View Poll Results: How many times have you sent a Pre plus back?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never!

29 67.44%
  • Tolerable (1-3)

7 16.28%
  • Excessive amounts (4+)

7 16.28%
  1.    #1  
    How many of you have never had to send a pre back for warranty?
    Into the 7th month of my VZW Pre+. I must have one of those Chuck Norris units. Seems to be holding up well. But, I seem to be very gentle on my equipment.

The only downside with my phone is sometimes sticky keyboard. Missing letters, double letters, etc. This issue is not drastic. More occasional annoyance than anything else.

Oh yeah... editing about the infamous VZW gps lockdown issue. I could always reliable kickstart GPS by prelaunching VZnavigator. So it was also mainly an annoyance. GPS-fix made an improvement on that. Now I use Mode switcher to turn everything on when I need it with one simple trigger.

Despite my good luck, I do think that the hardware on my unit is subpar.
    Last edited by luau joe; 09/19/2010 at 01:14 PM.
    I returned my Pre on the first day I got it because it was stuck in headset mode, instead of trying to fix it they just handed me a new one. I had the keyboard issue most had before 1.4 or 1.3.5 which ever update fixed it, it fixed it for me. I still have the occasional issue, with E key especially. GPS used to never work without VZNav, once did work with out for a short period then stopped. The GPS patch for VZW is incredibly inaccurate when I try using it, so for now I stick with using VZNav and I just deal with it.

I have no oreo effect. Slider works great, the USB door did come out once, I snapped it back in. Recently the small plastic piece behind the door broke on one side, but it is still hanging on OK.

My phone has been submerged under water at one point too, I will add. I had time to pull the battery before it shut it self down, it did seem to get some water damage, took it a bit before it would boot properly. I still have it OC'd at 1.2 GHz, so it must be a Chuck Norris phone.
    We have 2 vzw plusses in our house, they are both used for personal and business use daily. Neither of them has been replaced and we haven't had any issues except the double character issue that is much better since 1.4.1 came out, hasn't gotten any better with 1.4.5 which is a bit disappointing.
    im new to the verizon version but so far so good, No typing issues and Im abloe to run sr71 at 1.2 no problems at all, The best thing is since its hacked I am running the Sprint comms board so no gps issues either!!!! woohoo.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

6.    #6  
    just a general question: when you guys say the keyboard messes up "occasionally", how often are we talking?
    1-2 key strokes every few sentences. It very well could be human error, in some instances, but E key is certainly broken to some degree on my phone.
    you guys are lucky! I can't run the 1.2 ghz on my pre plus :/
    Quote Originally Posted by palml0ver View Post
    you guys are lucky! I can't run the 1.2 ghz on my pre plus :/
    My last 3 Pre-'s couldnt either, I just got lucky w/ The plus I bought for the FrankenPre project.

The only issue is the white spots at the bottom of the screen which are only visible w/ certain color b/grounds.

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    My Pre has the usual keyboard and headset issues, but neither are so major to warrant a replacement... until it gets a scratch and I purposefully put in in headset mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    My last 3 Pre-'s couldnt either, I just got lucky w/ The plus I bought for the FrankenPre project.

The only issue is the white spots at the bottom of the screen which are only visible w/ certain color b/grounds.
    And are those white spots aligned with the icons you press (same 'column')?
    No its hard to explain, like the screen is getting some backlight bleeding through at the bottom about 15 px high and a little spotchy right there.

Does not show up on the screenshots though.

Really its not real bad, Its an easy trade off to be able to run 1.2ghz though. lol

Follow the link below.

just sticky keys sometimes, usually it
    worsens when phone is started up fresh , improves after phone has been in use for a while.

hot battery in week 1, exchanged, same with battery #2, until I found out it was normal. This resolved on it's own after 1 week, when phone was all set up.

occ stuck in headset mode issues.

have grt case and skinomi protector. Hardware has thus far been otherwise great.

still on pre plus #1.
    everything fine, slider is great after 7th month of use...however, developed famous crack adjacent to usb door before getting Invisible Shield...the shield has prevented crack from spreading...usb door still intact. Otherwise, hardware works well & has been durable.
    Quote Originally Posted by shanshor View Post
    just a general question: when you guys say the keyboard messes up "occasionally", how often are we talking?
    Comes and goes. Usually more noticeable periodically, but then it settles down. Sometimes I would mess up with a few missing keystrokes or doubles in a single sentence. Then the next 5 sentences would be perfect.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    8 pres later still kbd issues. I just gave up trying to get a perfect one.
    kbd headset and slider wobbly issues were my problem.
    oh yes, I too have the small crack by the usb door. I think everyone does. It's a rite of passage I guess...
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    oh yes, I too have the small crack by the usb door. I think everyone does. It's a rite of passage I guess...
    Ive had 4 or 5 Sprint Pres and this is my first Verizon and Ive never had the Usb crack.

Follow the link below.

Coming from a Sprint Pre and building a Sprint Franken Pre Plus, the keyboard skipping was a shock. It was so annoying, I had to transplant the entire Sprint back so I could combine the Sprint comm board and keyboard with the Verizon front. As I understand it, the Verizon software releases include code to minimize the keyboard issues, but since I'm running the Sprint software instead, I figured that that code would be absent and would never be integrated with any Sprint release. I like the splash of orange on the Sprint Pre's keyboard anyway, so I'm happy it now functions better and looks better (at least to me).
    Global Posts
    305 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    I had the keyboard issue...1-2 key strokes every few sentences. It very well could be human error, in some instances, but E key is certainly broken to some degree on my phone.
    I haven't sent mine back yet. I have keyboard issues similar to squeezy. The 'E' is the worst of the keys that have issues. If I push the key to the left, it will usually skip. If I push it to the right, it will usually work. I also get an occasional double letter. I have to think and watch the screen when I type. I'm not big on texting or emailing from my phone so it hasn't been a big deal. Other that that, no major problems.

I also have my Pre in a GRT case. It dropped out of my pocket once getting out of the car. It fell maybe 18" to the parking lot. The case took the brunt of the hit and split apart. The Pre got a minor scratch or two. The case has done a great job keeping my Pre looking like new
    Verizon Pre Plus owner since 03-24-2010