Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Hi everyone!

My Palm Pre has issues. The issues consist of:

• Broken power button. (Have a piece of paper under the button as a temp solution).
    • Missing USB door cover. (Fell off after having to snap it open so many times with my thumbnail.)
    • And a crack ranging from the USB port (or whatever that proprietary thing is), all the way to the black edge right next to the screen. A chunk has also come off and I'm actually able to see metal next to this crack.
    • Also major oreo effect.

No..I didn't throw my phone. This is simply what has happened to my Pre after just over 1 year of use. That door cover was always annoying to pop out, and I knew it'd go one day. The crack I know is common, although I'm sure the missing door has something to do with it. As is the oreo effect.

The question I have, is will Sprint consider replacing my phone if it's not under the insurance program? I didn't do anything to it, it just has the same known problems other Pre users report. I was hoping I could go into the Sprint store tomorrow, explain to them my phone is about 1 year old, and has these 2 or 3 very common issues. My HOPE was that they'd agree to send me one in return. Is this a realistic wish?

Thanks!
    Call Palm. I had the same crack with the chunk missing. Could you send me a photo of yours? I'll send you one of mine. It is evidence that it is a manufacturing defect, and not some user abuse we caused.

I finally was so sick about it, I called Palm (not Sprint) and told them I was switching to Android because I can't trust this phone to keep working.

My phone surface is flawless except for the crack and missing chunk. No scratches, no scuffs, I've treated it so gently. I have a keyboard button that doesn't fire sometimes, and sometimes it won't turn on from the slider.

They offered to repair it for $100, but they'd keep it for up to 10! days. This is my only phone and the problem was not caused by me. I told them it wasn't good enough. I got passed up a chain. 3rd person offered to send me a replacement for a $400 deposit and a $30 shipping fee. That was fine for me. I have the new one and need to get my info transferred over and the old one sent back.

They might try to blame the missing chunk on me. That is why I want photos of other phones. My crack has also travelled into the screen and there is a yellow halo over the USB port.

My phone is not a year old yet though.

I love Palm and webOS but that hardware was killing it for me. I wanted to show off my phone, but I've hiding it instead, because of the damage.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Sure SFHandyman I'll actually upload it here so everyone can see it. I know the shameful feeling you describe. It's sad

PS - The little specs all over the phone is just dust. Lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    @lqcorsa, not having insurance isn't the best way to go... Sprint will only repair or replace device under insurance. They could fix the problem, but they won't replace the device. You will have to pay for the repairs. If the device is still within the 1yr covered warranty.. then you're best bet is to contact palm, and complain about the oreo effect. They have change two of my phones for that a lot faster than anything else.

Good luck.:-D
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    My wife's Pre had a missing usb door, crack from usb onto screen, and bad oreo, and multiple knicks and scratches. At 11 months old I took it into Sprint and they replaced it with no trouble whatsoever. The guy didn't even look it over, just ordered the refurb. Needless to say, the wife is very happy.
    my theory is that the usb crack often happens when the door isn't completely out of the way when inserting the cable. There seems to be a bit of a gap under the plastic at that spot so the edge can flex a bit if the door gets piched at the edge.

has anyone noticed the door getting pinched by the cable?

I saw that in one I had previously - and replaced for other reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    My wife's Pre had a missing usb door, crack from usb onto screen, and bad oreo, and multiple knicks and scratches. At 11 months old I took it into Sprint and they replaced it with no trouble whatsoever. The guy didn't even look it over, just ordered the refurb. Needless to say, the wife is very happy.
    Because you have insurance. Now.. if that computer had shown differently > Your story would be a lot different.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Hm...well I suppose I could always try. I just didn't wanna look like a goon going in there wanting something that was totally unreasonable, so I thought I'd see what successes or thoughts people had here w/out phone insurance first. So far I hear telling them you're switching is the best way to go. When I was leaving AT&T for Sprint, they offered me totally unheard of plan prices hehe.
    If you've had the phone less than a year, you could try a few Sprint stores, if you have no luck, contact Palm. These issues are well documented and they know it, so they should replace your phone.

If you've had your phone over a year with no insurance, well you can probably forget getting it replaced and look for one on Craigslist or ebay.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I'm also considering repairing it myself.

I can order a brand new front and back housing for the Pre for under $20 from globaldirectparts.com
    Quote Originally Posted by lqcorsa View Post
    I'm also considering repairing it myself.

I can order a brand new front and back housing for the Pre for under $20 from globaldirectparts.com
    I don't think that will take care of your power button issue and the housings don't come with a USB door, in case you care about that.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Trekker, that's a good point I didn't think about that.

But I have good news! I typed in the ##RTN# code, and it says my phone was activated on 9/28/2009! So possibly my phone is actually a few days younger than a year?

[Edit]
    Talking with a Palm rep. right now. He's trying to help me "troubleshoot" the massive crack and power button. Well...I hope this turns out well, I'll let you all know!
    Last edited by lqcorsa; 09/25/2010 at 06:15 PM.
    Trekker, that's a good point I didn't think about that.

But I have good news! I typed in the ##RTN# code, and it says my phone was activated on 9/28/2009! So possibly my phone is actually a few days younger than a year?

[Edit]
    Talking with a Palm rep. right now. He's trying to help me "troubleshoot" the massive crack and power button. Well...I hope this turns out well, I'll let you all know!
    Palm or Sprint should replace it. They can actually fix the power button problem at a Sprint repair center but the USB crack is well documented so they should replace your phone for you.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Alright, I had to call Palm. They were going to charge a $14.95 phone support fee, but I told them I only had my debit card handy (they only accept credit incase they need to refund the fee). I said nevermind, I would contact Sprint. The woman quickly told me that I had the option of going through Palm chat support, and when I told her I already did, she requested the chat reference number. The chat system was apparently bugged though, and she was unable to confirm the chat, and due to my inconvenience, waived the $14.95 fee for me.

I should be sending my phone in to the repair center shortly after getting an instructional email, and if they determine my phone was not damaged due to me inducing the defects, they'll either repair it, or replace it free of charge. The whole - determine if it was customer induced - thing has me a little edgy though. The only other option is to pay a $400 deductable and $30 service fee. Anyone looking at my picture I posted would think I seriously took a hammer to it! I hope that specific service center has the USB issue documented like you say.

I love Palm :-) The lady really seemed to only waive that fee because she could tell my disappointment level was 5 seconds from climbing. She also told me if I had the time, I could let her manager know how helpful she was hehe. And as a guy who has Comcast Cable, and has dealt plenty with one of the worst rated customer support systems in the country, it's quite refreshing to actually feel helped for once. Although, this process isn't over, I have high hopes and I'm quite optimistic about everything now.

PS - You guys were all helpful too. Thanks Trekker for the assurance, RUSH for the advice, and SFHandyMan for the validation. (Although I'm still interested in seeing your USB crack).
    Last edited by lqcorsa; 09/25/2010 at 07:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Well it's been exactly 1 week since I shipped my phone, and I got a new Pre in the mail just now. I didn't have the greatest experience with Palm after my last past. I had to contact them 3 more times because of email errors, website glitches, etc...that they were having. Also, I'm down 1 battery . They did tell me to remove any accessories from it, but hey, I took the battery out and then neatly packaged it alongside the Pre. Not too impressed about paying $45 for a new one. That's more than what an out-of-warranty repair costs.

The phone itself is obviously in brand new condition. The LED button is different, and is now chrome instead of plastic. No oreo effect at all which is great. It feels a little heavier.

But yeah, the battery deal is totally lame...
    Last edited by lqcorsa; 10/04/2010 at 03:36 PM.
    You could have gotten a battery a lot cheaper on Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more. Anyway, I'm glad you got a new pre, and I hope this one serve you a lot better. Ps. I guess you misunderstood the part about not sending anything except the phone itself.. Huh? :-)

Anyway, best of luck to you.~
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Well Rush, I got more than 1 email from Palm all with different instructions on what to do. So yes it was a little hard to understand. And I'm pretty much done waiting for stuff to arrive in the mail now.
    I took the battery out and then neatly packaged it alongside the Pre. Not too impressed about paying $45 for a new one.
    You can get an OEM Palm Pre battery from Amazon, current price is $7.86 shipped.

You can find even cheaper Centro batteries which work fine in the Pre off ebay for $3-$4 shipped.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Well, looks like that's what I'm gonna have to do. Went to the Sprint store, Best Buy, Batteries Plus, and Radio Shack, and NOBODY has one.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, I'm SO burnt out on doing this it's not even funny. If I run in to even 1 more hang, my phone is gonna have another crack in it from me.