1.    #1  
    Hello All,
    I'll be ordering my Pre + from Verizon soon. How many of you are using your Pre without all of the patches, overclocks & tweaks? It seems from my 700p experience that the problems arise when the tinkering begins. What are your thoughts?
    Dave
    use preware to tinker, and you should have no problems.... If ya mess it up, take it to the doctor, and it is like new... So simple a caveman could do it..

welcome, and enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonDave View Post
    Hello All,
    I'll be ordering my Pre + from Verizon soon. How many of you are using your Pre without all of the patches, overclocks & tweaks? It seems from my 700p experience that the problems arise when the tinkering begins. What are your thoughts?
    Dave
    Really, as long as you read up on things, and follow directions, you shouldn't have any problems. And if you do, just doctor your phone and you're back to as if you just had it turned on at the store.
    If you know what your doing, or at least aren't blindly doing things, you rarely have any additional problems than what you'd have with a stock device.

Like Jack said, Preware makes everything pretty safe, the only things you have to be careful with are Themes and Overclocking.
    You're thinking HackMaster on Palm OS. They're flaky because the implementation of Palm OS's notifications aren't implemented properly, most problems arise from alarms.

webOS is Linux based and is more robust.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    You will be sorely disappointed with the device if you don't patch and overclock it. The difference between stock speed and UberKernel 1G speed is pronounced. And the patches are necessary to provide functionality that was glaringly omitted out of the box. One part of me says these traits should make a phone unforgivably unacceptable...but then the geeky side of me says I love tweaking and making the phone my own while still retaining the core goodness of webOS.

I use only Preware to patch my phone and suggest you do the same...it's just so freakin' easy to do and virtually anything you do is completely reversible.
    Hi,
    I used my Pre for about 5 months stock, what a mistake...lol. I should have started using Preware much sooner, and I've had zero issues from any of the patches.
    Hmmm?.....It's a Palm Pre, here, let me show you something cool...;-)
    the allure of preware will eventually seduce you.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I will offer this as the only bit of trouble I've had when patching--when you run across patches that require other stuff (Linux apps, etc.) to operate and Preware offers to install it all at once, politely ignore that and install the stuff one item at a time. Every time I've tried to install multiple items related to a patch, and the patch itself, in one go, the installation fails. Simply installing the items one at a time is a pretty painless workaround.
    Hello All,
    Dave
    "Tinkering" was massively different on the 700P than it is on the Pre. Get WebOS Quick Install and/or Preware, and tinker away. While you're at it, go ahead and get WebOS Doctor, just in case you tinker too much. Even recovering from THAT problem is vastly improved on the Pre.
    Pre Plus on Sprint, running SR 71 at 1.2GHz, animated dialer background, and a ton of patches. I can't imagine my phone any different now. Stock pre, to be fair, is pretty bad comparatively.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    just to be clear, webos doctor has the be on your pc for quickinstall to work. And unless you are a linux cli type, quickinstall is the only way to get preware on to your phone.

how are you planning to sync contacts. Coming from a treo you may have expectations to discuss.

@hparsons and I have a friendly difference of opinion on this. Depending on which direction you go, we can point you to a thread with helpful info. Are you planning to sync with the cloud or with your PC?
  13.    #13  
    I'm not sure how I'll sync. I'm leaning towards the cloud as long as I know that contacts won't be butchered/lost in the transformation from Palm Desktop to Google. You all have convinced me to try PreWare & the Dr.
    Dave
    The Pre is a great phone for sure, but remember, Verizon is the WORST vendor. They have worked very hard to remove functionality from the phone that exists on Sprint and AT&T.

for example read:

http://www.precentral.net/verizon-wi...at-gps-issue-0

Many applications use GPS functionality, and they won't work properly on Verizon. Note that Verizon admits the problem but says they only plan to make it worse if they can!
    ps, my gps somehow is working much better after 1.4.5 and foursquare can actually figure out where I am.
    I'm not sure how I'll sync. I'm leaning towards the cloud as long as I know that contacts won't be butchered/lost in the transformation from Palm Desktop to Google. You all have convinced me to try PreWare & the Dr.
    Dave
    that will work for you. I don't like using google,but it should work fine for you. It I would suggest that you get the free 7 day trial of companionlink and sync from your pre to outlook. From outlook you can use google tools to sync with their cloud. @hparsons and others can give you lots of tips on that, and links to threads on that topic.
    ps, another reason why I like sticking with outlook is to use categories, which the pre doesn't support. Be sure you read up on what's different so you don't have any surprises...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the allure of preware will eventually seduce you.
    +1

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Talking about tools.. I've been pretty happy with gSyncit. Fairly painless to synchronize not just outlook Calenders but Contacts, Notes and Tasks into Google for a single reasonable software licence fee. From there, alot of mobile programs are then set up to connect w/ google as a persistent data source.
    Once you get used to patches, you'll never want to go back.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)