Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello It's time for my upgrade and I am considering the Pre. I have read the pros and cons about the phone. I am concerned when I read the feedback on folks who are on their 3rd or 4t pre before they give up.

Looking for feedback from the Pre community. Would you still get a Pre if you had the chance to do it again? Should I wait and see if Palm comes out with a newer version of the Pre? I do have 30 days to try out my upgrade.

Have many of the initial issues that the Pre had when it was released been resolved? I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks,

Potential Pre Owner..
    just got my third one today. the first had the loose battery (and was before the simple fix was well known), and the second one i dropped about 78 too many times. that 78th time it finally made the touchscreen not respond. totally my fault. but, even if it wasn't my fault, i'd absolutely get another.

there's another thread in here from yesterday or the day before about this exact same thing...
    Try the Pre out, I've had the pre for over a year now, in the beginning I was a bit disappointed, however I've gotten accustomed to the missing features, which have been added with each upgrade and the open source community has really stepped in with the easy patch upgrades. Make sure you install Preware which is a necessity for customizations. I have looked at other OS's, Google's Android has the most potential but it's fragmented among the manufacturers and their special features. I'm happy with the Pre, however hope that they continue to come out with their new OS update and hardware. Go ahead and try it out, if they come out with WebOS 2.0 and a new hardware platform, you'll want to be able to upgrade for sure.
    bud, I've had a buncha cell phones. I'm rough with em, that's why I have the insurance. I may have had several pres replaced but that did not stop me from getting one last week from hpshopping.com for my sister. Or a pixi for my mom, or a pixi for my gf... Or recommend a pre to my sister's bf. I mean, dude. Dude.

vote for the pre.
    go ahead, you know you want to.
    Smartphone Championship Semi Final: Nokia N900 vs Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by spknpro1962 View Post
    Hello It's time for my upgrade and I am considering the Pre. . .

. . . Pre community. Would you still get a Pre if you had the chance to do it again? Should I wait and see if Palm comes out with a newer version of the Pre? I do have 30 days to try out my upgrade.

Have many of the initial issues that the Pre had when it was released been resolved? I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks,

Potential Pre Owner..
    I would still get a Pre, but I have no idea of the # of issues that have been fixed, because their maybe things fixed or changed that weren't issues from me. I understand that later builds are sturdier and that is the major issue with whether or not people are satisfied. Having said that, I've been eligible for an upgrade since June 2010, but I won't be using it w/o a new WebOS device. But I'm sitting pretty with my current one. There are newer devices out there that have sturdier hardware, but there aren't newer devices that have better OS systems. Whichever is most important to you is what counts. If you could get an out-of-contract Pre, you could have the best of both worlds.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Yes, I would DEFINITELY the Pre again...however, at this point I would want to advise you to wait for the new hardware from HP/Palm rather than getting the Pre... If you can deal with whatever the old phone was for a bit longer, I feel like that would benefit you more...
    don't waste an "upgrade" on the current Pre. Pick one up used and try it out. Save you upgrade for the new Palm device
    Do what I did and get a refurbished/used Pre off of eBay. Got a phone in great shape for a decent price and didn't waste my upgrade. (Can't upgrade until next year anyway but didn't want to blow it if they end up releasing a new webOS phone.)
    Come play with my Twitter.
    I got mine on Black Friday for $89, spectacular deal. I had upgraded from the Treo 700p and really only missed the video camera, and lo and behold, just a few upgrades away and video camera! I love mine if for nothing else than Palm seems to really be interested in making it's customers happy. I don't put a lot on mine as far as music and such because I have an iPod classic, I don't need music on my phone, but I do have a lot of apps and the patches by far make the pre the best phone on the market, in my humble opinion. I've only had my phone replaced once and I probably didn't even have to replace it then. Sprint just replaced my battery for me, no charge, which was great! I have had nothing but good times with my phone so I definitely recommend it!
    There are two ways to pass a hurdle: leaping over or plowing through...
    There needs to be a monster truck option.
    I love my Pre - have had minimal problems. Had it since July of 09. Only disappointing thing: apparently the new hardware will not be out for up to 12 months.
    I've had my Pre since launch day (June 2009) and have never regretted it. Sure, I've had a few issues, but nothing that couldn't be solved with a few hours of trial & error... of course with help from the outstanding PreCentral community!! And, I've never even been to the Dr!!

If you do become fortunate enough to get a Pre, I strongly recommend overclocking. I'm using UberKernel 500/800 and it makes a HUGE difference.

I do, however, agree with a few of the posts above that say to get 1 on ebay and save your upgrade for new hardware. I personally, am overdue for an upgrade but I am holding out, waiting for a 4G WebOS device.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    <<merged threads>>
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    I'd get it again, and advise you to get one, but not as an upgrade. Get a used one off CL or fleabay, and save your upgrade for when HPalm gets a new device out.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    I have a pixi myself and love the thing to death and seems the pixis are more sturdier then the pres and mine seems like a rank. But I'd go on ebay and but one and save ur upgrade
    i wouldnt hesitate. still on my first and only pre (10) months and just like new
    I bet if you walk into a sprint store and say you want a palm pre the reps probably going to tell you that's it's no good and you should get an android. They might not even want to sell you a pre.
    I always get funny looks when I get Palm accessories at my local Sprint store. Then again I always get helped by the same guy and he seems to be pretty gung-ho for Android.
    Come play with my Twitter.
    My original pre power button died at ~11 months (and had the cracked screen near USB port issue about 1.5months prior). I got a refurb, and it's currently 4 months in. I've used a Pre from day 1.

Would I have bought a Pre looking back? Yes, because nothing out there matched it in features. Most specifically, synergy. It wasn't even till Froyo that multiple google accounts worked properly. And iOS 4 was still a year away (not to mention I will not switch to AT&T).

Would I buy one today? No. I would definitely wait for the new hardware unless I had no choice... in which, I'd probably buy an EVO. But I'm personally sticking with sprint, and their android phone selection is lacking. I really want to see a 3.7" screen android 2.2+ device.. aka, a Nexus One.
    Get a pixi. Best phone ever.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast