Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    honestly if I had know that aGPS was not available on my pre plus. I would have an android device right no. Don't get me wrong I now love webOS, but I feel like I was lied to. I hope my BBB complaint gets a response.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyHDTV View Post
    I'd also like them to let me out of my two year commitment with no early termination fees.

How would a current Verizon Wireless customer determine if their house and/or place of business has good Sprint signal coverage?
    Sprint does 30 day trial. Complete refund and release from contract. This is from memory, I am sure you could easily verify this here, at sprintusers.com, or at your local Sprint store.

My suggestion would be to go sign up and give it a try. Even if you just get a free phone to test out the service, as long as you verify with your store that if you exchange the free phone for a better phone you still get the new contract price (personally I have done this before with no problem, but I was already a subscriber and just switching out for a different phone because when I had gone in I was up in the air between 2). This way you can take a couple weeks and see if Sprint works where you need it to work, then go from there.

Also using sprintusers.com you can probably find some people in your area with opinions on service quality and even stores to go to.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    honestly if I had know that aGPS was not available on my pre plus. I would have an android device right no. Don't get me wrong I now love webOS, but I feel like I was lied to. I hope my BBB complaint gets a response.
    Verizon's plan is working well, then: they're crippling phones they don't want people to buy, and people go with the uncrippled ones Verizon wants them to buy instead of a different carrier that doesn't cripple phones in the first place.

V doesn't have any incentive whatsoever to stop what they're doing if the market reacts like this. Quite the opposite: crippling the bejeesus out of anything but their lucrative Droid brand might lead people to think only Droid phones have working GPS.

Well played, Verizon - never overestimate the Market.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Verizon's plan is working well, then: they're crippling phones they don't want people to buy, and people go with the uncrippled ones Verizon wants them to buy instead of a different carrier that doesn't cripple phones in the first place.

V doesn't have any incentive whatsoever to stop what they're doing if the market reacts like this. Quite the opposite: crippling the bejeesus out of anything but their lucrative Droid brand might lead people to think only Droid phones have working GPS.

Well played, Verizon - never overestimate the Market.
    -this-

i think they "had to" buy lots of palm devices contractually. they'd also paid uncle george who knows how many millions of $ to use "droid" and "r2d2." they also realized how "open" webOS is to "hacking" or "rooting" YOUR DEVICE thereby lessening VZW's stranglehold over devices on their network and going around any "official" app marketplace (using preware i don't have to see anyone's ads for example). from a business standpoint they HAD TO DO IT!
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    I dont know about anyone else, but since 1.4.5 my gps locks within a minute. even indoors
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Apart from a lawsuit, the fact is VZ may simply not care enough. Palm isn't a big enough brand at the moment for VZ to worry about losing out on future devices. Even if EVERY Pre user dropped Verizon today, that's a very small drop in the very large bucket of their overall customer numbers. My recent dealings with VZ customer service regarding the GPS issue have been very positive. However, I know that at the end of the day I am just one customer out of millions for them. Pre users simply don't represent a large enough percentage of their customers. A lawsuit which forces them to unlock the GPS (if they are indeed blocking it) appears to be the last shot Pre users have.
    this isnt about palm or vzw caring about palm its about vzw crippling a Phones GPS so in order to use the phones features you must by a VZW Nav package , that was not explained in the terms and conditions.
    I received a letter from Verizon about my FCC complaint. Once I have scanned it in and edited my personal information I'll pop it up for you all. Basically though they told me everything is working fine and that I just need to turn on Location services and use Google maps. I'm going to record with a video of Google maps not work along with the instructions they provided to show the FCC and Verizon that it is not work. along witht he Letter Jonathon posted here which i hope I can get a scanned copy we might have something moving..
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    I received a letter from Verizon about my FCC complaint. Once I have scanned it in and edited my personal information I'll pop it up for you all. Basically though they told me everything is working fine and that I just need to turn on Location services and use Google maps. I'm going to record with a video of Google maps not work along with the instructions they provided to show the FCC and Verizon that it is not work. along witht he Letter Jonathon posted here which i hope I can get a scanned copy we might have something moving..
    The proper response, of course, is that "Google Location" (a) does not provide speed, altitude or other information available from hardware GPS, (b) is not nearly as accurate as hardware GPS, and (c) mandates that users share location information with Google, a third-party company. None of this was disclosed in Verizon's advertising marketing the Pre Plus, as has been intensively documented (check out the ad I included in my letter to Verizon, part of the PDF posted with the final PreCentral home page article here). It also means that third party developers who depend on accurate, multifaceted location information (again, altitude, velocity, etc.) are at a competitive disadvantage to Verizon. It further flies in the face of the "Any Apps, Any Device" initiative announced by VZW's then-CEO Lowell McAdam (now moving up the corporate ladder to head all of Verizon) in November 2007.

Here's yet another fun (and inaccurate) statement about how open VZW's location-based services are (the exclusion is for Palm *PDAs* and *not* smartphones). {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Hello Jonathan! I might need your expertise in writing to help me edit my email back to them. I'm not as nearly eloquent as you and others are. I jokingly refer to my writing ability as cavemanese. If you would be willing to help once I have it penned and maybe with some of the information gathered please PM me.

Hey gang here is the letter I told you I would post

http://www.gwauctions.net/verizon.pdf
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    why you people stay with verizon is beyond me..
    I woulndt have signed a 2 year contract had I known then that I was being mislead....DUUUH
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    I woulndt have signed a 2 year contract had I known then that I was being mislead....DUUUH
    But, during your 30 day return period this functionality did not work, you had the option of returning it at the end of that period.

I know from reading the article on Jonathan's situation he received an extension of that 30 day period. Has anyone specifically asked VZW for a different phone that does allow aGPS or to be let out of their contract early?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    But, during your 30 day return period this functionality did not work, you had the option of returning it at the end of that period.

I know from reading the article on Jonathan's situation he received an extension of that 30 day period. Has anyone specifically asked VZW for a different phone that does allow aGPS or to be let out of their contract early?
    I, like many others I'm sure, was baited into holding onto my VZ Pre Plus b/c there were constant rumors of the GPS bug being fixed with updates and whatnot.
    <<thread cleaned>>

Please stop the arguing in the thread and stay on-topic. Any off-topic posts and/or personal attacks will be deleted. Remember, there are many points to a discussion and these forums are about the phones - not people. If you don't agree with a post, either report it if it violates our rules, or move on to another thread if you cannot respond politely. Thank you everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post

....what about the "restocking fee" that VZW charges? i got 2 pres for less than the restock fee for 1 device. AND i didnt want another device, the pre+ is the device for me, even with 3rd party apps locking up the gps. since i was going off VZWs spec sheet and T&Cs, it was worth it to me to "wait" for either a "fix" via update OR some capitulation from VZW. the former never came yet the latter did....so, SUE THEM!
    Oh how I wish I signed a contract with another carrier... Although I have to thank Verizon for introducing me to my Pre Plus because this thing is amazing!
    So i filed a BBB complaint and i got a response from version today. It basically said that the pre plus does have aGPS but its available only for vznav and that 3rd party apps can only use standalone GPS because of security concerns. Im escalating it one more step then I give up. Hopefully the pre 2 wont have this problem.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    So i filed a BBB complaint and i got a response from version today. It basically said that the pre plus does have aGPS but its available only for vznav and that 3rd party apps can only use standalone GPS because of security concerns. Im escalating it one more step then I give up. Hopefully the pre 2 wont have this problem.
    Would you mind taking a screenshot if it was an email, or scanning it if it was in paper, and posting it here?
    here it is
    here it is
    [IMG][/IMG]
    What about the fact they advertised gps wo Vz nav?

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Last edited by sketch42; 10/19/2010 at 01:42 PM.
    nice! hope this works.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast