Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Every time I go to send a text message, right as i press send, the phone will go into phone offline mode, and i have to restart it to get it back online. Then i can send one or two texts and it will do the same thing all over again

I have 1.4.5 on a sprint pre, and only have a theme installed. I'm past my one year palm warranty. I bought my phone from Best Buy, how can i get a new phone? or fix mine?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    uh oh.

I had this, except it went phone offline and stayed that way no matter what. I sold it to rwhitby for spare parts, and he confirmed the modem was broken. (it was out of warranty).

I'm now stuck with a nexus one (it's nice, but it's not webos!) until the new palm phone comes out.
  3.    #3  
    I performed a quick test and one out of 5 times, it said modem error
    Happened to me, as bennish said your modem is pretty much dead. It's only a matter of time. Try calling Sprint for a replacement. They were very quick with mine.

This problem is becoming more and more prominent and really needs to be addressed by Palm. I have a feeling this will be the Pre's Red Ring.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Had the problem today, reset phone, and then turned Airplane Mode on and then off and it works
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anus1220 View Post
    Happened to me, as bennish said your modem is pretty much dead. It's only a matter of time. Try calling Sprint for a replacement. They were very quick with mine.

This problem is becoming more and more prominent and really needs to be addressed by Palm. I have a feeling this will be the Pre's Red Ring.
    had the same thing happen to me (no service, and error on modem test). Switching to airplane mode and back didn't help, nor did a full restart. What fixed it was opening the phone app and dialing ##633# to turn off telephony services. Then I cycled airplane mode and I had service again. No problems since.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3925 View Post
    had the same thing happen to me (no service, and error on modem test). Switching to airplane mode and back didn't help, nor did a full restart. What fixed it was opening the phone app and dialing ##633# to turn off telephony services. Then I cycled airplane mode and I had service again. No problems since.
    I just tried that, I will inform you if it works. Thank you!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    ah, you see, i doctored mine. and so in order to set it up, it needed to connect to the internet. can you see the problem? i stuffed myself up there. could've done it by wifi, but way too advanced for me.

I felt better when rod whitby let me know that the modem was indeed beyond repair. so there was no chance anyway.

yeah i agree, anus1220... it's concerning. I hope this isn't going to be an issue. Is it only happening with non-plus Pres? Would it happen with the future devices?

Only time will tell.
  9.    #9  
    @matt3925 it didnt work the phone still goes offline
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickafreeman View Post
    @matt3925 it didnt work the phone still goes offline
    that's no bueno...

try the doctor. If that doesn't work, do a secure erase and try doctoring again.

themes are a sketchy area. They can easily cause problems with your phone.
  11.    #11  
    WOwwwwww my phone is out of palm warranty, even though this is a ****ty refurb i got last month
    Sorry you had to go through it man, your best bet is to call Sprint.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    wow, hey, um... i just realised... mine died JUST AFTER installing themes on it.

connection??
  14.    #14  
    Sprint is a changed company. They don't just order you a new phone, you have to go through all these repair centers. It took hours, and I didn't even get a new phone.

PS: It happened after I installed an animated theme. BTW I figured out what is causing the modem error! the MOBILE HOTSPOT app on a 1.4.5 Sprint Pre, causes the modem to not work. I've tested it 3 times after doctoring my pre for the past week.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    i'm concerned that there might be a theme-related modem problem on pres...
    Same thing happened to me. I have no theme though. Just got my phone replaced for the 6th time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3925 View Post
    This just fixed mine, thanks!

I was playing Angry Birds for about 2 hours on my phone and didn't realize how hot the phone got. Govnah showed it at 62 degrees, so i exited the app and just let the phone sit idle till it dropped down to normal temps. Eventually all of my text messages started doubling up and it wasn't showing my outgoing messages so i rebooted the phone. That's when the "Phone Offline" issue started occuring...
    verizon* bleh, its late. :/

So I am aware that this issue is pretty well reported, however I haven't seen any threads on

experiencing it with a Verizon pre plus (as opposed to the original pre on sprint.) nor has any of the tips or suggestions for fixes in these threads been helpful to me. Somewhat randomly today my phone decided to go into "Phone offline" mode and I cannot seem to awake it. At first I thought it was an issue with the "advanced phone menu" patch I have installed so I attempted to resolve the issue through that patch with no effect. I uninstalled the patch; no effect. I restarted the phone; no effect. I powered down the phone and removed the battery; no effect. I turned airplane mode on and off; no effect. I've turned on airplane mode, shut down the phone, and toggled airplane mode off; no effect. I've turned off the phone radio through the phone app and toggled airplane mode on and off; no effect.

I'm not completely opposed to just resetting the device with webos doctor but I want to be sure that will resolve my issue. And yes, I am running 1.4.5. Any suggestions guys?
    <<Thread Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I started having this issue a couple of weeks ago after installing a theme, but it seemed to fix itself temporarily if I recycled airplane mode. This week I doctored and haven't seen it since then. Verizon pre+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast