Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. bobross's Avatar
    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
       #1  
    This is getting really annoying, how do I make deleting emails off my Pre keep them on the Gmail server?

    Don't tell me the "all mighty Gmail" can't do this. Even Hotmail has a "Sync delete emeil" On/Off option.
  2. #2  
    First of all I love your "BOB ROSS" secondly DH had to soft reset and re-add gmail.

    I just deal with it on the gmail server and delete it off that. I think though (make sure you have it set to delete from server in your preferences) that you have to delete it from the trash bin on your phone to have it completely delete from the server.
  3. #3  
    are you using imap4 or pop3?
  4. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #4  
    The standard/default interface with gmail is IMAP. You cannot stop it from doing what you want unless you set up gmail as a POP account.

    From a browser, access your gmail account and go to settings. Then select Forwarding and POP/IMAP. You will need to make the adjustments here. Additionally you will need to delete the gmail account from your phone and rebuild it using the information from the POP account.

    Good luck and enjoy

    Keep in mind that there will now be no synchronization between your phone and your gmail account.
    Dan
  5. bobross's Avatar
    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    The standard/default interface with gmail is IMAP. You cannot stop it from doing what you want unless you set up gmail as a POP account.

    From a browser, access your gmail account and go to settings. Then select Forwarding and POP/IMAP. You will need to make the adjustments here. Additionally you will need to delete the gmail account from your phone and rebuild it using the information from the POP account.

    Good luck and enjoy

    Keep in mind that there will now be no synchronization between your phone and your gmail account.
    So I need POP and IMAP enabled?
  6. #6  
    The trick I use is to change what the default actions do in the Pre email app.

    In the preferences page, I changed it so stuff I delete goes to All Mail, rather than the trash. Then, I just log-in online, now and then, to clean out what really is trash and file what I need to keep.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  7. #7  
    Assuming the reason you're deleting it off your phone and not off Gmail is because of space concerns on your phone couldn't you just achieve the same goal by reducing the number of days worth of email you sync with Gmail?

    Otherwise if you simply wanted to get it out of your Inbox I would think you should be able to throw it into an archive/sorting folder.
  8. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    The trick I use is to change what the default actions do in the Pre email app.

    In the preferences page, I changed it so stuff I delete goes to All Mail, rather than the trash. Then, I just log-in online, now and then, to clean out what really is trash and file what I need to keep.
    So true. You can use an existing folder or add one and then set your Pre to that folder for delete.

    If you want to set up as a POP acct then you only need pop.
    Dan
  9. #9  
    As others have said, if you don't want it in trash, it is simple to change the folder the Pre sends "deleted" messages to.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobross View Post
    So I need POP and IMAP enabled?
    no, it's either/or. I asked becsuse the answer to the OP is different for each protocol.
  11. bobross's Avatar
    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
       #11  
    I set it up using POP. Now what functionality do I lose? Why this is so effin' complicated I don't know. Hotmail FTW I guess
  12. #12  
    Actually hotmail FTL and why would you setup for POP if you can use IMAP? The whole reason I started using gmail was for IMAP. Sorry if I am missing a reason to use POP, I just can't think of one.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Actually hotmail FTL and why would you setup for POP if you can use IMAP? The whole reason I started using gmail was for IMAP. Sorry if I am missing a reason to use POP, I just can't think of one.
    I was wondering that myself. The best I can think is he wants to keep certain emails on his device outside a set history time and then remove all the others to save disk space.
  14. #14  
    I think when he deletes them he wants them left on the gmail server.

    In POP I think you can set the preferences to do just that.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    I think when he deletes them he wants them left on the gmail server.

    In POP I think you can set the preferences to do just that.
    You can do the same with IMAP, by changing the trash folder as was said above.
  16. #16  
    POP is one-way. You download a copy of the emails and depending on your settings the server either deletes them as downloaded or leaves them on the server. Anything you do to the local copies after that isn't synced to the server.
  17. #17  
    there is simply an option for this in preferences. That's it, that easy. I have mine set to delete on pre and not on gmail.
  18. #18  
    I don't have that option with my gmail or my yahoo. On my comcast I can.
  19. bobross's Avatar
    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
       #19  
    Thank you everyone for all the help and suggestions.
  20. #20  
    Just to clarify:

    In POP Gmail, in your preferences, you get the option to not delete email on the server.

    With IMAP, you can just change where the deleted items go, by directing it to a different folder.

    The difference is, if you use POP you don't get an instant PUSH to your phone, it only checks at specific intervals.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!

Posting Permissions