Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Take the Droid.
    im going droid 2 I think. the droid x is a monster to hold. its a race between those two for sure.

-Gu1l7y
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    who did you contact? GPS is a big reason I got a smartphone. I love my pre plus but if I could potentially get out of my contract or get a phone with a working GPS that would be great.
    simple solution.

if you must stay on vzw, and want the full smartphone experience, sadly, you should not get a palm device. Get a blackberry or droid whatever, because vzw just flat out doesn't care about palm or webOS...see izor's gps post tonight if you want more glum news about vzw.

aint no way in hell next palm device is coming to vzw anytime soon.

I would highly advocate the pre or pre plus on any other carrier, just not on vzw.

as has been mentioned before, the biggest bug on the pre plus is verizon wireless.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    simple solution.

if you must stay on vzw, and want the full smartphone experience, sadly, you should not get a palm device. Get a blackberry or droid whatever, because vzw just flat out doesn't care about palm or webOS...see izor's gps post tonight if you want more glum news about vzw.

aint no way in hell next palm device is coming to vzw anytime soon.

I would highly advocate the pre or pre plus on any other carrier, just not on vzw.

as has been mentioned before, the biggest bug on the pre plus is verizon wireless.
    Unfortunately, that's the conclusion I've come to. I'm still leaning towards keeping the Pre Plus, but I am just 15 months from my renewal. If I hold out for another couple of months, take the free exchange for an Android, then I can go back to Palm in 12/11. Hopefully by then, any rift b/w Palm and Verizon will be smoothed over and HP/Palm will have worked out all the hardware/software bugs from the Pre. When you get down to it though, I simply don't like any of the hardware for the Android phones. And just fiddling with the phones in the store, I didn't care for the UI in the least. I do understand that they are far more powerful phones in a lot of ways, but you simply can't beat the Pre's physical design and WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    I came from an HTC Droid Eris that I had rooted, overclocked and running Android 2.2 Froyo. I personally felt it was horrible - HORRIBLE - that I had to learn how to essentially hack the phone to do what I needed it to do in order to have a device that did everything I need it to do.
    You're right, you certainly don't have to do that with the Pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Yeah, but it isn't a pain in the *** like it is on Android. Getting that leaked 2.1 ROM on the Moment I had temporarily was not fun and took hours.

Edit: Okay, not as much of a pain in the *** as homebrewing my Wii...but more so than the Pre.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Everything just worked on the Pre from the start - no issues other than an old Google Talk contact that I couldn't delete without first re-installing Pidgin and Digsby to a computer.

I clicked on the e-mail button, it asked me to set up an account. I have a Google Apps domain so I entered my credentials and the device understood it was a Google Apps domain, no other input on my part was required. My calendar and address book were also pulled in. After a little bit of tweaking my address book was filled out correctly.

I'm a Linux guy through and through. Android had my attention from the onset for that very reason. I was eager to see what Google could bring to the table. For the most part they have a solid OS, but the OS has to serviceable on multiple devices from varying generations. You have not not only author programs for 1.6, but 2.1 and 2.2. (And so on) Eventually you'll have devices that are simply not capable of running apps for various reasons. I expect this sort of fragmentation on the desktop more than a phone.

What got me bent out of shape with Android is that I purchased the Droid Eris in January. It was released in November (2009) and by May it was on the end of life list for Verizon. Since then we've had the Devour, Ally, Incredible, X, Droid 2 and the Samsung Fascinate hit the market for Verizon. And that's JUST Verizon We have a few months remaining in 2010, and with the holidays coming up I'm sure there is at least another Android device (or two) on the horizon.

If I'm going to be married to a device for a few years, I need to know it will be supported for a good while. I cannot rely on a dev community to fix issues with my phone - simply because there is always another phone that is bigger and better with more features coming out every 6 months that they will want. My natural smartphone progression should have been to have never upgraded from the Centro until now, when I managed to purchase a Pre off of Craigslist for $60 out of contract. Yes, $60. (The seller had no clue how to activate the phone!!!)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123