1.    #1  
    Like the title says , ive always wanted a pre and its free with an upgrade , should i jump or wait?
    Pre Plus for sprint?
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    I dunno. From putting my finger in the air over at the Future Palm Devices forum, I'd say you've got at least 3 months to wait, possibly 4. I have an original Sprint Pre, so I'm already getting in on the webOS love, so I can wait that long, but that would be a long time to wait if I didn't have one.

On the other hand, considering Verizon's and AT&T's 2-year device renewal terms (as opposed to Sprint's 1-year upgrade pricing), I'm not sure I'd want to be stuck with a Pre Plus for over a year and a half while everyone else is basking in the newness.

Tough call. Maybe you can buy a used one from all those defectors.

-Andrew
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    if your user name is v12vanquish I would assume that you have one and would not really care if you pay $0 or $400 for a phone.
    It's a great phone and awesome OS... but we don't know when the new phones will hit. That's going to be a personal decision for you... are you willing to use up an upgrade if the new phone hits in less than 6 months (for example)? Tough one
    if u plan on installing patches, go for it. otherwise wait for a new palm devise.
    Quote Originally Posted by acaplinger View Post
    I dunno. From putting my finger in the air over at the Future Palm Devices forum, I'd say you've got at least 3 months to wait, possibly 4. I have an original Sprint Pre, so I'm already getting in on the webOS love, so I can wait that long, but that would be a long time to wait if I didn't have one.

On the other hand, considering Verizon's and AT&T's 2-year device renewal terms (as opposed to Sprint's 1-year upgrade pricing), I'm not sure I'd want to be stuck with a Pre Plus for over a year and a half while everyone else is basking in the newness.

Tough call. Maybe you can buy a used one from all those defectors.

-Andrew
    I have to say it's more than 4 months til we see new webos phone. If it comes out within next 4 months, then this will be the best kept secret phone EVER!!!! When company make a new phone like this, they have to do atleast couple of months of QA testing in real world. And that's when we see some leak phone on places like Gizmodo or Engadget. So far we haven't seen anything yet. I'll say it's 6+ months away from we'll see next generation phone.
    I miss read the thread. My fault lol.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    I don't know which carrier you're looking at but if you go with Verizon it's $70 for a Palm device with a 1 year commitment. They let you upgrade when you are 6 month from the end of your 2 year contract so you could check with a CS rep to see if they do the same with with a 1 year contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I don't know which carrier you're looking at but if you go with Verizon it's $70 for a Palm device with a 1 year commitment. They let you upgrade when you are 6 month from the end of your 2 year contract so you could check with a CS rep to see if they do the same with with a 1 year contract.
    I think most people upgrade with a 2 year agreement and go with the 'New for Two' after a full 24 months with VZW. If you like your carrier you just get devices at the lowest cost.
  11.    #11  
    Im going with the pre plus for Verizon , ive had a Lg Decoy for a year now and the battery costs 30 bucks to replace for a phone that is basically worthless :-\
    Quote Originally Posted by chad4359 View Post
    I think most people upgrade with a 2 year agreement and go with the 'New for Two' after a full 24 months with VZW. If you like your carrier you just get devices at the lowest cost.
    The "New for Two" only applies to a primary line though. If on a family plan those lines don't get the "New for Two" bonus, just the 1 or 2 year commitment pricing.

And it's not the carrier service he's really talking about here it's him bieng able to get a new subsidized webOS device if it's released within a year. I was just mentioning that in some cases Verizon lets you extend your commitment early.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    The "New for Two" only applies to a primary line though. If on a family plan those lines don't get the "New for Two" bonus, just the 1 or 2 year commitment pricing.

And it's not the carrier service he's really talking about here it's him bieng able to get a new subsidized webOS device if it's released within a year. I was just mentioning that in some cases Verizon lets you extend your commitment early.
    Sorry I misunderstood. You make a very good point for anyone thinking of upgrading at this time. Well played
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    for how cheep you can get a palm pre plus these days hunting on ebay, I'd say just put aside 50-100 bucks, enjoy the pre love for a few months, and then when the new more amazing palm phone cmes out you will still have your upgrade.
    I second picking up a used Pre for cheap and enjoying it while waiting for the new device to drop.
    I agree, just buy a used one on eBay.
    I just jumped on that 69 offer for a year contract. (Still waiting for the phone to arrive), but it seemed like an ok compromise for me.

I hate myself for writing this, but I just don't think there will be a new WebOS phone before CES in January (4 months out).. Now add a month or two to get it out into production and in to ordinary people's hands (and, now we're up to 6 months). And that will probably be just Sprint or ATT! Knowing Verizon's past track record with palm, trust them to then sit on the side lines for an additional 6-8 months before they release on to the network. I hope I am wrong on these points, but thats how I see it.

For what it's worth, I would say if you need "device over carrier" then don't tie yourself down in a Verizon contract; expect to go w/ Spring or ATT in 4-8 months, and if lucky a little bit sooner. If you need or are happy with Verizon service and can wait it out, then a one year contract might be ok. Only you can decide.
    I would say to wait, for me the most obvious issue with it would be being stuck with it for 18 months. Granted it's a nice phone but I would only want it for 4 months. We're hearing chatter of the device coming out in November but like passlogix said it could easily be 6. Even though Palm is rather good at keeping its secrets. If I were you I'd go with a Droid phone because it's as close as you can get to the openness of webOS but it's an up to date piece of hardware, and then upgrade to the next webOS device when it comes time.

I think if you are to get a Pre Plus now you'll grow to hate it within 6 months. It is a rather sluggish device now (even with 1GHz I have trouble with 3 cards open).

My upgrade is in October and if they don't make any announcements by the end of October I'm done with webOS. But I don't want to turn this into one of those threads so I'll just stop here.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    only $30 for a battery blackberry wanted $50-75 depending on where you purchased it. The reason I switched carriers and phones good luck and enjoy
    Unless your phone is absolutely falling apart I'd say wait. There's too much buzz about the next generation of the WebOS phone to tie yourself up with an older model. BUT if you cant wait go for it. Used or new - the PreCentral Homebrewers are awesome and will have you lovin your phone in very very easy steps!