Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All insights will be appreciated. Regardless of what you have to offer ,
    So since the past month or so. I have being experiencing several issues with my Palm Pre. I easily fixed the other problems with the help of the good folks here, but theres one issue that im still experience and STILL havent found a fix to it. I have quick systems utilities in the background. I use to have tealspeed in the background too but it seems like it makes the Pre hot, so i took it off. Deleted sports calender (didnt need it anyways, after i discovered wonderful google calender options ). I have a variety of apps, but i set them all to not update at all, but still, the Pre seems to heat up especially when charging. So, pretty much, heres the drill. Can you all post apps that you know actually makes the Pre hot?..I'll totally appreciate your input.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    How many apps do you have? Are you overclocking? Here's what I would do:

1) If overclocking, return to stock kernel and see if that makes a difference.

2) Depending on how many apps/patches you have, you could delete a bunch at a time to see if it makes any difference or you could just remove them all and add a few at a time until you start seeing the heating issue.
  3.    #3  
    Im overclocking. F105 Thunderbird. Hopefully patches cant be the source of the heat....I'll try out the stock kernel and see. Thanks for the input!

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    I'm running almost 50 patches, overclock kernal, and I haven't had any heat issue. I can't think of any specific app that would be constantly running ~ that would cause such heat issue. Do you keep your phone on the touchstone charger while using it? Remove all modifications from the device. Run a webos doctor and see what happens. Use this webos doctor version.. Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals.

Best of luck. ^_^
    I dont have a touchstone lol. i know, im probably one of the few people without a touchstone. I compensate with 3 batteries. Thats all i need for the whole day. Actually, i only use one battery a day sometimes.

AWESOME signature GIF. but the overclocking may be tyhe source honestly. mine can handle 1000/500 screenstate, but if im playing games i have to go down to 720. either way, overclocking will generate more heat, just depends if yours can handle it, how hot is it getting exactly?
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
  6.    #6  
    Well, i decided to get rid of everything that i had on the notifications bar. i got rid of quick system tasks,tealspeed,weather now and homing device. I like having them there but i cant help it if they're making the Pre hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I dont have a touchstone lol. i know, im probably one of the few people without a touchstone. I compensate with 3 batteries. Thats all i need for the whole day. Actually, i only use one battery a day sometimes.
    You don't have a touchstone charger. Jason what's up with that dude? lol. however, I hope you get that issue resolve. Webos doctor. Ps. That signature video is cool. (:
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    AWESOME signature GIF. but the overclocking may be tyhe source honestly. mine can handle 1000/500 screenstate, but if im playing games i have to go down to 720. either way, overclocking will generate more heat, just depends if yours can handle it, how hot is it getting exactly?
    Thanks . Its gets as bad as 53 degrees. Thats really hot to me. And i also stepped down to screenstate 1000/500. I use to use my custom profile 1005/500 and all the other shenanigans, but im gonna try a bunch of different things and see which one works. I would really love to keep tealspeed and Quick system task in the notification bar though...

running 1000/500 mine gets that hot, but, dropping it down to 720 cools me off to 45. of course this is while playing angry birds, and not a constant idling temp. so is yours that hot @ idle?!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    You don't have a touchstone charger. Jason what's up with that dude? lol. however, I hope you get that issue resolve. Webos doctor. Ps. That signature video is cool. (:
    I know...i know. But i figured i dont need it lol. And my last last last last....last result will be to doctor lol. I'll hulk smash something if i ever have to doctor again lol.
    running 1000/500 mine gets that hot, but, dropping it down to 720 cools me off to 45. of course this is while playing angry birds, and not a constant idling temp. so is yours that hot @ idle?!
    Nah, its not hot when its idle. But, when im charging, it gets hot. Like, really hot.

P.S Not to get off topic, but did you guys know you chat with Palm with from your phone?...Hold down the power button and push the little "I" to the right of airplne mode. Scroll to the bottom of the page that comes up and you'll see "chat with Palm".

didnt know about the whole chat thing, wonder what kinda help u could get outta them? and have u checked to make sure it is clocking down with the screensate?
  12.    #12  
    didnt know about the whole chat thing, wonder what kinda help u could get outta them? and have u checked to make sure it is clocking down with the screensate?
    I cant check right now because im charging the phone. I dont understand why it gets hot when its charging and also when i use a couple of apps. Not even intensive apps. Apps like tweed and the browser shouldnt make the phone hot.

One strange thing you may want to try is a different battery.

Since you have 3, try one of them per week to see if you get different temp.

The reason why I say that is because I recently bought a new battery online from Amazon, and it surprisingly made a difference. The old battery would run between 42 and 46c, but the new one, same configs, runs about 35c, haven't really seen it jump up past 40c.
    see i had mine at one point running 720 all the time, but it would get too hot when charging. if its anywhere above 500 when charging it gets too hot... or at least mine does. check when its done to see if its clocking down.
    Quote Originally Posted by onekoolfella View Post
    One strange thing you may want to try is a different battery.

Since you have 3, try one of them per week to see if you get different temp.

The reason why I say that is because I recently bought a new battery online from Amazon, and it surprisingly made a difference. The old battery would run between 42 and 46c, but the new one, same configs, runs about 35c, haven't really seen it jump up past 40c.
    good point!
    Jason, I very much doubt that any apps or patches are causing the problem. You are using an unstable testing kernel. I tried a few even F102, and keep finding myself back to the UberKernel. Your first test should be to remove F105, and go back to a more stable kernel. If you have had a kernel previous to the testing kernels in Preware, you really need to run webOS doctor to remove any left over script from the custom kernels. If not, I would suggest going to the UberKernel as it is quite stable and won't cause overheating problems unless you use the wrong govenor like ondemand or in some cases scale below 500MHz.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Jason, I very much doubt that any apps or patches are causing the problem. You are using an unstable testing kernel. I tried a few even F102, and keep finding myself back to the UberKernel. Your first test should be to remove F105, and go back to a more stable kernel. If you have had a kernel previous to the testing kernels in Preware, you really need to run webOS doctor to remove any left over script from the custom kernels. If not, I would suggest going to the UberKernel as it is quite stable and won't cause overheating problems unless you use the wrong govenor like ondemand or in some cases scale below 500MHz.
    What should i run uberkernel on?.....Screenstate?

yes!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I love my thunderbird!...But i guess i'll try uberkernel out and see whats up!
    Do i run it in screenstate or something else?

i keep my uk at 1 ghz constant and it idles at 30 and never goes above 45 in use
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast