Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Why not just set up a free Google account, set the account up on your Pre and then everything will sync up? If all your current info is on your Pre, just sync it with Google, much easier.
  2.    #22  
    Will it sync both ways on google??
    Quote Originally Posted by bex1968 View Post
    I dont have outlook and cant afford it at the mo.

Thanks for the info about csv files etc, whatever they are ( This is turning into a nightmare and i think i will send the phone back (

What was so wrong with installing a disc and hotsyncing???
    notjing wrong, but you said the desktop doesn't work with windows 7

we need to back up and start over.
  4.    #24  
    I have now set up a gmail account, and put the account as my primary account. Now what??
    now I can't help you because I don't/wont sync with gmail.

others will chime in that do it that way...

btw, I'm not sure that gmail will actually put a copy on your pc because I think it assumes you have outlook. Can anyone confirm that for this poor soul?
  6.    #26  
    Hi again Cantaffordit, i have found an old outlook on office 2003. How do i get it to work? I dont want to install it incorrectly. Should i link it with the gmail account?

BTW, i heard back for Companionlink, this is what they said;

Palm Pre uses "Accounts" to designate data to sync.

For CompanionLink, only data in the CL USB Sync Account will sync using CompanionLink. Data in Palm Profile or any other Account will sync only to software by that vendor. This is Palm design and as an approved vendor we must follow it. Data transferred by Palm cannot be synchronized.
  7.    #27  
    And if i connect outlook to gmail, is it a microsoft exchange server, pop 3, IMPA, HTTP, or additional server type that i need to click?? Gawd i sound thick!
    if you want to use outlook and sync with your pc, I recommend you don't stick gmail in the middle. It just adds complication IMHO.

question for you, did you read the first link I posted above? It describes exactly how to do what you want. That way I know we are talking through the same assumptions and process. The difference is that you first have to get outlook an a pc that can also run the hotsync with your old phone.

I would probably do that on another pc, and then copy the .pst file (outlook data file) to your win7 PC. I'll have to ponder other ideas if that isn't possible.

while I do that, read the entire thread I first posted. Every post. It walks through this in painful detail.

also, you know companionlink and pocket mirror also cost $, right?
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 09/22/2010 at 03:01 PM.
  9.    #29  
    Right, i did a test appointment in the google calendar, synced, and it came up in the pre calendar.

Then i changed the colour of my old, existing appointments in my pre from blue to pink (same as the gmail ones appear) and they showed up in the gmail calendar. So i think i am winning at last! now all i need to know is how to change my thousands of diary appointments from blue to pink, and it should work. HELP PLEASE, pretty please!!
  10.    #30  
    Its the palm profile calendar appointments i need to change to the gmail colour.
    I have no idea on the google stuff. But, it seems you need to get them out of your profile and in to google to do that. My guess (big guess) is that you can't get to them in the profile and will need to get them from your treo into a format that google can handle.

I'm very glad that you are making progress. Once this is behind you, you are gonna love the pre.
  12.    #32  
    After doing further research, i dont think it can be done;

http://www.precentral.net/palm-profi...ackup-failures

Like was said before, i am gonna have to start again with my treo ((
    think how easy it will be this time now that you know how!

this is why I recommend so strongly to never put anything in the palm profile, and why I recommenf that you activate the phone with an email address that hasn't ever been used (thats in the thread I referred to).

let us know how it goes.
  14.    #34  
    Thanks
    Bex,
    It sounds like you've been having more than you fair share.
    I recently came over from a centro; so I can relate.
    For what it's worth, here's what I did.

1) I already had a Google account.
    2) I already had Outlook on my desktop.
    3) I already had just done a major nasty clean up of my Palm desktop contacts and put back them into Outlook.

4) So, I got a copy of gsyncit for something like $15 for my PC. That allowed me to set up an automated sync for everything (not just events - but contacts and tasks too) and link back and forth from Google to Outlook.

5) Set up the Google account on my Pre, and hit sync.
    Now everything comes thru to my pre - one color / one version only.

I still keep multiple email addresses, but the pre, nicely seems to consolidate those!

Good Luck!
    I'm just wondering how come you could not install Palm Desktop 6.2 on Windows 7 and run it in compatibility mode, then use the palm migration tool to sync it with your Pre.

If you're downloading it, you should right click and run as administrator. Let it install, the icon that it creates right click on that and their should be a tab there for compatibility. Select windows XP and launch the application. Before you sync, change the settings in Palm desktop to copy from handheld to pc. Then use the migration tool at the Palm site.

Desktop link: Palm Support : Treo 680 AT&T - Downloads

Migration link: Palm - Run the Data Transfer Assistant for Windows
    Quote Originally Posted by onekoolfella View Post
    I'm just wondering how come you could not install Palm Desktop 6.2 on Windows 7 and run it in compatibility mode, then use the palm migration tool to sync it with your Pre.

If you're downloading it, you should right click and run as administrator. Let it install, the icon that it creates right click on that and their should be a tab there for compatibility. Select windows XP and launch the application. Before you sync, change the settings in Palm desktop to copy from handheld to pc. Then use the migration tool at the Palm site.

Desktop link: Palm Support : Treo 680 AT&T - Downloads

Migration link: Palm - Run the Data Transfer Assistant for Windows
    desktop 6.2 probably doesn't work with a treo that old. I think 6.x only worked with the Centro.

When Palm sold of the PalmOS, the original desktop app went with it. That's why 6.x was generally considered to be such a steaming pile. They had to throw it together in a hurry, and then pay to include a 3rd party app to sync with outlook.
  18.    #38  
    Hi again! I started from scratch with my treo, and have now loaded up my pre from google calendar via companionlink. Trouble is, i now have duplicates from when i synced yesterday. Is there anyway of getting rid of duplicates??

Thanks for everyone's help, i really, really appreciate it xxxxxx
    duplicates where? the Pre? Google?
  20.    #40  
    In my Pre calendar. Duplicate appointments. And a few duplicate contacts not these are not a problem.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast