Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Got tired of the tiny screen and lack of WiFi on my Sprint Pixi, so I took the plunge and treated myself to a little birthday gift in the form of a refurbished Pre from eBay. Got the e-mail this morning that it has been shipped, and I can't wait.

However, I have never activated a phone I haven't received from a carrier before, and I had a few questions. The eBay listing stated that it had a clean ESN and was "ready for activation". Now the phone doesn't come with a box, so do I just find the ESN in the "device info" app? Can I activate it online at sprint.com or do I need to go in to a Sprint store?

Just needed some advice so I can expedite the process once it arrives and get all the feedback and whatnot settled on eBay.
    Come play with my Twitter.
    You really should have checked the ESN, before purchasing. Just because they say it's clean, doesn't make it true.

The ESN is located on a sticker under the battery. If the phone isn't activated, you won't be able to get into Device Info to locate it there.

Yes, it can be activated online.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  3.    #3  
    Ahh, see, I didn't know enough about the process, just kind of jumped in. The seller had a near 100% rating with hundreds of transactions under his belt, so hopefully he's on the up-and-up. I've heard eBay is pretty easy to deal with if you're a buyer who gets screwed over (although I've heard horror stories about sellers that eBay lets get ripped off), so worst case scenario I'm sure I could easily get my money back.

I'll just try to stay positive in the mean-time. Out of curiosity, how do you check the ESN before activation? Just get the number from the seller and call Sprint up?
    You can check with Sprint, plus there are several online sites to heck them. Some are free and some charge a small fee.

You can also activate over the phone with Sprint, so no need to run to a store.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Did you have any difficulty moving your Palm Profile from the Pixi to the Pre?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    please let us know how the move went as I am contemplating it myself. I can upgrade in november and have a few peeves about my Pixi that are just killing me.
  7.    #7  
    Once it arrives sometime next week I'll pop back in and let ya know how the switch went with regards to the Palm Profile and apps moving over properly. I held out on Angry Birds for Pixi 'cause I had a feeling that since it was a separate listing in the app catalog that it wouldn't carry over. Especially after hearing about the guy and his problems with Need For Speed.

Hopefully it all goes well with regards to activation, I had a hell of a time convincing the g/f that it was safe to buy a phone on eBay so I'd hate to suffer the dreaded "Told you so!". :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMav View Post
    Once it arrives sometime next week I'll pop back in and let ya know how the switch went with regards to the Palm Profile and apps moving over properly. I held out on Angry Birds for Pixi 'cause I had a feeling that since it was a separate listing in the app catalog that it wouldn't carry over. Especially after hearing about the guy and his problems with Need For Speed.

Hopefully it all goes well with regards to activation, I had a hell of a time convincing the g/f that it was safe to buy a phone on eBay so I'd hate to suffer the dreaded "Told you so!". :-P
    I'm sure you will be fine. I bought MANY phones on ebay over the years, including all of my Treo phones. I had one problem with buying phones over the years and it had nothing to do with the MEID. I am hoping that the transfer of things like patches and apps goes relatively smooth.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G

Please do let us know how the purchase and switch went. I am considering doing the same thing and buying a Pre Plus (Verizon) from ebay but have been a little nervous about it. I'd like a little insight with the buying and activation before I take the plunge.
  10.    #10  
    Got it in the mail today. Phone was in excellent condition without a single scratch or scuff, and it activated just fine on Sprint.com.

Slight hiccup when I first switched over my Palm Profile; I signed in and it started to download my backed up files, but the progress bar refused to... well... progress. So I restarted the phone and then it worked fine. All of my apps carried over perfectly, no casualties.

I just finished loading up all of my music/pictures and installing PreWare and UberKernal/Govnah again. Had a slight scare after installing PreWare through the Quick Installer, as the Pre refused to turn back on. Ended up pulling the battery and snapping it back in, turned on immediately afterward. Nice to have 1GHz at my disposal, although coming from the Pixi I wasn't complaining about the speeds to begin with.

So far I'm very happy that I upgraded, the larger more vibrant screen makes such a huge difference. The only thing that I can say that I honestly miss from the Pixi is the keyboard. Whoever designed the Pre's flat mushy keys needs to be slapped.

Very glad with my purchase and I encourage others to take the plunge!

EDIT: Uppon further experimentation I'd like to add that whoever designed the USB door should be added to the slapping list as well. Is there any way to get this thing flush?
    Last edited by UltraMav; 09/20/2010 at 08:52 PM.
    EDIT: Uppon further experimentation I'd like to add that whoever designed the USB door should be added to the slapping list as well. Is there any way to get this thing flush?
    Don't worry, it'll probably just fall off sooner or later.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I just switched to pixi and love it... You really like the pre more now?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I just switched to pixi and love it... You really like the pre more now?
    Yes definitely. The large, vibrant screen and the WiFi really make it loads better for me. I like the hefty feel of the device as well, which is ironic since it's so much more fragile than the paper-thin Pixi.

It just feels like a more solid, substantial device and the pros far outweigh the cons IMO.

(Now ask me again in a few months and see if the hardware problems so common around here start plaguing me as well, I just might change my tune.)
    My friend is sending me his Pre since he got another one, so should I have any problems with the ESN or am I screwed?
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
  15.    #15  
    I don't think so as long as his account was in good standing.
    I'm pretty sure his account was in good standing. Thank you for allaying one of my fears, now just to wait for my package.
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
  17.    #17  
    Glad I could help. Let me know how the switch goes for you.
    I really hope you kept the MSN number when you were activating your Pre....That number is like gold and it's such a pain to get from customer service. They told me I could get it only if I paid the early termination fee.
    I have a question for you guys. I am getting a pre sent to me to replace my bad pixi, so the activation is not an issue. My question is, when you moved your profile over, did you lose any "paid" apps? I was wondering how the apps work in regards to the phone VS the OS. I have a few apps I paid for on my pixi like Tweed and Angry Birds that I would prefer not to have to pay for again. Will it just download the Pre versions of these apps?
    You'll be paying again, i can tell you that from experience. I had to pay for Angry Birds twice, which I wasn't happy with, but i still think it was worth it. But, if the version for pre and pixi are the exact same, then you wont have to pay again.

Update: After having my Pre for 2 weeks, I love it to death, but i dropped it and the mic blew out. Luckily i got it fixed for free. Be careful with your new pre!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast