Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Hey everyone. So I'm in a little bit of a dilemma. Basically, my gf wants to get a smartphone and get off Verizon. She is month-to-month now. We plan to get a family plan on Sprint. I currently have a Sprint Pre and she was looking at the Pre as her best option.

She wants to get off Verizon in the next month or so. So, should I let her get the Pre or tell her to wait as long as possible to see the new WebOS device come out?
    Why would you even consider the pre at this point? Just for WebOS? The pre had essentially cutting edge hardware when it came out, on par with the iphone and original droid, but now, it is severely behind the times. Either wait for whatever WebOS devices comes next, or upgrade to a modern Android phone.
    still a great phone if you can get it without a contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    Why would you even consider the pre at this point? Just for WebOS? The pre had essentially cutting edge hardware when it came out, on par with the iphone and original droid, but now, it is severely behind the times. Either wait for whatever WebOS devices comes next, or upgrade to a modern Android phone.
    Sometimes people don't want or need cutting edge. There's a reason why the BB Curve sells in mass numbers.

Mobile phones aren't supposed to be disposable toys, and there's nothing wrong with the Pre if the price is right.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Sometimes people don't want or need cutting edge. There's a reason why the BB Curve sells in mass numbers.

Mobile phones aren't supposed to be disposable toys, and there's nothing wrong with the Pre if the price is right.
    good point.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    She doesn't want a big phone like the EVO or Epic 4G. In addition, she doesn't need such a powerful device. In fact, the Pre is just right for her at this point. Does a lot of simple things very well.

Not to mention that I'm sure the Palm Pre will be free to run WebOS 2.0, so it won't get left in the dust. Believe me, for a power user, I couldn't recommend it. But getting it for free and along with $50 free apps, that's worth it to her.
    Hope she likes her pre!

I recently had to upgrade my wife's phone (she had an older purple lg lotus). That phone had been through hell - dropped in water, dropped from height repeatedly, chewed on by baby, stepped on, left in the extreme heat inside the car all day (phoenix, az), etc. She finally apparently killed it by running it through the washing machine (although it actually ended up powering back up a week later, because the phone is a god dang terminator - I might need to kill it with fire just to be sure we are safe).

Anyway, I considered getting her a pre or the free pixi with the upgrade we had. She's not big on the whole smartphone thing (hates using my phone for anything), but I figured she could adjust and learn to love it (I see the occasional spark of interest when we're using google maps or the net to look something up on a roadtrip).

Then I remembered the roughly once-monthly trip where her phone grows wings and flys across the room and into a nearby wall. There's no way the pre or pixi would survive the kind of abuse she subjects her poor phone to.

She got an LG lotus 2.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    when is palm going to release a new phone? seriously, its time!
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    .. why lock down for a year or 2 on a year and a 1/2 old phone?
    Yes, it's a 2 year contract, and Sprint Premier only applies to the primary line (so if the OP wants his GF to be able to upgrade in a year, get it on a new line rather than on the family plan).
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Yes, it's a 2 year contract, and Sprint Premier only applies to the primary line (so if the OP wants his GF to be able to upgrade in a year, get it on a new line rather than on the family plan).
    My phone is the primary line and it will get the upgrade whenever a new Palm phone comes out.

But my GF is actually pretty good with phones. She's had a phone for 2-3 years easily. So I have no problem with her not having the upgrade every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    My phone is the primary line and it will get the upgrade whenever a new Palm phone comes out.

But my GF is actually pretty good with phones. She's had a phone for 2-3 years easily. So I have no problem with her not having the upgrade every year.
    Good,
    Your plan sounds perfect for your situation. That GF also sounds like "a keeper"
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Get her a Pixi. Solid device that won't break like the Pre.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderfry View Post
    Get her a Pixi. Solid device that won't break like the Pre.
    She wanted the bigger screen and the more power. Not to mention all the nice customization that can be done on a Pre and not a Pixi such as OCing.

To hepl with battery life, I just got her on the Screenstate 500/800 profile in Govnah. She's liking it so far. Loves typing on it.
    dont waste an upgrade on a pre! get it off contract or get an epic.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I got my parent's Pres off ebay with the plans to use their upgrade eligibility once a new Palm device is out (if they decide they like webOS).

Using your eligibility on a pre/pixi right now makes no sense. At the very least, you're better off using it an Epic or an Evo, then selling it and buy a pre/pixi for less.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I wouldn't sign a new contract for any phone right now. Even the new rumored Palm device, unless it's 4G.

My next contract will be for a 4G phone on Verizon sometime in 2011. My suggestions for anyone who's considering purchasing a new phone, Pre or otherwise, check out eBay.
    Palm Pre Plus on Verizon || I blog at butr.net
    I honestly wouldn't recommend the original pre to anyone. While I love mine, it is too unreliable for an average user. The evo or epic 4g is a much better pick if she needs one now. If not I'd tell her to wait for the next one.

If she for sure wants a pre now, I'd say do what pogey suggested. The 50 dollar price tag is tempting, but she we be upset when better phone start coming out and she's stuck with the pre for 2 years.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I honestly wouldn't recommend the original pre to anyone. While I love mine, it is too unreliable for an average user. The evo or epic 4g is a much better pick if she needs one now. If not I'd tell her to wait for the next one.

If she for sure wants a pre now, I'd say do what pogey suggested. The 50 dollar price tag is tempting, but she we be upset when better phone start coming out and she's stuck with the pre for 2 years.
    1) Got the Pre for free from HP Wireless
    2) Got $50 of free apps.

So I solved a few things: I got her liberally buying apps and she's happy. Also, I got a brand new Pre. The build date is May 2010. The quality is very nice. Much better than when I got a new one.

She doesn't care about a newer phone coming out. She wanted to get into the smartphone game and at a great cost.

So once again, she is not a power user at all. She didn't want the Epic 4G case of its size and it's initial cost (not to mention extra $10 for 4G that she would never use).

And as I said, I would NEVER recommend a Pre to a power user/techie now. But for my gf, it's utterly perfect and she loves it more everyday.

We are a WebOS household =)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12