Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    So, a few days ago, my 11 month old Sprint Pre went through 35 mins in a high efficiency washing machine. By the time I had noticed it was still in my work pants, it was far too late to stop it. The machine locks itself after it is started, with no way to stop it at all. I was sure it was done for, no question about it.

When I finally recovered it, the screen was dead of course, and the gesture button, and right LED were about 25% lit up. I pulled the battery quickly, and began drying it out with paper towels, then used a blow dryer alternating warm and cool air for about 10 mins, then let it sit in a large bag of rice. I took it out after 4 hours, feeling it was hopeless anyway. I used the blow dryer on it again, and popped the battery in. The same 2 LEDs turn on as soon as the battery is in? Odd. I try the power to no avail.

A few hours later, I try it again, and notice the slightest bit of lighting on the screen, the battery symbol. I put it on the touchstone, and notice it's getting slightly brighter as it seemed to charge, and eventually showed the Palm logo. My mind was shocked, the launcher screen was very dark and washed out, the LCD lines very pronounced. No touchscreen input at all. I let it charge through the night...

The next day, the screen is recovering even more, seeming to be at about 50% of the selected brightness. Touchscreen is almost back to normal! I was dumbstruck at this point, seeing my waterlogged Pre gaining more functionality. The LEDs are constantly on however. It is almost back to normal by now. But the squeaky clean Pre didn't keep EVERYTHING....

Here's what seems to be permanently damaged. The bluetooth radio cannot be turned on, it stays in a constant trying-to-turn-on state, through any method I try. Ouch. The headphone jack is barely audible, has less than 5% it's normal volume. Basically useless. Double ouch. The screen has a very small amount of water damage in it, only noticeable at certain angles. I have some random ghost tapping and dragging instances once in a while. No big deal there, I can handle that. The battery life is a bit lower, but I think it mostly has to do with the last problem - the proximity sensor will often trigger the Pre to turn the screen back on right as it fades down. As in, the screen will get stuck in these loops, and not turn itself off. Doesn't happen all the time, but a lot of the time. I make more use of my spare battery now. :]

I am personally shocked that it can even turn on, much less still have phone, data, wifi, GPS, microphone/both speakers, and everything else perfect. If the Pre is known for bad hardware, then I swear mine is the equivalent of an airplane blackbox.

Whew..... Sorry that was so long-winded. Just wanted to share my semi-waterproof Pre resuscitation story. :]
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    the phone definitely has bad build quality overall but there are definitely some out there that are about indestructible. my first pre went to hades and back and still worked fine. i lost that one because it refused to sign me into my profile after a hard reset. im glad yours is somewhat working.
    If it happens again, do NOT try turning it on! Pull the battery and put them in a bag of rice to dry for several days. Do not use a hairdryer on it. After a few days, you can pull it out and try turning it on. There are more detailed posts about this on these boards that you can search for.

I don't know what kind of washer you have, but I've never seen one that doesn't turn off mid-cycle. I have and have had HE washers and they all can be turned off, such as by an off button. I'm sure for safety's sake there has to be a way to turn them off!
    A harrowing tale. Incredible that it has the functionality that is does.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Why were you in such a hurry to get out of your pants, that you forgot to remove your phone from them? Ants?

It's pretty amazing that your pre works at all after going through the wash. Pre's are tougher than most people give them credit for(including myself). I've also had my pre for 11 months and dropped it from around 3 feet 3 times and no issues, but some scratches and almost invisible spider cracks in the front half plastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post

I don't know what kind of washer you have, but I've never seen one that doesn't turn off mid-cycle. I have and have had HE washers and they all can be turned off, such as by an off button. I'm sure for safety's sake there has to be a way to turn them off!
    Have you used public ones? My apt. building has HE washers that lock but I've never sat through the whole cycle. It would make a little sense if public ones couldn't be turned off and unlocked.

OP: Public?
    To bad it was no HP washing machine - it might have come out with an upgrade!

(sorry, couldn't resist )
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    If it happens again, do NOT try turning it on! Pull the battery and put them in a bag of rice to dry for several days.
    Oh yes, I was well aware that I was trying to turn it on way too early, I was positive the Pre was done for, no hope at all. I originally was going to leave it for a day, but as I share rides with my girlfriend right now, I needed to have it working. I am shocked I didn't fry it after the 4 hour drying. I'll explain the washer lock situation more in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Why were you in such a hurry to get out of your pants, that you forgot to remove your phone from them? Ants?

It's pretty amazing that your pre works at all after going through the wash.
    Pfffahahaha, no, just wanted to start laundry after a long day of work. I could have sworn I set it on the touchstone right before, but I didn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Have you used public ones? My apt. building has HE washers that lock but I've never sat through the whole cycle. It would make a little sense if public ones couldn't be turned off and unlocked.

Well, it's a brand new machine just put into my condo building. I do agree, and it was the first time using the washer. It said right on there, that there was no way to stop it. The power cord is inaccessible, too. Just can't move the machines to reach it.

I actually was calling from my girl's Pixi and it rang the first few times, but then it started going right to voicemail, and I was sure it was locked in there after that, haha!

Overall, my Pre is almost completely functional, except I can only listen to music through the external speaker... that's by far the worst, considering I used A2DP bluetooth and the headphone jack alllll the time. The ghost dragging and taps are kind of entertaining, one time it just looked like raindrops on my home screen for like 10 seconds, like over 100 taps. It looked cool! xD
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    To bad it was no HP washing machine - it might have come out with an upgrade!

(sorry, couldn't resist )
    Pfffahaha, nice one... Yeah, it'd spit out a little $10 HP.com gift card. "Good towards the purchase of one WebOS phone!"

On another note, I believe Asurion would allow a claim on the device, as I have Sprint TEP, and water damage is covered. The one battery's water sensor is pinkish now, so I think it would qualify. However, I'm thinking I might try out a Sprint Pre Plus hack, considering the comm board seems to be fine. I think that would solve everything!

Oh, and the battery sensors are even more out of control, I've calibrated one of them with Dr. Battery a few weeks ago and saw a 70% to 0% drop yesterday. But, I was surprised at how slowly it had been going down, it still lasted the same 5-6 hours (with 3 different batteries) after the wash now. It used to be 10-14.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post

No, sorry, haven't ever used a public washer. I guess a locking feature would make a bit of sense on those, though I've heard of ppl taking others' clothes out of them before, so maybe not all of them lock.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Well, it's been about a week now, and I tried turning on bluetooth on a whim today. It actually turned on, paired and worked no problem! It actually seems to pair up faster/better than it used to! I don't know what was wrong with it, but it couldn't pair with anything the couple times I got it turned on before. Very weird! Also, the proximity sensor problem isn't as bad as it used to be.

No change in the LEDs that are stuck on, though. Headphone jack is a lost cause (not that I used it much anyway).. No big deal. The ghost tapping is about the same, but when I was just reading in the browser, there was a chain of like 25 tap ripples that went off in an upward drag. It looked really cool! Ha... Oh well, if bluetooth continues to function, I have no problem keeping this device until I get the next WebOS phone!

I'm gonna take some pictures soon to show how well the screen recovered. Going from the entire screen being so flooded it could barely display the battery low symbol, to having very minor light splotching on a small area, is just crazy. Maybe the touchstone heat helped dry it out more? Who knows!
    too bad you turned on your Pre so soon...if you had been patient, waited 3 days it could have totally worked 100% by now.

good going.
    I heard a sales rep talk about spraying brake cleaner fluid into the Pre if water gets in. Of course he didn't recommend this, it was just something he heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by azumak View Post
    Pfffahaha, nice one... Yeah, it'd spit out a little $10 HP.com gift card. "Good towards the purchase of one WebOS phone!"

On another note, I believe Asurion would allow a claim on the device, as I have Sprint TEP, and water damage is covered. The one battery's water sensor is pinkish now, so I think it would qualify. However, I'm thinking I might try out a Sprint Pre Plus hack, considering the comm board seems to be fine. I think that would solve everything!

Oh, and the battery sensors are even more out of control, I've calibrated one of them with Dr. Battery a few weeks ago and saw a 70% to 0% drop yesterday. But, I was surprised at how slowly it had been going down, it still lasted the same 5-6 hours (with 3 different batteries) after the wash now. It used to be 10-14.
    Well before you attempt the mod, make sure your mobile radio, GPS and Wi-Fi still works, as those are tied to the comms board.
    A ruggedized pre would be really nice. And it doesn't need to be thick and ugly to do so. Check out the Sony Cybershot TX5 camera, for example.
    : (){:|:&};: