Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Hey everyone. So I'm in a little bit of a dilemma. Basically, my gf wants to get a smartphone and get off Verizon. She is month-to-month now. We plan to get a family plan on Sprint. I currently have a Sprint Pre and she was looking at the Pre as her best option.

She wants to get off Verizon in the next month or so. So, should I let her get the Pre or tell her to wait as long as possible to see the new WebOS device come out?
    Guess it depends on what she wants doesn't it? Has she played with your Pre? Does she like it? I'm not sure when the next WebOS device will be out. I heard it could be up to 6 or more months but then I also heard it could be next month.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    She wants a Pre, but I convinced to wait as long as possible. So probably in 20 days or so, we'll go grab a Pre. Hopefully, they might even be free at that point. But yeah, I actually tried for her to get an Epic 4G because I want to take Android out for a test drive and learn the OS (like rooting and such).
    I played with the Epic and love love love it other than Internet/browsing. I loved my Samsung Instinct but I wanted a keyboard so I got the Pre. The Epic is everything but WebOS that I love. I may upgrade (and defect) to it next month but not sure yet.

FYI I got an e-mail stating that the Pixi is free now. LOL
    Oh, you're the one that loved the Instinct huh? I got one for my wife... I hated that thing.

I am not convinced enough that Palm's releasing something soon, that I am willing to use my 12-month upgrade to buy a second Pre, so I can use my first one strictly for development.
    Grabber. LOL Guess I was the 'one' that loved the Instinct. If the Pre hadn't come out I'd be sitting with a Purple Instinct right now.
    i would not get a pre at this point.. why lock down for a year or 2 on a year and a 1/2 old phone? Though i LOVE the pre and plam... the only way i would get it now is for free and free mobile hotspot.. if with verizon. And the refurbs are 50/50 if you'll get a good one.

but if she's never had a "smart phone" like this.. she will love it if you gave her a really good tutorial.. and maybe extended battery? mine drained at 10% an hour in NYC this past weekend.
    Sprint isn't locked down to 2 year contracts....most of us have 12 month contracts to fulfill for our upgrades (oh yeah that's another reason Sprint is better than Verizon and AT&T)
    Find a used Pre and save the upgrade. There are a lot of decent ones still hanging around.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I have this problem with patience you see... I haven't found a used Pre locally for under $100 yet, so the $50 price tag is awful tempting for a brand new piece of hardware. I have *one* more day until I am eligible, so I will keep looking on Craigslist in the meantime.

For the OP though, I agree, best bet may be a used Pre.
    I was just about to write the same thing as Pogey...

Find a used Pre and transfer over to the family plan. Then she able to upgrade to new hardware whenever H/Palm gets around to releasing it.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Ok. Going to look on Craigslist and other places for one. Ebay as well. If I have to pay an extra few bucks or so (like $75), I might buy it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    Sprint isn't locked down to 2 year contracts....most of us have 12 month contracts to fulfill for our upgrades (oh yeah that's another reason Sprint is better than Verizon and AT&T)

Would love to hear how you would do that on a Family Plan like the OP is talking about. For Family Plans only the "owner" is Premier status and able to upgrade yearly, others on the plan have to wait to years.

If it is only two lines, and will never be increased to three, you could get a whole new account and then you could do yearly upgrades, but that would cost an extra $10 a month (two $69.99 a month plans instead of a single $129.99 a month plan).
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Find a used Pre and save the upgrade. There are a lot of decent ones still hanging around.
    This.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Are you sure? My wife and I were both eligible after one year.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    get one off ebay for about 120
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I also say wait it out just a little longer. If she's on the VZ monthly plan, then a few weeks isn't bad. Even though the Pre is a great phone, but mainly because of webOS, if by next month we don't hear anything from HP/Palm, I would say then look at another platform to bring her to Sprint, since the Pre is starting to look a little outdated with all the new hardware out there...
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    Consider this:

A new Pre now is relatively cheap; a new Pre2 (or whatever it'll be called) will be substantially more expensive.

A new Pre now doesn't suffer the original Oreo and other hardware problems; a new Pre2 is once again Rev.A hardware with all connected risks.

A new Pre now is outdated while in the box; a new Pre2 would only be outdated within a month or two after taking it out - don't argue, just look at smartphone releases lately.

A new Pre now is sufferably quick with overclocks - there's no reason to believe the new device won't be smooth without O/C'ing.

My girlfriend has a Pixi and thanks me almost every day for having shown her webOS maybe she wants one of those even? Small, pocketable, cute name... They're quicker than people say as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    ...A new Pre now doesn't suffer the original Oreo and other hardware problems...
    We hope anyway!!!
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Ok Guys. So we decided to buy a brand new Palm phone from the sale that HP Wireless was offering. We get a free Palm Pre along with $50 to use in the Palm App Catalog. We thought this was a nice bargain.

She is now on my new line of 1500 minutes. Love working for the military as I now get a 15% discount. So we are all good to go. We will activate phone when she gets back from the gym (just got it via Fedex). Within a couple of hours, I'll have mobile hot spot, uberkernal, and a bunch of other neat apps like Music Player Remix 2 (would love to show her NanPlayer, but the NDA forbids it) and Agenda.

The minute a new Palm device is announced, I will be in line getting it. Can't wait!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast