Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    wow . just got my second refurb from sprint. I am using an invisashield and have really babied this phone as it was going to be my son's next phone.

I put the phone in my pocket last night as i have done hundreds of times and when i pulled it out the left 3rd of the screen was not working.

When i took the phone into the sprint store they said it was physical damage and there was nothing they could do about it. Same with the 5 people in customer service and assurion that i talked to on the phone.

what are my options? can the screen be replaced? where can i get a screen? I am eligible for an upgrade but do not want to use it as i am waiting for palm like everybody else. I am so angry.

I threatened to drop sprint and even talked to somebody about how much my early cancellation fees would be. And they wouldnt bite.

The phone is only 5 days old. I think I am getting an evo on monday and really am not happy about it. I cant see spending $100 on an insurance claim or for a phone off craigslist. did i mention i am angry.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/18/2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: language
    Wow, that's just mess up. I would be upset myself. Unfortunately, screen damage isn't coverd by your tep insurance. You would have to file a claim with assurion, with a $100 deductable. It wouldn't be profitable using your upgrade on a pre right now, unless you're planning on keeping your phone for another year.(Like Me) ^_^.

Ps. Remember that the evo screen is a lot bigger than the pre's, and more prone to damage.

best of luck finding a cheap one to purchase.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/18/2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: no edit - hit wrong button
  3.    #3  
    thanks for the edit. sorry about that. you are right. i am angry. off to craigslist. i dont want to use my upgrade.
    I understand you are mad, but accidents happen, and it's not sprints fault either. That evo glass screen breaks quite easily I have heard. Just bite the bullet and get one from assurion...
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Unfortunately, screen damage isn't coverd by your tep insurance. You would have to file a claim with assurion, with a $100 deductable.
    Um....TEP insurance IS with Asurion.

To the OP...do you have TEP insurance? If you do, why carry it if you don't want to pay the deductible?

How long have you been with Sprint? If you are a longtime customer in good standing, it's possible they can credit you $100 to cover the deductible.
    I had the same exact thing happened. My original Pre was replaced for USB port crack. About 3 weeks later my screen developed a crack from the bottom left corner. It is now spreading across the entire screen. The touchscreen still works, but the screen is basically not legible on the left 1/3 of the phone (now about 1/2 of screen). I had my original Pre for almost a year without anything like that happening. My refurb lasted 3 weeks. The day the crack appeared I used it and it was working fine. Had it in my pocket for a couple of hours and when I pulled it out, cracked screen. I didn't bump into anything or do anything to cause the damage. Was told the same thing by Sprint, physical damage not covered under warranty.

Not real happy about the situation. Going to switch to Evo. Was hoping to hold out till the next Palm phone, but not going to make it now.
    The other options I considered were buying another Pre from e-bay or having the screen replaced. Found a website called pdasmart that will replace screen for $135. E-bay is in the same neighborhood.

Decided to go Evo instead.
    If the screen damage is emanating from the USB port, call PALM and file a warranty claim with them. They will ask if you dropped the phone (which you obviously didn't). Explain that the phone is a refurb that you only had for 5 days. If/once they determine that/whether it is a valid warranty claim, they will ask you to choose either to send the phone in and they'll send a replacement once they revieve/verify yours or they'll let you do an "advanced exchange" (which they will quote a price depending on what state you live in). Explain to the Palm CSR that you feel you did nothing wrong and should not be inconvenienced, then politely ask to escalate to his/her manager. The manager will likely start the "whole 9 yards" of questions over again. This is frustrating but if remember that this person can waive the advance exchange fee if you don't p i s s him/her off. If your damage is due to a USB crack, Palm ought to be (but might not be) glad to see that their refurb process is shipping out defective product. Perhaps if you get a good CSR/manager, maybe they'll add some sort of note so they can examine your phone and improve how they check/test phones when they are refurbishing them.

good luck,
    --
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    If the screen damage is emanating from the USB port
    Doesn't sound like it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeiniowa View Post
    I put the phone in my pocket last night as i have done hundreds of times and when i pulled it out the left 3rd of the screen was not working.
    wow . just got my second refurb from sprint. I am using an invisashield and have really babied this phone as it was going to be my son's next phone.

When i took the phone into the sprint store they said it was physical damage and there was nothing they could do about it. Same with the 5 people in customer service and assurion that i talked to on the phone.

what are my options? can the screen be replaced? where can i get a screen? I am eligible for an upgrade but do not want to use it as i am waiting for palm like everybody else. I am so angry.

I threatened to drop sprint and even talked to somebody about how much my early cancellation fees would be. And they wouldnt bite.

The phone is only 5 days old. I think I am getting an evo on monday and really am not happy about it. I cant see spending $100 on an insurance claim or for a phone off craigslist. did i mention i am angry.
    My gf has her old Pre (not in the BEST condition but usable) that she'd be willing to sell. PM me if interested.
    @Trekker, I read his description (which does not sound like any problem that I've read about or seen yet). Perhaps you've seen that behavior and it's clear to you what both the behavior is and cause is. To me, it was not at all clear. He didn't say the screen was broken, just that 1/3 of it is "not working". Does that mean that the digitizer is not working or that the pixels are dead. Is is possible that one or two of the backlight LEDs on the left side stopped working? As I try and extrapolate what the OP said, I'm not so sure I believe it's really "physical damage". I failed to make it clear in my post that Sprint stores consider USB cracks to be "customer damage" (which it clearly is not). My point is that Sprint has been charged back for devices that had both USB damage and evidence of rough use. Sprint's knee jerk reaction is to call all but the most pristine phones with exhibiting design stresses to be customer damage. When the USB crack affects the digitizer, it goes quickly, but it's quite possible that the opposite side might stop working first. If it's the backlight LEDs, I don't see how they can call that user damage. I'd like the OP to better explain the problem. It's also likely that Sprint has flagged his phone (in their computers) as damaged. If this is the case, the OP's only remaining recourse is to try and describe the problem to Palm on his own. (The Sprint store can give him the phone number to call in order to do this.)

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Sorry if I'm repeating anything already said, but, I have had 3 Pre's rplaced, under warranty, due to cracks in the case/screen.

Two were in the external surface. One, originated around the USB door and the other around the control button in the center. Both are considered known issues.

One, was a refurb that, the day it showed up, I recognized minute stress cracks in the glass screen below the outside surface. If your inner screen is cracked without your outer screen being damaged, you should be able to replace under warranty, as it is nearly impossible to crack the inside without cracking the outside too unless it is faulty.

I would escalate this up the ladder. If you genuinely didn't break it, and it fits any of what I described, you should have a warranty complaint. I am on Pre number 10, all serious flaws, and only once was I actually responsible for the damage. That one time I owned it and paid the insurance copay.

If you really can't get any satisfaction, I would A) Cancel my insurance because B) you can buy a used Pre for at or under $100 and C) wait out my plan, then lodge a huge complaint with customer retention and not rest until they have given you the store.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Sorry if I'm repeating anything already said, but, I have had 3 Pre's rplaced, under warranty, due to cracks in the case/screen.

Two were in the external surface. One, originated around the USB door and the other around the control button in the center. Both are considered known issues.

One, was a refurb that, the day it showed up, I recognized minute stress cracks in the glass screen below the outside surface. If your inner screen is cracked without your outer screen being damaged, you should be able to replace under warranty, as it is nearly impossible to crack the inside without cracking the outside too unless it is faulty.

I would escalate this up the ladder. If you genuinely didn't break it, and it fits any of what I described, you should have a warranty complaint. I am on Pre number 10, all serious flaws, and only once was I actually responsible for the damage. That one time I owned it and paid the insurance copay.

If you really can't get any satisfaction, I would A) Cancel my insurance because B) you can buy a used Pre for at or under $100 and C) wait out my plan, then lodge a huge complaint with customer retention and not rest until they have given you the store.

i like the way u think. i thought without any outside cracks it would be from faulty equipment. i will post a pic sunday to show you the problem. the touchscreen still works fine. But the left 1/3 to 40% is black and gray.

Thanks for all the help.

on a side note I saw another pre in the wild today. Talked to the guy and he hated it. He had know idea what it could do and I explained it the best I could as my phone was reset last night as I thought it would be the only time i could since the screen was going bad. He was going to check out this site and preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I am on Pre number 10, all serious flaws...
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    @Trekker, I read his description (which does not sound like any problem that I've read about or seen yet). Perhaps you've seen that behavior and it's clear to you what both the behavior is and cause is.
    No, I was just pointing out that the OP said the problem was on the left side of the screen. The USB is on the right side, so it doesn't sound like his problem is related to the infamous "USB crack."
  16.    #16  
    here is a pic of what happened to my phone. bad pic taken on my son's pos evo. No exterior scratch. I am going to call palm today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

my phones screen wasnt working properly and i had to bring it back to sprint and they replaced it with no questions . if you think about it . the phone being a refurb could have had prior issues and i would be highly upset if they did not replace it with no charge at all . also i would call sprint over the phone and ask for someone in managment to fix the issue..... with a please.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    its not your fault if they cant find any thing that would sugest abuse on the phone. it an internal problem and could be defunct product.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    palm should replace it, as long as there is no physical damage to the phone. They replaced 2 pres that had the same issue.
  20.    #20  
    I talked to 6-7 reps on the phone yesterday and got no satisfaction.

I am going to call palm next. thanks for all the support.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast