Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, it took some work, but I have been in contact with Verizon's executive offices regarding the GPS bug on the Pre Plus (I'll withhold the names of the individuals with whom I spoke). The lady I spoke with conferenced in their tech support and he informed me of the VZ Navigator workaround (and assured me that Verizon has NO plans whatsoever to shut that down). I told them I had been using that, but that it failed to consistently update my location. According to tech support, this is a problem with the Pre's software not being able to communicate with Verizon's network for this function. He said there is a maintennance update coming from Palm (not 1.4.5) that should fix this, but said he didn't know a release date. He was 100% solid in stating that this is a software issue only Palm can fix. I feel a little like my grand conspiracy theories about VZ blocking the Google maps function have been somewhat shot down. Because...

She offered to exchange my Pre Plus for any phone I wanted. I said I'd like to wait a little bit to see if there is any kind of update released by Palm that would address the issue. All I have to do is call her back and tell her what I want.

So, my dilemma...how long do I wait on Palm? If they have no intention of fixing this bug, then as much as I'd HATE to lose my Pre Plus, I'd probably switch to an Android device (especially considering I just outfitted my car with the Touchstone). As much as I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Pre Plus, I'm not going 18 months without a good map function.

I'm tired of the he said she said and if the only way for me to get good GPS is to take the offer and switch to Android, then I may just have to do it.

I must say, Verizon's executive offices were VERY helpful. They get an A+.
  2.    #2  
    If I had some kind of assurance from Palm that a fix was indeed on the way, then I'd stay. Or if a new Palm device was being released on VZ then I'd stay...
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    If it were me, and mapping was that important to me, I'd keep the Pre Plus, and get a cheap Nav device. Of course, you'll pay extra, but I'd rather pay a premium to use webOS than have to switch to Android.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by noahisaac View Post
    If it were me, and mapping was that important to me, I'd keep the Pre Plus, and get a cheap Nav device. Of course, you'll pay extra, but I'd rather pay a premium to use webOS than have to switch to Android.
    But the point is to have Nav on my phone. If I'm walking around and need to use GPS, I don't want to carry a Garmin with me. I want it on my phone.
    Do you have to return your Pre? Get a free phone out of the deal and switch between the two if you want.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    Do you have to return your Pre? Get a free phone out of the deal and switch between the two if you want.
    Well, she said exchange, so I assume I'd have to send in my Pre. This SUCKS! I just wish the GPS issue would get fixed and I could move on with my life.
    I've come to realize what the game is that VZW is playing. Their GPS equipment apparently doesn't work like everyone else's In order to make it work, phone makers must write additional functionality to the VZW API, and I'm not sure that those API's are published.

That's why the Android phones don't have this issue, because google did the necessary programming - which is apparently not needed for any other carrier. So VZW's gps infrastructure is different, and if phone makers don't like it, they have to add functionality to the OS to make it work...

That's pretty stupid. I'm on VZW but starting to question that. You might want to take the phone they offer (assuming it doesn't change your renewal date) and then change carriers.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I've come to realize what the game is that VZW is playing. Their GPS equipment apparently doesn't work like everyone else's In order to make it work, phone makers must write additional functionality to the VZW API, and I'm not sure that those API's are published.

That's why the Android phones don't have this issue, because google did the necessary programming - which is apparently not needed for any other carrier. So VZW's gps infrastructure is different, and if phone makers don't like it, they have to add functionality to the OS to make it work...

That's pretty stupid. I'm on VZW but starting to question that. You might want to take the phone they offer (assuming it doesn't change your renewal date) and then change carriers.
    I agree. I was talking to a VZW salesman last week and he said that because VZW is a CDMA network, and most other networks are G3, he said software makers (who make software that requires network connectivity) can choose which to support and it seems most are not choosing CDMA. thorne
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    I agree. I was talking to a VZW salesman last week and he said that because VZW is a CDMA network, and most other networks are G3, he said software makers (who make software that requires network connectivity) can choose which to support and it seems most are not choosing CDMA. thorne
    Sprint is also CDMA and doesn't appear to have the issue. This appears to be specific to Verizon, not CDMA.
    Verizon scrambles it's A-GPS signal from their cell towers. Sprint does NOT. Although both are CDMA carriers.
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, AT&T Centro, Palm Pre Plus (AT&T), HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note (Sigh).
    It's Verizon not Palm! Sorry that's just the way it is. They want you to pay for their GPS service. DH has Verizon and pays double what I pay and gets less (he can't even get their TV service on his Pre).
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    It's Verizon not Palm! Sorry that's just the way it is. They want you to pay for their GPS service. DH has Verizon and pays double what I pay and gets less (he can't even get their TV service on his Pre).
    I guess that would make sense if they scrambled GPS for ALL their phones, but it appears that GPS function is only an issue on the Pre Plus. I'm stuck on Verizon for 18 mos. Maybe I should make the switch to Android and hope by that time that Palm has new stuff out.
    All I know is DH had a Droid and had the same issues as he has with his Pre on Verizon. I have no issues with my GPS on my Sprint Pre. Oh and DH is stuck on Verizon for 18 more months all because he couldn't wait 2 months when he upgraded to the Pre...he could have switched back to Sprint.

I still believe that it's Verizon and probably because they give free HotSpot service on it. (that's my joke)
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Negotiate -- have them give you a free phone for your troubles and have them also waive the 18 month contract period. It retains you as a customer and gives you the flexibility to switch to a new phone when the new Palm hardware comes out.

Just make sure to come back. ;-)
    I guess I'm not seeing the issue with the GPS. I tell it where I want to go from where I am and it takes me there. No additional software, no using Navigator.

I take the closest cross streets and I'm on my way. SO the phone doesn't give me my actual address as the starting location, but the closest cell tower, but it gets me there just the same.

I just took a trip to New Mexico and we had a Droid, Pre and a TomTom, my Pre gave me the same directions as the TomTom, and the TomTom was better than the Droid IMO.

I'm decidedly UNimpressed with the Android OS. My daughter has a phone running it and her boyfriend has one and they may have a few cool apps, but I much prefer the WebOS system over the Andriod one. And I"m one who hated the Pre when it first came out, had a release day pre, returned it because I hated it. I loved my Centro but wanted to upgrade. I waited and waited and then revisited the Pre and loved it, especially once I got into Patching it.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Well, she said exchange, so I assume I'd have to send in my Pre. This SUCKS! I just wish the GPS issue would get fixed and I could move on with my life.
    1.) It is NOT a software issue with the Pre
    2.) Have you tried GPS Fix yet?

Also have some potential magic going with some overclocking that seems to even solve the stand alone GPS.

http://bit.ly/bcxivH

-- The guy who knows a lot about this stuff
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    I had no problem running google maps with my Blackberry curve I just switched from. A lil slow to update but took me exactly where I wanted to go. just my .02.
  18.    #18  
    There are some other issues that concern, but none of those is a deal breaker like the GPS. It concerns me greatly that I've already had to exchange my Pre once w/in the first 6 months of my contract. Issues like the "stuck in headset mode" and so on...once I'm out of my 1 year warranty, I'm on my own for 12 months. What happens at 16 months if my phone gets stuck in headset mode and can't be fixed? That said, GPS is just one of the things I expected to work well, and it doesn't. Again, there's just too much he said she said. Palm insists it's Verizon. Verizon insists it's Palm. Meanwhile, nothing is being done for the consumer. Maybe it's Palm, maybe it's Verizon, but if my only solution is to switch to Android and ride it out for the remainder of my contract, then that's what I'll have to do.

It'd be GREAT if Palm was releasing another device in the next couple of months, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    There are some other issues that concern, but none of those is a deal breaker like the GPS. It concerns me greatly that I've already had to exchange my Pre once w/in the first 6 months of my contract. Issues like the "stuck in headset mode" and so on...once I'm out of my 1 year warranty, I'm on my own for 12 months. What happens at 16 months if my phone gets stuck in headset mode and can't be fixed? That said, GPS is just one of the things I expected to work well, and it doesn't. Again, there's just too much he said she said. Palm insists it's Verizon. Verizon insists it's Palm. Meanwhile, nothing is being done for the consumer. Maybe it's Palm, maybe it's Verizon, but if my only solution is to switch to Android and ride it out for the remainder of my contract, then that's what I'll have to do.

It'd be GREAT if Palm was releasing another device in the next couple of months, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
    Uh, well, it seems like you kind of made up your mind. It's not a Pre issue, so Palm cannot "fix" it. It is the way in which Verizon chose to cripple webOS (like they chose to cripple the Samsung Galaxy S by sticking Bing on it) and there's no guarantee that Verizon won't choose to cripple the GPS if they decide to release a new Palm phone - which I don't anticipate happening on Verizon anytime soon. So if the GPS and hardware are that worrying for you, then the obvious solution is to switch.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Uh, well, it seems like you kind of made up your mind. It's not a Pre issue, so Palm cannot "fix" it. It is the way in which Verizon chose to cripple webOS (like they chose to cripple the Samsung Galaxy S by sticking Bing on it) and there's no guarantee that Verizon won't choose to cripple the GPS if they decide to release a new Palm phone - which I don't anticipate happening on Verizon anytime soon. So if the GPS and hardware are that worrying for you, then the obvious solution is to switch.
    I agree, switch. But check with other Android users on VZW to see it you'll be able to use all the capabilities you're hoping for.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast