Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I have contacted a lawyer regarding a class action lawsuit against Verizon for crippling the GPS features on the Pre. Anyone who can offer more ammo to use against them regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I'll be posting updates as I get them.
    Talk to Jonathan and see if he can shed more light on the subject
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I'm not sure who Johnathan is, so if you could possibly point him in my direction, I thank you.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I sent a PM about this same topic to Jonathan this morning and am awaiting a reply.
    I can see the point, but it also would probably make it sure that vzw never carries another palm phone. They definitely haven't made anything on webOS.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    I sent a PM about this same topic to Jonathan this morning and am awaiting a reply.
    Thanks.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I can see the point, but it also would probably make it sure that vzw never carries another palm phone. They definitely haven't made anything on webOS.
    There was a Class action against VZW in 2007 for the Blackberry GPS and they still carry those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanglant View Post
    There was a Class action against VZW in 2007 for the Blackberry GPS and they still carry those.
    Cause blackberry sells many phone for them still

It's kind of like Firefly (those who remember that show): did the show fail because no one watched it, or because Fox refused to promote it (because no one watched it anyway)?
    I miss firefly and that was cause fox never gave a real time they put it on whenever

I'm here but crazy busy. Will respond to PMs/topic as soon as I can. {Jonathan}
    I have contacted a lawyer regarding a class action lawsuit against Verizon for crippling the GPS features on the Pre. Anyone who can offer more ammo to use against them regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I'll be posting updates as I get them.
    1. The Pre's GPS works flawlessly on Sprint's CDMA network and on AT&T's GSM network. This would at least seem to discredit the notion that problem lies with Palm.

2. The Pre seems to be the only current smartphone with GSP issues on Verizon.

3. It is a well-documented fact that Verizon has crippled GPS on smartphones in the past (and Verizon has admitted this fact). If they've done it before...

4. When the Pre was originally on sale on Verizon's website, they listed aGPS as one of the phone's features...it is no longer listed as a feature. At the very least the customers who bought the phone with the understanding that the phone had aGPS should be compensated in some way. Further, is Verizon's removal of aGPS as a feature of the Pre an indirect admission of guilt?

That's a lot of circumstantial evidence for Verizon to explain away.
    yep, but they make a fortune on blackberry and they would lose a huge number of business accounts if they dropped blackberry. Palm doesn't have that sort of clout. The high return rate on hardware and slow sales have made webos a money loser for them - althoug vzw was also at fault for that.

I have to say vzw has really disappointed me in this. It's the first time I've considered changing carriers since 2001. But vzw will blame my departure on palm. Very sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Cause blackberry sells many phone for them still
    Exactly, there's no way verizon will drop carrying Blackberry. I am more mad about HP/Palm for shutting their mouth about this issue. They are the one should push Verizon to fix this issue. They have to be the one that helping their royal customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    1. The Pre's GPS works flawlessly on Sprint's CDMA network and on AT&T's GSM network. This would at least seem to discredit the notion that problem lies with Palm.

2. The Pre seems to be the only current smartphone with GSP issues on Verizon.

3. It is a well-documented fact that Verizon has crippled GPS on smartphones in the past (and Verizon has admitted this fact). If they've done it before...

4. When the Pre was originally on sale on Verizon's website, they listed aGPS as one of the phone's features...it is no longer listed as a feature. At the very least the customers who bought the phone with the understanding that the phone had aGPS should be compensated in some way. Further, is Verizon's removal of aGPS as a feature of the Pre an indirect admission of guilt?

That's a lot of circumstantial evidence for Verizon to explain away.
    5. The thousands of people who report this as a problem. It's not an isolated incident on a few defective phones.

6. The fact that the GPS will work if you use the VZ Navigator workaround.
    Apart from a lawsuit, the fact is VZ may simply not care enough. Palm isn't a big enough brand at the moment for VZ to worry about losing out on future devices. Even if EVERY Pre user dropped Verizon today, that's a very small drop in the very large bucket of their overall customer numbers. My recent dealings with VZ customer service regarding the GPS issue have been very positive. However, I know that at the end of the day I am just one customer out of millions for them. Pre users simply don't represent a large enough percentage of their customers. A lawsuit which forces them to unlock the GPS (if they are indeed blocking it) appears to be the last shot Pre users have.
    I have GPS problems w verizon, just because there is a law suit, doesnt mean Verizon would stop carrying palm. I think we all need to stand up and speak up. People are raising their voices and not palm or H/P
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I know you're going to be mad at me for saying this, but:

Verizon Wireless is legally allowed to limit aGPS access, as aGPS means assisted GPS. Basically, the "assisted" portion means that it contacts Verizon's servers to ask Verizon what the best satellites are to contact for a signal. Verizon has to maintain the servers, pay the cost of maintaining them, as well as have a large enough cluster of servers to handle the (potentially) tens of thousands of aGPS requests coming in every second from every phone they sell.

This means that it costs them lots of cash. From a customer's perspective, it is wrong. Legally, they can charge you more for the service.

Also, the nice thing for them to do is allow you to enter server info for the aGPS systems to contact from your phone if you decide not to purchase their VZ Nav software.

Now, the part about them advertising aGPS at the beginning could get them in trouble (a la Class Action Suit) unless they stated in the terms that it required additional services (i.e. VZ Nav).

-- Note that I am not a lawyer, I just understand many aspects of law --
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I have GPS problems w verizon, just because there is a law suit, doesnt mean Verizon would stop carrying palm. I think we all need to stand up and speak up. People are raising their voices and not palm or H/P
    I agree. If Palm releases a great phone, Verizon will want in on it.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast