Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I wanted to know if anyone can shed some light on fixing this issue. Quite frequently when I am on a phone call and try to send a text or even reply to a text message it doesnt go through. I get a triangle w/ the exclamation point and an error saying the message was unable to be sent. I'm pretty sure the pre is capable of utilizing both data and phone at the same time (outside of the internet) so what gives? If anyone knows a solution to this or even why this is happening so frequently it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I am on the sprint network if that matters... I thinkATT can do internet and phone simultaneously so thought that i might list my carrier info.
    I didn't think text messages were data related. I know I've gotten email notifications while on the wifi at work while on a call. I've never gotten email / text messages while on a call when not on wifi. I don't think what you're asking is possible.
    I am on Sprint, so NO data, but texts do not care about data, if you are not sending an image. I send texts ALL THE TIME while on the phone with people. Works just great for me!
    It must be your phone because I can text while on the phone all the time & I'm on sprint also. Text messages is not part of data.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I just did it a few minutes ago. No problems. Also, a Sprint customer.
    I haven't tested it yet but I know it works when on evdo. Text messages come through 1x. Does this happen when you are on 1x
    Text messages are not considered data and can work while you are on the phone. Unfortunately, whether it works or not is dependent on how strong your signal is. Sometimes it works perfectly, othertimes it does not.

Also, if you are roaming, how your connection works is dependent on the agreements between carriers. Case in point: Sprint's agreement with Verizon caused my texts to come through late, and NOT work while I was roaming and texting while on the phone.

try to do text while in different areas. I'll bet some places will work.

nnb
    No problems with texting while on phone call. Verizon Pre Plus. In fact, never had any problems with texting while on phone calls on my previous Treos/Centros with Verizon.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Usually I can do both but i've noticed lately that when im on a call I still get full bars but no EV icon and not even a 1x icon for that matter. Its usually no icon and just full bars. Even in areas where I normally get a good signal and a full EV connection. So i was wondering if it was an issue with my phone that I had to take in for a technician to look over? It has been happening more frequently thats all.. thanks for the replies!
    On a CDMA device, the 3G / EV / 1X icons will always go away when you are on a call, because the data connection is turned off while you are on a call. It does not come back until after you hang up and something requests a data connection. SMS does not use a data connection, only MMS does.
    No problems here with Sprint. You CAN text as long as it doesn't contain an attachment such as a pic or video.

If you're on AT&T, then you can text AND send pics/get on the internet, etc. AT&T is a GSM network which allows simultaneous use of voice and data.

CDMA networks in their current configurations such as Sprint's and Verizon's do not allow such use.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    On a CDMA device, the 3G / EV / 1X icons will always go away when you are on a call, because the data connection is turned off while you are on a call. It does not come back until after you hang up and something requests a data connection. SMS does not use a data connection, only MMS does.
    This is a key point here. If you are sending a regular, run of the mil SMS text, it should work.

If you are trying to send an image/sound/video/email address/etc MMS text, then it will fail while on a call.

This is for CDMA networks. GSM doesn't have this restriction UNLESS it can't get a 3G connection and falls back to older connection. Someone correct my understanding, this would happen with GSM when data must use EDGE or GRPS? Or is it only when data is using GPRS?
    That happens to me, ONLY with certain people i'm trying to text.

I can receive text while on the phone, and sometimes I can respond..

I noticed that it only happens with certain people.

ex. If i'm on the phone with someone on another network, I can text fine to anyone.

If i'm on the phone with someone who is on the Sprint network, then its works sometimes.
    1- If I'm on the phone with my sister and we have a family plan, then I CANNOT send text out to ANYONE, (but i can rec text and emails)
    2- If i'm on the phone with my b/f and he is on the sprint network, I can send text out, but NOT to anyone on my family plan.