Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Can anyone advise if there is any alternative source for this item , I tried palm ( transcript attatched ) and they cant help.

Paul

12:35 Connecting...
    12:35 Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    12:36 Support session established with Sebastian G..

12:37 Sebastian G.: Hello thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support,
    my name is Sebastian.
    12:37 Sebastian G.: Your session ID is 67977**2.
    12:38 Paul Cooke: Can you send me details of previous chat?
    12:39 Sebastian G.: Can you provide me the previous case number for the chat session?
    12:40 Paul Cooke: no thats the problem , I was on another computer and asked for the details emailed as I couldnt make a note. Maybe its best to start again?
    12:40 Sebastian G.: Can you tell me the name of the agent at least?
    12:41 Paul Cooke: sorry no.
    12:41 Sebastian G.: I need you to explain me your issue so I can trace it Sir?
    12:43 Paul Cooke: The cover for my palm pre usb port broke as I was attatching it to my car charger. It is only about 1 cm by 2mm and sprang out of the car . I wanted to know how to get a replacement.
    12:44 Sebastian G.: Can I have the serial number of the Pre please?
    12:44 Paul Cooke: p5hu0*****0f
    12:45 Sebastian G.: Thank you , the agent told me he sent you an email with the details 1 hour ago.
    12:46 Paul Cooke: not arrived and not in spam...did he use k******@ntlworld.com ?
    12:47 Sebastian G.: I have to inform you sir, that we do not repair damages of the USB port cover and Palm does not sales replacement for them.
    12:47 Paul Cooke: not even if I wished to buy?
    12:48 Sebastian G.: I am sorry to tell you but no. The USB covers are not sold by Palm. You can check in other places but officially we do not sell them.
    12:50 Paul Cooke: wow , I really cant believe that this tatty bit of plastic cant be found. What poor service. Next upgrade obviosly should be iphone. Not your fault but unbelievable.
    12:50 Sebastian G.: Ok, sir.
    12:51 Paul Cooke: bye
    12:51 Sebastian G.: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
    12:51 Sebastian G.: Remember that at the end of this session you might be getting a Customer Satisfaction survey. We will very much appreciate your feedback.
    Thank you very much for contacting Palm Technical Support. Have a nice day!
    12:51 Paul Cooke: no ta
    12:51 Sebastian G.: Bye.

12:51 Sebastian G. has ended the session.
    While I don't think you are actually serious, if you are I suggest buying a broken phone off of craigslist or ebay for a cheap price and just salvaging the cover piece you need. It may cost you more, but I doubt strongly you will be able to find such a piece for sale by any manufacturer.

Just find the cheapest Pre you can with that part still intact and go from there. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.
    Mine fell off ages ago and I must say I don't miss it a bit!
    I agree with Mikey, I find it more annoying than it's worth. Sure it keeps the outside of your Pre smooth and slick but it really does just get in the way haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by kremmen View Post
    Can anyone advise if there is any alternative source for this item , I tried palm ( transcript attatched ) and they cant help.

Paul

12:35 Connecting...
    12:35 Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    12:36 Support session established with Sebastian G..

12:37 Sebastian G.: Hello thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support,
    my name is Sebastian.
    12:37 Sebastian G.: Your session ID is 67977**2.
    12:38 Paul Cooke: Can you send me details of previous chat?
    12:39 Sebastian G.: Can you provide me the previous case number for the chat session?
    12:40 Paul Cooke: no thats the problem , I was on another computer and asked for the details emailed as I couldnt make a note. Maybe its best to start again?
    12:40 Sebastian G.: Can you tell me the name of the agent at least?
    12:41 Paul Cooke: sorry no.
    12:41 Sebastian G.: I need you to explain me your issue so I can trace it Sir?
    12:43 Paul Cooke: The cover for my palm pre usb port broke as I was attatching it to my car charger. It is only about 1 cm by 2mm and sprang out of the car . I wanted to know how to get a replacement.
    12:44 Sebastian G.: Can I have the serial number of the Pre please?
    12:44 Paul Cooke: p5hu0*****0f
    12:45 Sebastian G.: Thank you , the agent told me he sent you an email with the details 1 hour ago.
    12:46 Paul Cooke: not arrived and not in spam...did he use k******@ntlworld.com ?
    12:47 Sebastian G.: I have to inform you sir, that we do not repair damages of the USB port cover and Palm does not sales replacement for them.
    12:47 Paul Cooke: not even if I wished to buy?
    12:48 Sebastian G.: I am sorry to tell you but no. The USB covers are not sold by Palm. You can check in other places but officially we do not sell them.
    12:50 Paul Cooke: wow , I really cant believe that this tatty bit of plastic cant be found. What poor service. Next upgrade obviosly should be iphone. Not your fault but unbelievable.
    12:50 Sebastian G.: Ok, sir.
    12:51 Paul Cooke: bye
    12:51 Sebastian G.: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
    12:51 Sebastian G.: Remember that at the end of this session you might be getting a Customer Satisfaction survey. We will very much appreciate your feedback.
    Thank you very much for contacting Palm Technical Support. Have a nice day!
    12:51 Paul Cooke: no ta
    12:51 Sebastian G.: Bye.

12:51 Sebastian G. has ended the session.
    Wow...I guess customer service went out with leisure suits.
    Mine's been gone for a long, long time - I've just learned to live without it.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Palm sent me a new one so I don't know what that guy is talking about. Anyway, when it arrived in the mail, I tried to put the thing back in, and it just fell out again, so the problem is something that is wearing down in the USB port area (I think). Don't even waste your time getting a replacement as you will probably lose that one too.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    I was told that the door is coming off, because something else broken inside that help hold it in.

So I had gotten a replacement just by going to a Sprint store and asking the tech's if they had any BAD Pre's, that they might just pull out the door and give it to you.

I got one, but it really wasn't in the best shape either.

I also have the crack in the middle of the usb door, I thought it was a scratch but the tech said it was a crack.

I am told that Palm would give me a replacement because that is part of some 'recall' thing (which I don't believe). I never made the phone call, because I'm just hoping that my Pre will last until the new WebOS device comes out.

If you have the insurance you could put in a claim, but that might be more expensive than it's worth.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Sprint is now carrying this as a replacement item along with the power switch and speaker. Check your local Sprint Service & Repair center if you are under warranty or have insurance.
    My original one fell off and I didn't miss it at all. I had to replace my phone (operator error not hardware or software issue caused by Palm) and now I kinda hate the USB cover. I won't pull it off though...