1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,

I can't find this on the forums anywhere but I know it has been discussed.

What are the exact steps to first charge a Pre battery so that it will have the best capacity possible and last the longest.

I've heard something like letting it charge completely and keeping it charging for a day straight and then letting it die completely and charge completely 5 times in a row.

What about doing a calibration with Dr.Battery? Would that help doing that after the first charge?
    There is no need to condition your battery, just charge it fully and start using it normally.

The trick to these batteries is to top it off as often as possible.

Any chance I get to charge for 5 or 10 mins is a good thing, Usually adds an extra hour or two a day to the run time.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    There is no need to condition your battery, just charge it fully and start using it normally.

Any chance I get to charge for 5 or 10 mins is a good thing, Usually adds an extra hour or two a day to the run time.
    Thats interesting... because i had always been under the impression that if you want your battery to last its longest you should charge it as little as possible. As in let it go from 100% to 20%ish and then charge it up fully and then let it discharge again without charging it up in the middle.

Also, since you seem to know , I know the pre gets to 100%, drops to 95%, and then goes back up again when its on the charger. And I know thats to protect the pre from over charging. However, I let it get to 100% before i sleep and then take it off the touchstone to protect the battery. Am I helping my battery last longer or am I being silly? lol
    My battery (according to the dr. battery) is still at 99% health after 9 mos. so I think my way works pretty good.

Li/ion batteries dont have memory effect like the older ni/cd batteries did. Its best to charge li/ion batteries as often as possible.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

^^correct
  6.    #6  
    Is it bad to let the battery die completely?

I let my battery die completely about 4 times a week. It just happens because I am running around and dont have a charger.

My battery is 4 months old and Dr.Battery says it's health is at 84%
    Li/ion batteries dont have memory effect like the older ni/cd batteries did. Its best to charge li/ion batteries as often as possible.
    ^^What she said. For max life charge Li-ion batts as often as possible. If you let it go dead that's not nessasarly horrific....but a year down the road, all things being equal, your battery will be in worse shape then if you had it on a TS all day.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I was lucky enough to have to have my wall charger replaced thus I ended up with a 2nd USB cord. Now i keep that at work and keep my phone charged all day during the week. On weekends it goes nearlly 20 hours before I need to charge it.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Well, my phone will be sitting on the TS every chance it gets! Thank you all!! I used to feel guilty for "over charging" but not anymore
    Here's probably more than you ever wanted to know about lithium-ion batteries.

Charging lithium-ion batteries

My battery (according to the dr. battery) is still at 99% health after 9 mos. so I think my way works pretty good.
    I'm willing to bet that your battery really isn't at 99% health, especially if you never let it discharge very low. If you did, you would probably get the "sudden death" syndrome where once it discharged to a certain percentage (such as 20 or 25%) it would suddenly drop to zero.

The reason I say this is because I have a Mugen 1400 battery that I seldom let get below 40%, I always charged it. I used the battery for 9-10 months.

Initial Dr. Battery reading:
    Health: 94%
    MFG Rating: 1363 mAh
    Calculated left: 1288 mAh

Not bad....right? Well, I decided to let the battery drain and noticed that once it hit around 20%, it would immediately drop to 0.

So, I calibrated it using Dr. Battery.

Dr. Battery Reading after calibration:
    Health: 78%
    MFG Rating: 1363 mAh
    Calculated left: 1063 mAh

That's a big change. Good news is, it no longer does the "20%" death drop. The bad news is, it's not really at 94% health like I had thought.

So, if you have a battery that you've been using awhile, don't let the initial Dr. Battery readings fool you into thinking you have more capacity than you do. You really need to calibrate the battery to get the correct "health."

Edit: I'm not disagreeing with the fact that it's better to keep these batteries charged as much as possible. It's not good for the battery to let it constantly discharge to a low level...but you should calibrate it every so often (a few times a year) so that you get a more accurate capacity reading.
    Last edited by Trekker; 09/26/2010 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Added info