1.    #1  
    I woke up this morning to no signal, even though the radio is on. I am in a good area with plenty of available towers. Wifi seems to be working just fine. I have a few patches installed, but have since 1.4.5 came out and have had little to no issues. Any clue what this could be? I don't have rights to post in Homebrew so I put this here, sorry if this winds up being a misplaced post.

Update: Any patches I had seem to be working just fine, but they don't show up as installed when PreWare is run. I am afraid to mess with EPR not knowing enough about what those programs actually do. I haven't done any updates recently either. I have done a couple of restarts as well, including a battery yank. I am also getting SSL certificate errors with my gmail account.
    Last edited by copasetic; 09/22/2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: updates with more information
    Homebrew...how is that applicable here? Is it a radio app that is giving you issues?

Sounds to me like you are having issues with the cellular radio? Try a reboot, if you still don't have any signal then you might have a hardware problem. Try running some of the diagnostic tests (Device Info...Preferences and then Tests).
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. As for the homebrew possibility, I never know what patches can do, and I did have one that automagically turns the radio off at night and then back on in the morning, and always suspect whatever has changed when something goes wrong. I didn't know about the tests so I will look at those. Thanks.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Homebrew...how is that applicable here? Is it a radio app that is giving you issues?

Sounds to me like you are having issues with the cellular radio? Try a reboot, if you still don't have any signal then you might have a hardware problem. Try running some of the diagnostic tests (Device Info...Preferences and then Tests).
    The modem has failed. VZW recommends a full erase restart. Don't they always. But then "Format C:\ and reboot" was always the universal answer, LOL
  5. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    The modem has failed. VZW recommends a full erase restart. Don't they always. But then "Format C:\ and reboot" was always the universal answer, LOL
    Try pulling the battery before the full erase option. A battery pull can be more effective than just restarting, and, who knows, it might just save you the headache of reinstall, etc. after erase!
    I have had this happen a few times, including this morning after updating a bunch of Preware patches. As was suggested, re-try the battery pull, then try putting it in airplane mode for a few minutes, then take it out and see what happens. That has worked for me before (including this morning).
  7.    #7  
    Alright, they did all they could, so in the words of Monty Python:

"Heeeerrrre comes another one!"

Thanks Ryley!
    I've had that problem for the first time this morning. It was a wierd experience for me. I did not have the EV or the signal strength icon on the top bar. Multiple Luna restarts and battery pulls did not solve the trick. I ran the built in diagnosis and it stopped on a modem error - code 1000. I could not even charge the Pre. On the stock Palm wall charger, the battery icon was showing charging, but was actually *losing* the charge!

I solved this by doing a hard reset using the 3-fingered salute (Orange, Sym, R) and at the end of the restart, it was back to normal.

Anyone have any insight on how/why this is happening?
  9.    #9  
    It must be 1.4.5 related, they had me go through all sorts of tests, and the ##3282 stuff as well. I did the SYM+OPT+PWR but not +R, and still nothing. I did a full reset, a "Battery bounce" and still didn't work. I thought it was related to battery saver (which sends your phone into airplane mode and then back out again), but I really don't know. This is new to me. This phone was incredible, MUCH better battery, and well, all the keys actually worked
  10.    #10  
    It's really a shame that the hardware came across so lacking, I am now on Pre #5, and waiting on #6 to arrive, but it's such a great interface I will deal with issues. ....You'd think that Elevation Partners, et. al's cash infusion would have helped their Quality Control enough...wonder if Bono is carrying a Pre around now since Palm got sold...