1.    #1  
    Ok, I purchased an app in the app catolog today and without verifying my card it just said purchasing and then downloaded it. So my question is what will happen because the previous card on there was a debit card that was empty? Will I be charged some other way?
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Heh just happened to me. Got the dl but then got an email saying it was denied. It was a total accident but the app stayed. But what happened after is now when I went back to switch out the Greendot card I had originally with another card it won't let me saying contact my cc issuer. And one thing I do know is that this card hass been associated with my app catalog before so I'm not sure what's up. I did actually delete the game to see if that would fix things but it didn't. And strangely I am still able to download the app free of charge even though it never went through supposedly. Even my card statement shows no go on the transaction.
    I am losing my mind at an alarming rate . . . Actually, I'm not really alarmed at all.
    you will probably see an overdraft charge. Congrats on paying about $30 for a 99 cent app!!
    The federal government just passed a law outlawing overdraft charges on debit card transactions and the banks now just have to deny your transaction if you don't have the funds, so hopefully you didn't opt in for the overdraft protection and you won't have to pay the charge.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you will probably see an overdraft charge. Congrats on paying about $30 for a 99 cent app!!
    Overdraft charge on a debit card? Isn't the whole idea of a debit card to pay in advance?

Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    The federal government just passed a law outlawing overdraft charges on debit card transactions and the banks now just have to deny your transaction if you don't have the funds, so hopefully you didn't opt in for the overdraft protection and you won't have to pay the charge.
    Exactly, your check bounces. EDIT: well, huh, supposed to bounce, unless Palm accepts it
    This happened to me to when I changed my credit card. What will happen is that Palm will eventually charge you when you update your card. The app catalog will not let you download another paid app until you update your card. When you do, all the denied charges will eventually be applied...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Overdraft charge on a debit card? Isn't the whole idea of a debit card to pay in advance?
    Kind of, but the OP is probably talking about the debit cards that are linked to your bank account. Generally, banks will let transactions on these cards go through and then charge you an overdraft charge if you didn't have the funds. My dad was really bad at it because he'd swipe for gas in large amounts, but my mom manages the account (so she's the one who knows how much money is in there) and the gas takes about four days to show up on your account, so he'd forget to tell her when he got gas and then sometimes she'd have an overdraft charge and she would be angry. So now she's super anal about when they put gas in the car, too.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/19/2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: language
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  8.    #8  
    That debit card was not associated with the bank or anything it was just a card I got for a rebate. I will put my current bank debit card on the app catolog and see if it charges that card.
    Kind of, but the OP is probably talking about the debit cards that are linked to your bank account. Generally, banks will let transactions on these cards go through and then charge you an overdraft charge if you didn't have the funds. My dad was really bad at it because he'd swipe for gas in large amounts, but my mom manages the account (so she's the one who knows how much money is in there) and the gas takes about four days to show up on your account, so he'd forget to tell her when he got gas and then sometimes she'd have an overdraft charge and she would be ****ed. So now she's super anal about when they put gas in the car, too.
    LOL -good one. Your mom sounds a lot like mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeagles36 View Post
    Ok, I purchased an app in the app catolog today and without verifying my card it just said purchasing and then downloaded it. So my question is what will happen because the previous card on there was a debit card that was empty? Will I be charged some other way?
    Consider yourself lucky. Are you sure your debit card didn't have the amount needed for that purchase. ^_^. I've contacted HP|Palm about this issue and they're looking into the matter. The app you have purchase wasn't done in a fraudulent manner. Your good to go.

cheers~
  11.    #11  
    ok thanks RUSH :-) I hope I am good to go and thanks for contacting palm about the issue.
    ok thanks RUSH :-) I hope I am good to go and thanks for contacting palm about the issue.
    Your welcome.
    As a former bank employee I just have to tell you this isn't entirely true. The government passed an amendment to Regulation E which applies to electronic funds transfers (ie debit card transactions, among other things) which states the bank cannot overdraw your account without your prior consent. Sounds like no one in their right mind would allow this to happen but you'd be surprised how many people I had opting in to overdraft services. And you have the ability to change your overdraft elections at any time. Say, for instance, you had an emergency and you didn't have enough money in your account, being able to overdraw it would be a big help. Too many people use overdrafts as a way to pay for things which can get out of control very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I've seen people get a $39 overdraft fee on a $.07 overdraft. It's bullpoopie, to put it nicely.

Kind of, but the OP is probably talking about the debit cards that are linked to your bank account. Generally, banks will let transactions on these cards go through and then charge you an overdraft charge if you didn't have the funds. My dad was really bad at it because he'd swipe for gas in large amounts, but my mom manages the account (so she's the one who knows how much money is in there) and the gas takes about four days to show up on your account, so he'd forget to tell her when he got gas and then sometimes she'd have an overdraft charge and she would be angry. So now she's super anal about when they put gas in the car, too.
    The thing that messes up a lot of people is gas station purchases. The gas station only authorizes your card for $1 and can take 5 to 7 days to process the charge and post it to your account. A customer told me, and it's always worked for me, that if you run your card as a debit and use your pin rather than a credit that it does still take 3 days to post to your account but you will see it in your pending activity. Again, I've seen this with my own account, but this is with my bank, I've never had anyone try it with a different bank. Also, under Reg E, and if you've opted out of overdraft services, if you get an authorization while your account is still positive (ex gas purchase) and the charge posts to a negative balance the bank cannot charge you an overdraft fee. Might want to have your mom look into this.

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly neighborhood ex bank employee. I quit. Got tired of trying to explain to people why they got overdraft fees if they spent more money than they had. Didn't seem like rocket science but after explaining that to morons for almost 3 years I got a little burned out.
    There are two ways to pass a hurdle: leaping over or plowing through...
    There needs to be a monster truck option.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I think a lot of people are failing to see the loophole on this particular case. For a bank issued card obviously everything mentioned is true. Where the loophole comes in is with prepaid debit cards such as GreenDot, Netspend, etc. People can basically walk in to a convenience store, buy a card with cash, use the balance on whatever they want (zeroing the card), then throw an app on there and never have to pay. It's a lot of trouble for one free app, but the point is palm should deny the download if the card is denied.

- Phil -
    Consider it a grace purchase. Those that "exploit" the way the app catalog is setup will still receive a bill and you will be locked out of further purchases until it's paid.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Consider it a grace purchase. Those that "exploit" the way the app catalog is setup will still receive a bill and you will be locked out of further purchases until it's paid.
    +1 theft big or small is still theft.... I would try to fix this issue even if it was .99 cents.
    That debit card was not associated with the bank or anything it was just a card I got for a rebate. I will put my current bank debit card on the app catolog and see if it charges that card.
    if it was a gift card, it isn't a debit card. A debit card is tied to a bank account.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Consider yourself lucky. Are you sure your debit card didn't have the amount needed for that purchase. ^_^. I've contacted HP|Palm about this issue and they're looking into the matter. The app you have purchase wasn't done in a fraudulent manner. Your good to go.

cheers~
    do you work for Palm?
    they should just throw any denied charges on the carrier's bill. that way the app developers don't hosed.

This reminds me of the way DirecTV used to let you order PPV without a phone line connected. On one TV, I only hook up the receiver to the phone line when needed (cord runs all the way across the room, so not leaving it connected). I ordered 10-12 PPV's over 6-9 months, then they all were charged after I hooked up the phone line. =P
    I see pandas.