Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Hi,
    This is the first time I have posted here in a long time. I was a day one pre owner... after about 5 months and 4 pres later (I couldnt stand the screen discoloration issue and one pre just died) I decided to buy an iphone to see what all the hype was about. I still have an iphone (now iphone 4). I am happy with it but the jailbreak is what adds so much missing functionality that keeps me with iphone. I just bought a bad esn sprint pre on ebay for $65 (which turned out to be good esn when i checked with sprint . I bought it to jailbreak my ps3 (http://www.precentral.net/pre-used-jailbreak-ps3) because it was the cheapest method and most readily available (I have now done the jailbreak and it is awesome to backup my games to my hdd. plus my pre never forgets the usb hack unless i reboot) I also wanted to see how the palm apps scene was growing a year later. When I got my pre I soon discovered that the speaker was blown(I complained to the seller and he gave me $20 back in exchange for positive feedback)... I can hear very low volume and when i suck on the speaker it sounds fine... I have searched everywhere and found no replacement parts for it...someone else mentioned that this might work Digi-Key - CDMG13008L-02-ND (Manufacturer - CDMG13008L-02). I took the pre apart and took out the speaker and cleaned it with no luck.I have attached a pic of the speaker. It comes assembled in this plastic enclosure so I don't want to take it apart and try to solder that other speaker from Digi-Key - CDMG13008L-02-ND (Manufacturer - CDMG13008L-02). Plus last time I tried to solder anything was when was being cheap trying to install a mod chip myself on my ps2 and burned the motherboard lol. Does anyone have any info on where I can find a speaker?? I dont want to spend another $50-70 on a spare parts pre just for a speaker!!!!! any info leading to help would be much appreciated..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cell128; 09/24/2010 at 01:58 AM.
    Hi cell128 - welcome back!

You might want to try the following thread one of the other members started for people who need parts.

http://forums.precentral.net/marketp...ts-thread.html

Good luck with the search!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    thanks for the quick reply!!! I will go check it out right now
    I still have one shoot me a pm...
    Are you sure it is blown? I had a bunch of metal filings in my speaker. Cleaned it out by carefully pick out the filings with a magnetized small screwdriver and it was back to full volume again.

The stock grille on the speaker is too coarse and lets stuff through. I ended up putting surgical tape over it, and have not had that problem since. Knocks down the sound quality a notch, but it is still acceptable.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frause View Post
    Are you sure it is blown? I had a bunch of metal filings in my speaker. Cleaned it out by carefully pick out the filings with a magnetized small screwdriver and it was back to full volume again.

The stock grille on the speaker is too coarse and lets stuff through. I ended up putting surgical tape over it, and have not had that problem since. Knocks down the sound quality a notch, but it is still acceptable.
    Yes I cleaned it really good. I didn't want to cut it open though because I was afraid to not be able to piece it back together.
    The speaker may not be blown. The headphone jack switch might be stuck due to inserting a headphone or speaker jack.
    Take a very thin screwdriver or nail and insert carefully into the headphone jack. Press down until you hear a click and that should release the switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
    I can hear very low volume and when i suck on the speaker it sounds fine...
    Oh my, this has reached a new level in trouble shooting hardware.
    Wow...I searched this post for blown speakers, cause thats what I thought is wrong with mine, and holy crap! Sucking on the speaker makes it sound right!!! My kids think I'm cooked...but it worked!!! Now what? I have the insurance.....