Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Hi, everyone. Long-time lurker here, finally posting. Love the PreCentral community!

I'll try not to bore you with the details. I'm a longtime BlackBerry user who's been thinking of WebOS for several months. I like BB's simplicity but may want to try something new. I tried the Pre Plus in the store and loved the form factor and operating system, but instead jumped on the bandwagon and tried Android, which wasn't for me.

I can pick up a Pre Plus for $70 on a one-year contract since it's nearing EOL. I'm well aware of the hardware issues, but I figure the worst that can happen is I have it for a year and get acquainted with WebOS until something new comes out (hopefully another HP/Palm). Would the one-year warranty cover most of these issues? I'm really not interested in waiting several months for new hardware.

My main concern is I have RoadRunner and domain (GoDaddy) e-mail pushed to my BB ... will those be compatible with the Pre Plus? I've read about problems syncing RoadRunner and I don't know how many people use GoDaddy (had some hiccups setting it up on the Android). I have a gmail account from when I set up the Android, but I prefer to use these other two.

I really appreciate your opinions on whether I should just go for it while it's still available. Thanks!
    I think you should do it.
    I went from two devices (bb curve and palm centro) to the pre+ and I love it. As long as your contract is only 12 months you should be ok. What carrier? I think you an get them free through the hp site, too.

also, I use a godaddy domain, end email works fine.

you will love webOS.
    the warranty should be all you need, too. Unless you drop it or lose it.

might want to put a GRT case on it.

I have insurance on mine.
    does VZ have a 30 day return policy? If so, take the Pre Plus for a test spin to see if it will work with godaddy the way you would like. I really can't comment on how it would perform w/godaddy as I don't have a godaddy domain.
    I come from a long BB history as well, and until the Pre came out I lugged around my BB and my Samsung i500 WebOS device
    i use roadrunner email also. i have never had any problems syncing it.. webos is the best os on the market, and i am still using my original 10 month old sprint pre, with no hardware problems whatsoever... if you take care of your electronics, i feel confident in saying you will have no problems either.

so yes, by all means, get the phone. you wont regret it
    I also have the sprint pre and have had no hardware issues as long as you don't abuse the phoneand bang it up alot you shouldn't have issues and the webOS comunity is great there are all sorts of patches you can add to the phone to make it do much more including over clocking the processor it by far the best phone I've ever had
    so, has the OP ordered the phone yet?
    Just be prepared for any hardware issues. I bought a brand new ppp off of e-bay and had to send it off for repair because it was stuck in head set mode despite every trouble shoot available. I enjoyed the phone for the 3 weeks that I had it (still waiting for Palm to send it back) just be prepared for potential problems.
    when you have warranty issues, call the carrier, not palm.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I have been using two roadrunner email accounts for 15+ months with no problems. If you are aware of the hardware issues and are ok with it, go ahead. I am on my 3rd Pre bit have had no issues with this one for about a year. You will love webos.
    One year contract? Go for it. You have 30 days. But i think two years would be too long because of the hardware issues.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Get a Pre Plus if you have much music to put on it. Picking and choosing which songs/albums/artists to include on my Sprint Pre is a drag.

Other than that, enjoy the Palm WebOS goodness - it's like going from Win95 to a Mac. A few new habits to learn and tricks to it, but overall, waaayyy smoooother user experience!

There is one drawback though - after using a Palm Pre for long, if you have to use someone else's handicapped (Android or Black Berry or iPhone) phone, you will feel kind of silly just starting to type or swiping at the screen, when nothing happens. Just give your less fortunate friends/co-workers a pitying word of condolence or two, and then pull out your Palm and get 'er done!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Have had the ppp on verizon since around the fourth of july i like it alot myself. i cant compare other op systems but reading what others have written just typing and either search the phone or go straight to google is an awesome thing. be advised though ( if you are talking about verizon service ) that you will become like the proverbial unwanted red headed step child. I got on board when the verizon free mobile hotspot promo was on, you might want to check into it if its still going, i have free mobile hotspot for contract life that others were being charged $40 a month extra for. ie. i get the 5 gigabyte mobile hotspot for 5 devices at no extra charge , which was the deal sealer for me. Wish also adobe would quit *****-footing around with us either flash will or will not be available. also be aware that you will need higher capacity battery or extra batteries as using the phone the way its designed goes through em like water through a spigot. happy hunting and if you choose to you will love webos
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    THANK YOU! All these responses have cemented my decision to order the Pre Plus and Touchstone bundle today. So I hope you're all just as helpful next week! Ha.

I think I will love WebOS, from what I've seen. It's too bad most customers won't even know about it because it's so overlooked (I'll post more on that in the Verizon thread).
    Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    Try to get a Pre off-contract on either Craigslist or eBay. So long as the seller took care of the device, you aren't buying their problems. I got a Pre off of Craigslist for $60 because (1) the seller didn't know how to activate it and (2) he accidentally bought the phone thinking it was the GSM model for AT&T.

There is absolutely no reason to allow anyone to subsidize the purchase of this phone in exchange for a two year prison sentence - at most this is a one-year contract phone with the possibility of parole at 8 months. Whether you spent $60 or $160 up front for the phone, you are still paying $30 a month for data with Verizon, or $15 with AT&T minimum. If you have the money to do so, try to find something off contract around the $150 range. Just be sure to verify the MEID of the phone with Customer Service before money exchanges hands.

Palm put out an excellent product. After having mine for two weeks the only regret that I have is that I didn't get this phone originally - and I'm coming from the Android camp. I've owned and operating devices running Palm OS, BB OS, Windows Mobile and Android. Palm got just about everything right with these device. There are quirks, as there are with any advanced device, but in time you will grow to understand and appreciate the differences. What sold me on the Pre was this:

50 cards opened at once. No immediate, noticeable slow down of the device. I was able to resume my game of Angry Birds!

Couldn't do that with my Droid Eris.
    Quote Originally Posted by SydK View Post
    THANK YOU! All these responses have cemented my decision to order the Pre Plus and Touchstone bundle today. So I hope you're all just as helpful next week! Ha.

I think I will love WebOS, from what I've seen. It's too bad most customers won't even know about it because it's so overlooked (I'll post more on that in the Verizon thread).
    Just be very aware of the GPS issues faced with a VZW Pre Plus. If GPS is important, be aware that neither VZW nor Palm seem to be interested in fixing the issue in the near term and possibly never.

Other than that and the other previously identified hardware issues you won't be disappointed.
    Just a different opinion although you seem decided -

Palm have stated and reconfirmed time and again that webOS 2.0 will hit in 2010. It would come as a surprise to many if 2.0 was released without a new device strapped to its back. Looking at the sales calendar, Palm can release in October or November, patiently waiting for Microsoft to release WP7 and Google to release Gingerbread before bringing their own horse out of the stable, and still be well in the christmas shopping season.
    The slow info drip we're on right now just shows that they don't want to repeat a debacle like with the Pre, where it took them half a year to get it from announcement to retail, and where Apple waited with the iPhone 3GS release in order to get the wind out of Palm's sails. They do NOT want to release their new phone now and have the tech blogs totally abandon them and only talk about Android two days later when Gingerbread comes out. They want the exact opposite to happen.

That said, if you get a Pre Plus now, you'll get a cheap but good webOS experience... but if you wanna wait just a bit and spend some more dough, there may be nicer things in store for you. Although there are legitimate reasons to not want either, in which case, a Pre Plus is gonna suit you just awesomely
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    They do NOT want to release their new phone now and have the tech blogs totally abandon them and only talk about Android two days later when Gingerbread comes out.
    You are exactly right, and that is why I want to have nothing to do with product release in a market like this, ever.

Let's say they wait until Gingerbread is released, as you say. Then HTC/Samsung/Motorola comes along two days later and announces a new phone that has an 87Ghz processor and 256GB of RAM, and 1TB onboard storage (numbers purposefully exaggertated). Now, there sits HPalm with their piddly 2Ghz processor, 1GB of RAM and 16GB onboard storage with an SD slot to accommodate up to 64GB.

You always face the problem of someone else announcing something after you that is better than yours. So, what happens if you wait for the other people to announce their stuff and it blows yours out of the water (even if it is not excessively better, but marginally better)? Then you have to make the decision to not announce anything and go back to the drawing board.

Personally I feel that is what happened with Palm. Whatever device they had in the pipeline before acquisition was trumped by the EVO, and others, now HPalm had to go back to the drawing board.

IMHO, if I were the release manager, I would say you make the best device you possible can and get it to market as quickly as possible. The reason? So that you can go back and start on the next device which will be even more impressive. Forget about this "waiting" game, you only set yourself back further.