1.    #1  
    I always used the Palm contacts account as a default so new contacts created on my Pre would be Palm contacts. I'd like to sync all of my Palm contacts to my online google account. I know that anything I create in Google syncs to my phone, but how do I get them to go the other way Thanks for the help!
    have you been putting them in your palm profile with your phone? if so, you need the patch that will let you email them to yourself as a .csv file. Then you can import them into google and delete them from your palm profile.

the big (and stupid) limitation of the current palm profile implementation is that you cant access the contents from anything other than your phone. that's why I recommend that you never put contacts or any other info in your profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by packpackpack View Post
    I always used the Palm contacts account as a default so new contacts created on my Pre would be Palm contacts. I'd like to sync all of my Palm contacts to my online google account. I know that anything I create in Google syncs to my phone, but how do I get them to go the other way Thanks for the help!
    The previous answers were correct, but they really didn't address your specific question.

You cannot sync the contacts in your Palm account to Google, that's not the way the Pre is designed to work. The contact manager on the Pre simply gathers the contacts from multiple accounts.

Currently, the contacts in the Palm account reside only on the Pre, and as a backup in your Palm Profile on Palm's servers.

I would recommend you import the contacts as described above, and reset Google as your default account. The entries will show on your Pre, but will be saved in Google.
  4.    #5  
    I have been putting them in my Palm profile but I also have both facebook and Gmail contacts there as well. If I use the patch, will I be able to select which account I export as a csv? I'd hate to import duplicates into my Google. Thanks again!
  5.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by packpackpack View Post
    I have been putting them in my Palm profile but I also have both facebook and Gmail contacts there as well. If I use the patch, will I be able to select which account I export as a csv? I'd hate to import duplicates into my Google. Thanks again!
    I suppose I can remove both Facebook and Google accounts in my contacts preferences/accounts, then export all contacts, import to Google, then re-add Facebook and Google...Yup, that should work.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Sounds like you got it.

First I think you want to remove your gmail account and facebook account from your contacts.

FYI, your contacts app will tell you how many contacts are in each account.

Anyway, you will then want to export your contacts in the CSV file.

I would then import these new contacts into your gmail contacts and verify all contacts were properly added.

Before you reconnect your contacts app to your google account I would delete all the old palm contacts. You might consider the swipe to delete contact patch, it will make this faster if you have lots of contacts.

Once all delete and clean and happy, re-add your gmail and facebook contact accounts.

Good luck.
    Dan
    remember that if you want to remove those accounts from your Pre, you have to remove them in: Contacts, Photos, and Calendar apps.

before you do that, turn off the automatic back-up. remove the accounts, then turn automatic backup on and force a back up.

I learned that the hard way... Apparently that is being fixed in webOS 2.0 BTW.
    How do you view your Google contacts on your desktop computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    you view them with a browser.

google doesn't have a desktop app. another reason to use outlook for some users (including me).
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    remember that if you want to remove those accounts from your Pre, you have to remove them in: Contacts, Photos, and Calendar apps.

before you do that, turn off the automatic back-up. remove the accounts, then turn automatic backup on and force a back up.

I learned that the hard way... Apparently that is being fixed in webOS 2.0 BTW.
    The accounts do not have to be deleted from each application, only the contacts. When you add a new account, the synergy function of the phone automatically attaches it to each application but you can remove the individual connections as you wish. For example, in my email I have google accounts for (mine, wife's, family - for google voice) but in calendars i have mine and family and in contacts I have mine and family. This works.

Also, don't need to turn off backup since you won't be doing a USB erase. I would recommend cycling the backup once everything is as desired when done so as to purge old backups.

Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    Excel will let you look, edit, etc. I often use Excel to manage my contacts if I am modifying something to many. (groups, birthdays, etc.)
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    The accounts do not have to be deleted from each application, only the contacts. When you add a new account, the synergy function of the phone automatically attaches it to each application but you can remove the individual connections as you wish. For example, in my email I have google accounts for (mine, wife's, family - for google voice) but in calendars i have mine and family and in contacts I have mine and family. This works.

Also, don't need to turn off backup since you won't be doing a USB erase. I would recommend cycling the backup once everything is as desired when done so as to purge old backups.

Excel will let you look, edit, etc. I often use Excel to manage my contacts if I am modifying something to many. (groups, birthdays, etc.)
    actually, you DO have to delete them on all of those apps, unless something changed in 1.4.5

As I said, I learned that the hard way...

... and "usb erase" has nothing to do with what the backup app backs up to your palm profile.

are we using the same phone?
    I meant is there a website or web address or a way to log onto your google contacts from your computer. Like I do for google docs, etc.

For example, say I forgot my phone at home but I want to look up my contact list.
    yes, you would point your PC browser to gmail.com
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    actually, you DO have to delete them on all of those apps, unless something changed in 1.4.5

As I said, I learned that the hard way...

... and "usb erase" has nothing to do with what the backup app backs up to your palm profile.

are we using the same phone?
    Apparently we are not. If the OP just wants to remove the contacts he only has to delete the account in the contacts app. That's it.

I have done it dozens of times.
    Dan
    You can remove your contacts account for Gmail/Facebook and still upload vids to FB, still use your Gmail account, etc. The only thing that is all or nothing is Exchange.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Apparently we are not. If the OP just wants to remove the contacts he only has to delete the account in the contacts app. That's it.

I have done it dozens of times.
    that is true to remove the contacts and continue. The OP seems to want to put them back after migrating the Palm Profile contacts. In order to put them back, they will need to first remove them completely - as of the last time I tried it (prior to 1.4.5).

It's all good.
    Sounds like you got it.

First I think you want to remove your gmail account and facebook account from your contacts.

FYI, your contacts app will tell you how many contacts are in each account.

Anyway, you will then want to export your contacts in the CSV file.

I would then import these new contacts into your gmail contacts and verify all contacts were properly added.

Before you reconnect your contacts app to your google account I would delete all the old palm contacts. You might consider the swipe to delete contact patch, it will make this faster if you have lots of contacts.

Once all delete and clean and happy, re-add your gmail and facebook contact accounts.

Good luck.
    I tried to delete all the old palm contacts, but they just reappear. I am also only able to delete those entries that are on the screen of the Pre and maybe 2-3 of the "off screen" names; I use swipe to delete and the names scroll up till those 2-3 "off screen" scroll up and it's blank below them.

This is quite a pain.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toaste View Post
    I tried to delete all the old palm contacts, but they just reappear. I am also only able to delete those entries that are on the screen of the Pre and maybe 2-3 of the "off screen" names; I use swipe to delete and the names scroll up till those 2-3 "off screen" scroll up and it's blank below them.

This is quite a pain.
    To get them to not reappear you have to do this:
    For a Pre-2.x device (pun intended)
    from a shell/term prompt ->
    Do this:
    Deleting All Palm Pre Contacts

and add this as the last sql command
    DELETE FROM com_palm_pim_Contact;