Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    I gave up on verizon ever fixing this. So bye bye pre. Hello Moto.
    You need to say bye bye VZW and not keep reuping your contract with a company that only sees you as a contract. VZW is great at doing what they do, and that is why they charge so much, for what is possibly better cell service in SOME areas (only including 3G/Data/Roam), and sub par customer service. People keep signing contracts for them giving a comparatively worse CDMA experience for the majority of users.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    You need to say bye bye VZW and not keep reuping your contract with a company that only sees you as a contract. VZW is great at doing what they do, and that is why they charge so much, for what is possibly better cell service in SOME areas (only including 3G/Data/Roam), and sub par customer service. People keep signing contracts for them giving a comparatively worse CDMA experience for the majority of users.
    The only other choice i have is lousy sprint in my area where i cant even get a signal in my house. Everything else with verizon is great. Excellent signal and good 3g. By switching phones, all my problems were solved. And i never re up. I go month to month and buy my phones on ebay, and then sell the old phone. So i will be selling my pre.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    The aGPS is locked down to VZNav. From what I found out in another thread all of the other GPS features are simply shut off.
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    The only other choice i have is lousy sprint in my area where i cant even get a signal in my house. Everything else with verizon is great. Excellent signal and good 3g. By switching phones, all my problems were solved. And i never re up. I go month to month and buy my phones on ebay, and then sell the old phone. So i will be selling my pre.
    Have you ever tried getting an Airave from Sprint (guessing not if you only do month to month)? And Sprint roams free on VZW towers, soo you should have phone signal in your area since you have great VZW coverage.

Either way, if you are happy good things, my comment (I know I quoted you) was in more of a general statement to everyone that keep complaining about VZW's known business practices, but keep overpaying them for their services.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanglant View Post
    I have not heard anything back from the lawyer yet. As soon as I hear something, I'll post it here.
    I hope you hear something soon, Im so tired of dealing with verizon tech support!
    I have always heard Sprint roams on other networks when it cannot connect to it's own, but friends with Sprint rarely have any coverage except in a few spots around town. It works for them, I could not deal with that. Though given what I've seen, I have my doubts about Sprints claims, I've had all my bars in one place while a friend with Sprint was looking at no service.
    squeezy that could be a device or plan setting. Sprint truly does roam free, and on VZW towers. I know this because my wife does it daily (all day) at her work.

I can tell you when I drop calls and this goes for all the Sprint phone I have had, when talking to the wife moving around her work we will drop a call maybe once every 2 weeks (guessing this is when the phone switches from the VZW tower it has been on to Sprint tower when she is walking outside). Other times I drop calls are when my buddy with an iPhone (on ATT) loses signal, or when my close family (all on ATT loses signal).

Ohh and regardless of how many "bars" you have, that doesn't always indicate what is actually going on with the phone. One of the battery draw issues with the Pre is when the radios are constantly searching for a better tower (bars and actual signal aren't always relative).
    I think we should all start choosing a day and time each week, probably the most busy day and time, (if someone has a suggestion, im all ears), and call in to Technical Support, flooding their lines, causing problems for people with other issues, maybe using enough resources to get some attention. We would probably have to switch up the day and time, for maximum impact. Also, we should probably flood all the different departments, even if we will eventually be transferred to tech support. They should have to suffer for this, at least to answer our inquiries and log the complaints. They need to publically make some announcement and fix it. The GPS works great when not using Verizon's Network, that appears to be a fact. Take notice how much better GPS is on Verizon's network next time you are using GPS applications in a poor coverage area. I recently was driving through a 1x coverage area and had the best GPS "FIX" I have ever had since getting my Pre Plus in February.
    J@ckpot ideas Inc. Developer of Doodle Pad, J@cker, J@cker Lite, Falling Sand TP, Falling Sand 2, Twextionary, Spot Diff, Spot Diff Plus, Multi Message Pro, Multi Message Lite, Massage It, Where Im At Now, Fortune Cookie, Dose, Space Dust for HP® / Palm® webOS™
    was the screen capture of vzw.com posted?
    le sigh...

Check the previous page.
    Also check the PDF of correspondence attached to my final VZW response article, including helpful highlights. {Jonathan}
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Thanks for posting this.

If you compare the above to what is currently on Verizon Wireless' website, you will notice they have removed the words "Assisted &" preceeding "Standalone GPS" from the Features list:

Current Verizon Wireless Pre Plus features list
    Would love to know the answer to two questions:

1) When was the "Assisted &" removed from the features list?

2) If this page did not say "Assisted &", would that have changed your decision to get the Pre Plus?
    Here's the text and a screenshot Jonathan included in his 8/25/10 correspondence with Bruce Simon of Verizon Wireless.

The other location functionality of the Palm Pre Plus hardware is via the onboard GPS chip (reportedly the Qualcomm RFR6500), offering both assisted (aGPS) and standalone GPS capabilities. Verizon Wireless’ own Web site makes this clear, while separately mentioning available access to the VZ Navigator service (highlighting added by me):
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Would love to know the answer to two questions:

1) When was the "Assisted &" removed from the features list?

2) If this page did not say "Assisted &", would that have changed your decision to get the Pre Plus?
    100% yes. I would have held out for the AT&T version or just gone with something different.
    I don't see how anyone with an ounce of sense can argue that Verizon wasn't selling the phone as having aGPS, apart from any VZ Navigator subscription. That ad is crystal clear. Those ads can't possibly be interpreted any other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I don't see how anyone with an ounce of sense can argue that Verizon wasn't selling the phone as having aGPS, apart from any VZ Navigator subscription. That ad is crystal clear. Those ads can't possibly be interpreted any other way.
    I can only speak for myself, but I am definitely not arguing that (because sometimes I do have an ounce of sense, but sometimes not much more).

However, I do also understand that mistakes can be made. If this is indeed a mistake, then VZW needs to make amends. They took the first step by removing the "Assisted &" from their feature list, now they need to take the next step. They need to refund you the price of the Pre Plus or allow you to exchange for a phone that does support aGPS. But, I don't think there is any way that VZW can be forced to make aGPS work on the Pre Plus.
    I'd also like them to let me out of my two year commitment with no early termination fees.

How would a current Verizon Wireless customer determine if their house and/or place of business has good Sprint signal coverage?
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I'm sorry... I'm a little confused. Is it really super relevant whether it is *assisted* GPS or not? The common consumer doesn't know what aGPS is, and the Pre was marketed as being a "fully featured smartphone with GPS" and so I'd expect it to work. As it stands, without patching, the GPS doesn't work at ALL for many people (ie., if you don't use one of the hacks to enable aGPS or start VZNav, GPS still doesn't work). Assisted or not, the GPS is crippled.

Am I missing something here? It might make more sense legally to go after them on the technicality of aGPS but isn't the whole point that they nerfed GPS in general? Or is it Palm's fault that regular GPS doesn't work?
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorgan25 View Post
    I may be way off here but... Isn't the agps issue not resident on the phone but with their towers not allowing access? Meaning it should not be a fix resident on the phone but just remove the filter on their system? So this has nothing to do with palm, nor would they really have any pull here. 2nd, if agps is unavailable for non vznav... Wouldn't the regular gps work then? If so...why doesn't it? My garmin obviously does not have agps and uses only gps I assume? And it works fine.

sure I'm ignorant with the tech details but am I way off? My point? I love vzw service but really, this is total bs. I would leave them but there are no other great choices in my area, and I don't want to leave webos. So yeah I'm ready to retalliate. What next?
    Sorry, I didn't see this before posting above.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast