Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Hey all! Seriously debating the Pre Plus on Verizon. I've gone from Blackberry Storm to Motorola Droid and am just not happy. I love WebOS and like the Pre enough, even though the screen is a tad small.

However, I do have a few questions for the faithfuls!

1. Is there anything comparable to Google's free voice-activated navigation/GPS? That's one of the saving graces of my Droid.

2. How fast/full is the web browsing?

3. Does the phone fully integrate email/Facebook so that all Facebook notifications come through the Facebook app? Blackberry does this but Android doesn't. (Meaning, I would get a Facebook notifications for all activity, including comments under my status, etc.)

Thanks in advance!!
    hey I just got my vzw pre and I love it! I can't answer your other questions because I haven't had it long enough BUT the web browsing is amazing! Leaps and bounds beyond the bb browser
    I wouldn't switch because I dnt like my Pre. You interested in trading?
    no voice activation yet.

yes to everything else. Go for it!
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Just be aware of the GPS issues with the Verizon Pre Plus before you make the jump. Lots of threads on the boards here about it.
    You could consider waiting a few months to see if HP/Palm releases new hardware.
    Also, there seem to be a lot of negativity threads on Verizon Pre Pluses.
    Like you said... am just not happy! Come and be happy here with the thousands of happy Webos users. Voice activation... i think will soon be implemented on our device. You won't be disappointed. Note: I think the screen is big enough for the size of the phone. I use my pre to do everything. Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    You could consider waiting a few months to see if HP/Palm releases new hardware.
    Also, there seem to be a lot of negativity threads on Verizon Pre Pluses.
    I am thinking of making the switch as well, but from a standard phone. Can you expand on the negativity of Verizon phones?
    Every phone has it's detractors. The pre is no exception. I love my pre so much I replaced both my old phones. I went from a Centro to a BB tour and I was disappointed in it. When I switched my Voyager to a pre, I was happy, so I sold my BB on eBay to fund a used pre. I don't think it's perfect, but it is the best smartphone I've ever owned.

Facebook is better through the browser as the FB app isn't full featured yet. It is improving though.

The browser is way cool. I had a droid [1st gen] for about a week and I had a BB tour for a year. I will not go back to those.

The pre is probably a bad choice for neophytes, those that "just want a phone to make calls", and those that expect it to "be just like an iPhone" [it's better IMHO]

The pre is a good choice for anyone that wants a really cool smartphone that's customizable. Esp if you're a tinkerer.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    I have a Verizon Pre Plus and I love it. However you must know that in general the GPS does not work. Google Maps works great to get directions etc, and will eventually pick up my location most times, but you cannot rely on it.

Other than that as long as you have insurance, all other issues should be taken care of. Expect hardware issues over time esp if you are rough on the phone, primarily if the is gets stuck in headphone mode (seems like putting a cover on the jack would solve this) and "oreo" effect on the slider, where it begins to twist apart.

I know it sounds like a lot, but for a guy like you that sounds like you switch a lot anyways the Pre will keep you happy for awhile. For me there is nothing else at verizon that intrigues me in the slightest.
    I wouldn't recommend the switch right now. There is no equivalent to the free, voice google nave system on the android. The load time of google maps is really slow, like 20 to 30 secs. The gps sometimes takes awhile to link up. The number of free, quality apps is relatively low on WebOS. The battery is awfully short to where I end up with 33% after 7 hours with only 2 short phone calls and some web activity.

HP is hinting at a hardware refresh soon, and web OS 2.0 is right around the corner. Better to sit it out and wait to see what is coming.
    I have been using Verizon for several years and it seems that they always cripple at least one feature on every phone. On the Pre Plus it is the GPS. If you are willing to pay an extra $10.00 a month to get Verizon Navigator you will be able to get a decent lock. However, you can use GPSFix to keep the GPS awake and still get a pretty good GPS. That combined with BFG Maps, an add on application that has a lot of the features that the webOS version of Google Maps lacks, will give you satisfactory GPS service on the Pre Plus. As others have told you we don’t have voice activation as yet but it should be coming

I do love my Pre Plus and Verizon coverage is fantastic. I can’t tell you how many tomes that I have a great signal while my associates are getting dropped calls on AT&T or are roaming on Sprint.

Oh, and Welcome to the Palm Community.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by mattylock View Post
    Hey all! Seriously debating the Pre Plus on Verizon. I've gone from Blackberry Storm to Motorola Droid and am just not happy. I love WebOS and like the Pre enough, even though the screen is a tad small.

However, I do have a few questions for the faithfuls!

1. Is there anything comparable to Google's free voice-activated navigation/GPS? That's one of the saving graces of my Droid.

3. Does the phone fully integrate email/Facebook so that all Facebook notifications come through the Facebook app? Blackberry does this but Android doesn't. (Meaning, I would get a Facebook notifications for all activity, including comments under my status, etc.)

Thanks in advance!!
    If I were you, I'd hold out for a bit. The Pre Plus is almost EOL on Verizon. It might be worth waiting a few more months to see if any new WebOS device is released. Not to mention, the major GPS bug on Verizon's Pre Plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by errzone View Post
    I wouldn't recommend the switch right now. There is no equivalent to the free, voice google nave system on the android. The load time of google maps is really slow, like 20 to 30 secs. The gps sometimes takes awhile to link up. The number of free, quality apps is relatively low on WebOS. The battery is awfully short to where I end up with 33% after 7 hours with only 2 short phone calls and some web activity.

HP is hinting at a hardware refresh soon, and web OS 2.0 is right around the corner. Better to sit it out and wait to see what is coming.
    First post. Where do they all come from?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I'm with you. Have been on BlackBerry for two years, tried Android but didn't love it, use an iPad, and have been really intrigued by WebOS for a long time. Getting a Pre Plus for $70 on a one-year contract with free mobile hotspot is tempting, even with its known glitches. When I tried it in the store, I fell in love with the web browsing and card system. Good luck deciding!
    I love mine. I'm on VZ with a pre plus. I do have the GPS fix on mine but when I switched from my dumbphone which had VZ navigator I dropped it so I could save $10 a month since I only use it occasionally. I decided when I saw a good deal on a Garmin GPS to get it for the few occasions I need it so I'm happy with my Pre Plus as it is with all my wonderful patches, Preware etc.
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    It's a phone and it works. If a full-featured GPS is needed, it ain't one. They sell them elsewhere with no contract for a lot less than a phone with contract and cancellation. But your GPS won't be a WIFI hotspot or send email.

Lots of folks hate the phone they have and covet the one they don't, especially if its on a carrier they are not on and have never used. You know the drill: Cow, Grass, Fence...

The Palm PrePlus works, does what it claims on the carrier that offers it, was bought by HP, just issued an update to the OS, has a user-support system and a number of user-supported enhancements. It lacks the glamour of Jobs, the inevitability of Google, and the advertising support normally accorded a rusty nail.

If it does what you want now, and you will not go into terminal envy upon seeing a new ad, then get it. If you don't pass these two tests, keep looking.

I use the Web, make a few calls, check email a few times, and hook up the pc for a few minutes and the battery lasts. and lasts. But I'm a light user.

Best wishes for success.
    Terry
    How about some straight answers.

No.

Look at youtube for speed comparison tests. Web browsing lacks flash. Scores 132 on HTML5test.com.

Yes, after you install the Facebook app. There's a delay though and I find getting the emails to be better for notification speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
    First post. Where do they all come from?
    Everyone has to have a start somewhere, and not everyone feels the need to say "Hello, my name is ... and I love my Palm"