creates an application or game that's truly worthy of my money, they should be confident enough in that product to sell itself by offering a trial version.

    Sorry to get off-topic but "you got what you deserved" is just a really lame, passe statement for you to make to someone here. I'm not some 14-year-old kid who came here asking, "Hey doodz where can I get pirated warez for teh Pre???"

    Sorry, but how do you know I am not the developer of that game?? You can try to justify it all you want, but pirating is pirating.

    Most developers are regular Joe/Jane users here. You just showed up and said "i know I ripped you off, but now I need help because of it". What gall.
  9. Wax
    Wax is offline
    Wax's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
       #9  
    Allright, thanks for the explanation.

    By the way, I got Preware and Internals up-and-running again, but couldn't find all the old third-party apps and patches I installed before the reset. I'm not sure if they're still actually on the device and just not being recognized (indexed? not familiar with linux very much....) I tried using the Emergency Reconstruction Utility but it didn't really work; the only thing that seems to work is re-installing the patches (even though some of them 'survived the reset' and some didn't), in which case I get a "hunk" error when trying to re-install and already-installed patch.

    In a couple instances I was able to uninstall an old patch and reinstall it, but I think overall, I'm just going to have to wipe the device and start over. I keep getting a lot of weird IPKG errors when I'm installing apps or patches too, especially when updating. Tried installing the Emergency Fstab patch and that seemed to help a little, but I think a clean wipe might be the best thing to do.

    Thanks for the help.
  10. #10  
    In /media/internal/.webosinternals.patches.packages should list all the patches you had installed. Not sure of a log beyond that if you didn't have Save/Restore app installed.
  11. Wax
    Wax is offline
    Wax's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Sorry, but how do you know I am not the developer of that game?? You can try to justify it all you want, but pirating is pirating.

    Most developers are regular Joe/Jane users here. You just showed up and said "i know I ripped you off, but now I need help because of it". What gall.
    You're right; it was a little pretentious, and for that I apologize. But this is a subject that I'm intimately familiar with; I'm an entertainment and technology journalist and I've been covering digital piracy in some form or another for almost 10 years now, as well as gaming.

    I'm also very familiar with the independent developer scene; I know that the majority of mobile developers aren't getting a paycheck from Popcap or some big studio and they rely on every purchase for supplemental income. That being said, I still believe that if a developer wants to put a substantial price tag on an application or game, he or she should offer a trial version for users to download first. If that developer really believes that they've created something worth paying for, they should have enough faith in their product to offer a trial, instead of relying on hit-and-run sales. Don't you agree?
  12. Wax
    Wax is offline
    Wax's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    In /media/internal/.webosinternals.patches.packages should list all the patches you had installed. Not sure of a log beyond that if you didn't have Save/Restore app installed.
    By the way, thanks for the tip, especially considering the circumstances. I found the patches list you referenced; is it supposed to be masked by default? Or was it masked when the device reset, which is why all my old patches aren't being indexed anymore? I looked inside the file and sure enough, all the old patches are listed... Will unmasking the file restore the index, restoring those patches so they can be recognized by WebOSQuickInstall and Preware?

    And is there a similar index file for all the third-party apps like BFG Maps, or are those automatically deleted even with a "save data" reset?
  13. #13  
    Look I have to put my two cents in here.

    I believe that it was just a coincidence that this happened and nothing to do with your pirated app, however, it could have been that it wasn't really packaged correctly and when you installed it, it corrupted some database and caused the so called 'index' to get messed up.

    And as much as the Emergency tools can help in most cases, sometimes they just can't help.

    So I suggest that you just doctor your phone to get rid of anything that might have caused the issue. You even might have a corrupted usb partition which is where the apps are now stored (different from the original WebOS when it came out last year).

    That happened to me once before.

    Anyway, I do suggest a doctor and just reinstall all your patches on to a clean doctor'd phone.

    Heck, I do that with each update, it's no big deal to doctor a phone and just start from scratch.

    It just takes some time to complete if you have the amount of apps that I do, I'm about up to 120 apps (some free and most purchased).

    As far as your pirate, well, doctor and your penance is the time you put into rebuilding it.

    If you really are a writer that does articles about pirating, then there is totally no excuse in you doing this.

    OK, people should put out free trial versions, so do, so don't. But because someone decided not to put a free trial version instead of pirating it, just ask someone to review it for you for your article (if that is the truth).

    Or as someone said, use Youtube to watch what is has. If you are an writer, then you know this stuff is on Youtube and there is no excuse for what you've done.

    Just because you want something that is not presently offered does mean you have the right to bend the rules.

    Oh yes, almost forgot, if you are really reviewing an app for an article, why not contact the author and see if he will give you a free copy of the app to review it. If you are really a writer for a publication I'm sure the developer would be more than happy to supply it to you for free to review (and he gets free advertising in return).

    So I have a feeling you are not what you say you are, just because so many people are coming down on you now and your trying to wiggle out of what you've done.

    And I'm so glad you signed on to this website and hopefully Palm will see your post and get the police involved to have you arrested for theft of intellectual properties. And I'm sure Precentral will have to turn over your information to help prosecute you!

    So I hope my solution has helped you in some way!

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  14. #14  
    what a tool
  15. Wax
    Wax is offline
    Wax's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Look I have to put my two cents in here. [...]
    Heh, you're right about the "penance" of having to go through the whole Doctor procedure; I'll give you that!

    Look, as for the rest of your post, I'm not going to get into the whole "proving I am who I say I am" thing because arguments like those just go nowhere in Web forums like these, and it's not relevant to the original topic anyway. The one thing I will say is that I don't review mobile games; that's not my field and that's not why I downloaded a Palm game before buying it. I wanted to try it out before buying it for $10 which, as we've already established, still isn't a "justified" response to a game not having a trial version available.

    Look, if this thread is going to turn into a debate or conversation about the ethical ramifications of mobile app piracy, it should be moved to a new thread (and I'd be happy to engage in any discussions with other members about that subject). But let's not keep bumping this thread unless it's related to the original topic... cool?

Posting Permissions