Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    1.) It is NOT a software issue with the Pre
    2.) Have you tried GPS Fix yet?

Also have some potential magic going with some overclocking that seems to even solve the stand alone GPS.

http://bit.ly/bcxivH

-- The guy who knows a lot about this stuff
    Yeah, I tried GPS fix, but that didn't really work for me either.
    Switch to a Droid X and then send it to me and Ill send u my Pre+. Deal
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I agree, switch. But check with other Android users on VZW to see it you'll be able to use all the capabilities you're hoping for.
    No, I haven't come close to making up my mind yet. I WANT to stay with the Pre Plus. I stopped by a Verizon on the way home and checked out some of the Android devices (Droid, Droid 2, Droid X, Samsung Galaxy). None of them came close to the Pre Plus in my mind. I don't like the hardware as much and I definitely don't like the software as much. I just want a clear cut solution to the GPS issue and Verizon is giving me one (albeit, not the one I want). I just have to decide in the next couple of months if GPS is that important to me.

I would think Verizon would be just as happy to give me a free subscription to the VZ Nav service (basically a $180 value since I have 18 months left on my contract) as opposed to a free Android phone.
    But then everyone with a Pre would want free Nav, which defeats the purpose of crippling to make more people buy Nav. However, they can offer you a different phone...that you don't want...and not cost themselves a thing.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    But then everyone with a Pre would want free Nav, which defeats the purpose of crippling to make more people buy Nav. However, they can offer you a different phone...that you don't want...and not cost themselves a thing.
    By that logic wouldn't every Pre owner potentially want a brand new Android phone for free?
    If it were me the only dilemma I would have is the touchstones that were just bought but if you can get past that then for sure pick your self up a nice droid
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    By that logic wouldn't every Pre owner potentially want a brand new Android phone for free?
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    If every Pre owner would want a new Android phone, you wouldn't be faced with this dilemma, no? It stands to reason that after 30 days, a person is probably pretty happy with their device...enough that a missing feature (GPS) hasn't drawn them away from the phone (and this issue is complained about on this board quite frequently). You might not want to trade sacrifice your phone/apps/whatever just for GPS. On the other hand, if you could get the Nav (or rather, GPS) for free AND keep the phone, you would, right? That's why they don't give you the Nav for free.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    No, I haven't come close to making up my mind yet. I WANT to stay with the Pre Plus. I stopped by a Verizon on the way home and checked out some of the Android devices (Droid, Droid 2, Droid X, Samsung Galaxy). None of them came close to the Pre Plus in my mind. I don't like the hardware as much and I definitely don't like the software as much. I just want a clear cut solution to the GPS issue and Verizon is giving me one (albeit, not the one I want). I just have to decide in the next couple of months if GPS is that important to me.

I would think Verizon would be just as happy to give me a free subscription to the VZ Nav service (basically a $180 value since I have 18 months left on my contract) as opposed to a free Android phone.
    Actually, based on this statement, "So, my dilemma...how long do I wait on Palm? If they have no intention of fixing this bug, then as much as I'd HATE to lose my Pre Plus, I'd probably switch to an Android device (especially considering I just outfitted my car with the Touchstone). As much as I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Pre Plus, I'm not going 18 months without a good map function." you have.

The problem isn't with Palm, the problem is with how VZW has crippled the Pre+. VZW has made the decision that they would prefer to blame the issue on Palm and get Pre owners to switch. Thus, it's not something that's going to happen. Palm can't fix a problem that VZW has created. VZW has decided that the users of the Pre+ isn't big enough to worry about and that if something else is offered, those customers will stay and be satisfied. VZW is in a no loss situation.

Don't wait on Palm, because they aren't the cause of your GPS issue. Make the move that VZW is strongly recommending if you want to be happy with them over the next 18 months.
    vzw has crippled gps functionality on a whole line of windows mobile phones ad blackberries, and only after constant harrassment and even class action lawsuits have they finally relented and opened up gps access to those devices.

cantaffordit most certainly is on to something in that there is some feature of vzw's agps that is not freely availabl
    e to all companies, and only some (google) have been able to program for it since gps functionality is crucial to google's ambitions.
  10.    #30  
    Well, I guess VZ just has me by the ba**s then. GPS is a very important feature to me. I may still not switch...I'll just have to wait and see.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Well, I guess VZ just has me by the ba**s then. GPS is a very important feature to me. I may still not switch...I'll just have to wait and see.
    What if you switch to android and still have gps problems? Then you know they have you by the bolls.
    I wonder with the rise of the smartphones will people see how VZW really cripples their phones and might now start switching.
    She offered to exchange my Pre Plus for any phone I wanted. I said I'd like to wait a little bit to see if there is any kind of update released by Palm that would address the issue. All I have to do is call her back and tell her what I want.
    Well, let's take a look at this argument.

VZW is saying it is Palm's issue to fix, Palm is saying they've done all they can and it is not webOS.

So, if you wait for the next device, and neither side bends on their argument, you can not be assured that the next webOS device, no matter how rockin' the hardware is, will not have the exact same issue.

Personally, I would take the Droid given that. While I wish I had a Pre Plus, I am happy to have a fully functional Pre (minus) on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    I wonder with the rise of the smartphones will people see how VZW really cripples their phones and might now start switching.
    I know many many people that have left verizon myself, most for sprint or tmobile. They are all much happier now.
  15.    #35  
    I wish Palm would hurry and announce their next WebOS phone! If that could come out in the next couple of months, maybe my decision would be a lot easier. This is of course under the assumption that a new WebOS phone had functional GPS on VZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Personally, I would take the Droid given that.
    Personally, I would switch carriers ASAP.

But if that is not an option and GPS is a killer feature - shrug - then the answer to the OPs question is in those parameters.

Any new Palm device has a fair chance of having the same problem - because it seems most likely that Verizon messed this up and does not seem to be in a great hurry to fix it.

The only other short term solution is paying the nav service - which would fix the issue - but also rewards Verizon for their behaviour.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    I came from an HTC Droid Eris that I had rooted, overclocked and running Android 2.2 Froyo. I personally felt it was horrible - HORRIBLE - that I had to learn how to essentially hack the phone to do what I needed it to do in order to have a device that did everything I need it to do.

Don't get me wrong, I did love the fact I had the ability to root my phone and basically make it anything I wanted it to be. However, this is the realization that I came to:

At some point the dev's in the Android scene are going to move onto another device. They will eventually grow tired of the Eris and start working on more modern devices. Then I will be left with a stock HTC Sense build or a modified (and unfinished) ROM that is a Frankenstien of Android 2.2. I couldn't have that. The Pre, out of the box, outperformed my Eris running on 2.2. It does everything I want it to (and more) and with more polish.

GPS was an issue for me, but right now I'm coughing up $10 for VZ Nav. I have no desire to put in an actual GPS unit because for me that's $120 - $200 lost if it's stolen out of my car. I don't want to accidentally forget to wipe down my windshield to remove the suction cup marks from the nav unit, forget to unplug it, etc. And honestly, I tried it out over the weekend and it successfully re-routed me during a trip I made with the wife and we avoided a TON of traffic. The app isn't perfect by any means, but it saved my ***.

Honestly, if you are looking for another phone now don't. 4G / LTE is on its way. Phones you get now, if they extend your contract, will be outclassed by the next crop of phones. Upgrading from your Pre to those phones makes much more sense. Personally, I will wait for another Palm/HP device based on WebOS. I'm immensely impressed.
    If navigation is that important to you, then you should switch to Android. The free Google Nav has replaced my Garmin 365t.

That being said, WebOS is a much more polished experience than Android 2.2. I bought a Droid 2 for myself and a Palm Pixi Plus for my wife (both on Verizon). WebOS is just a better experience. My Droid 2 has better configurablity (no patches or rooting involved) and much better app selection. The desk and car cradles are also very cool.

My wife's Pixi it a better form factor and WebOS is just a joy to use.

You'll get used to Android, but it won't be as polished as WebOS. If nav is that big a deal (my wife doesn't use it at all on her Pixi), then Android is the way to go. Go back to WebOS when Verizon/Palm get it together. I'd recommend teh Droid2. It's a very nice device (if a little heavy).

John
    go ahead and get the andriod phone and i will wait for you here. and see how much you miss your pre when you come back !! lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I love WebOS, but I hate my Pre Plus. The power button stoppped working, the speaker is almost blown, and the body is made of the most soft and fragile materials. After 2 three foot drops I probaly could've thrown my old Moto Razr through a brick wall and it still would've looked better than my Pre.

My little sister just got a Droid X and it is SO much better than my pre. Side by Side comparisons show faster youtube clips, faster web browsing, games, ui, everything is better, and most everything works perfect.

I'm getting in touch with Verizons Executive Offices when I find an e-mail that works and switching to Android ASAP. I don't wanna worry about my phones inabilities.

I pay the smartphone price, its time for me to get the smartphone experience. ( Minus Multitasking which I will miss....)

-Gu1l7y
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast