Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    lets be clear. I am currently paying for vz navigator. That doesn't seem to help other LBS apps.

no way to win this if it's only framed as having to pay for vz navigator.

it's the rest of the apps that don't work.
    Should make a facebook page on this LOL
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I know you're going to be mad at me for saying this, but:

Verizon Wireless is legally allowed to limit aGPS access, as aGPS means assisted GPS. Basically, the "assisted" portion means that it contacts Verizon's servers to ask Verizon what the best satellites are to contact for a signal. Verizon has to maintain the servers, pay the cost of maintaining them, as well as have a large enough cluster of servers to handle the (potentially) tens of thousands of aGPS requests coming in every second from every phone they sell.

This means that it costs them lots of cash. Ethically it is wrong. Legally, they can charge you more for the service.

Now, the part about them advertising aGPS at the beginning could get them in trouble (a la Class Action Suit) unless they stated in the terms that it required additional services (i.e. VZ Nav).

I think any lawsuit could only cover people bought the phone when it was advertised as having aGPS. Verizon listed that as a standard feature of the phone (along with standalone GPS). VZ Navigator was listed separately in a different section of the features. While Verizon would try to argue differently, they were clearly stating that the phone had aGPS that would work without any other subscriptions necessary. Now, if they had said "aGPS capable" or "aGPS ready" that'd be an entirely different matter. I am 100% positive that Verizon can not provide any documenation made available to consumers which stated that VZ Navigator would be required for aGPS to function properly.

At the very least, even if Verizon can not be forced to make GPS work, wouldn't this constitute a breach of contract on their part...thus releasing those Pre owners from their 2-year contract? They sold a product claiming it had a feature that it doesn't.
    can we sue them for being stupid?
    It would be nice if there was some way to start an online petition for affected Pre/VZ users to sign w/o their personal information get out on the net.
    I know of a Hosting Company that would provide the space. I also know about 8 websites that could provide a page.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I'm glad that this is getting a lot of attention, even if it's mixed feelings. I'm not guaranteeing that this will go through, but I'm going to give it my best shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    1. The Pre's GPS works flawlessly on Sprint's CDMA network
    Sprint had a lot of GPS issues on the Pre. I don't know if it's any better because I don't use it that much lately but it most definitely was not "flawless."
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Sprint had a lot of GPS issues on the Pre. I don't know if it's any better because I don't use it that much lately but it most definitely was not "flawless."
    my Sprint Pre's GPS works better than my Garmin most times but it eats battery
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    my Sprint Pre's GPS works better than my Garmin most times but it eats battery
    The problem I always had was it would not get the exact location....it would locate me a few miles away, probably where the nearest tower was. When it worked like it should, it would then correct itself and give me my exact location several seconds later.

What would happen is that I never got the "corrected" location, it would just sit there like it was searching. Rebooting always fixed the problem.

There were threads in this forum about Sprint and poor GPS issues. It's possible they got them fixed, I haven't really tried that much lately. Garmin works flawlessly for me when I need it.
    My Sprint Pre GPS is very accuate and dependable, use it all of the time. My son uses his Sprint Pre every day for work and prefers it over his commercial navigation device that the company supplies to all of its workers.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    My Sprint Pre GPS is very accuate and dependable, use it all of the time. My son uses his Sprint Pre every day for work and prefers it over his commercial navigation device that the company supplies to all of its workers.
    Maybe they got the issues fixed...or it was just a bunch of flaky phones. I'll have to spend some more time with it.
    Maybe they got the issues fixed...or it was just a bunch of flaky phones. I'll have to spend some more time with it.
    It is a known software/hardware issue where the GPS chip "falls asleep" thereby not responding to requests. It's gotten better, but not yet flawless.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I like the OP's idea, while my Sprint GPS doesn't have any issues I would REALLY like to see Verizon put in it's place and actually either fix it's problems or compensate their customers accordingly.
    See if all phones were denied GPS, then would have been fine. Right now Android devices have aGPS enabled by default, while palm phones have to suffer by not having aGPS. This speaks of lawsuit, since one party is being denied what others are getting for free. Though by the same token we have mobile hotspot while android doesnt.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Last summer/fall of 09 I had issues llike you describing with Sprint's GPS, but these were fixed I think with 1.3, after that my GPS/Nav has been working great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    can we sue them for being stupid?
    Only if they can sue you for being stupid enough to buy their overpriced services...
    I contacted verizon last night throught email. They assured me that there is no known issue with the pre plus GPS and that it's my phone that has a faulty GPS chip. Even thought it locks on almost instantly when I open VZnav and @VZWsupport has said on many occasions that they know there's a problem and they are working on it. I'm so frustrated!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanglant View Post
    I'm glad that this is getting a lot of attention, even if it's mixed feelings. I'm not guaranteeing that this will go through, but I'm going to give it my best shot.
    I don't believe there's any mixed feelings on whether or not Verizon deserves to be sued, but probably on whether or not it would be successful. My only concern is that if a suit could go through, by the time a decision was actually rendered, the Pre would certainly be EOL'd on Verizon and many customers will already have fulfilled their 2 year contracts. Unless, that is, the threat of a suit spurred Verizon into doing something now, rather than later.

Again, I think starting some kind of online petition is a good thing to do to get a sense of just how many people are affected.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Again, I think starting some kind of online petition is a good thing to do to get a sense of just how many people are affected.
    It really won't give you a sense because, as with most online petitions, it assumes that all (or even a small portion) of the population will find your one petition on a small website on a vast Internet...
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast