Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm thinking of buying a new car and I'm not sure if I should spend the $2000+ for the navigation system or just put the Touchstone and use the Pre's navigation. I have the TS in my car now and love it. I know that nav in a car also monitors a lot of the cars diagnostics, that's why I created this thread.

Any suggestions.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Let the phone do what it does and get the navigation system to do what it does. Phone doesnt seem too reliable as a GPS choice to me. Unless if im walking somewhere, i dont even bother using my Pre. I use my Uniden Navigator and call it a day.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Let the phone do what it does and get the navigation system to do what it does. Phone doesnt seem too reliable as a GPS choice to me. Unless if im walking somewhere, i dont even bother using my Pre. I use my Uniden Navigator and call it a day.
    I haven't had any problems with my Pre GPS at all. In fact I rely on it for everything GPS related. I do understand where you're coming from though.
    I might not evem spend $2000 on the entire car.
    I'd rather drop a couple hundred clams and get a full-featured, dedicated GPS unit. If something better comes along, replace it with a later model. The way I see it, you can get up to 10 upgrades for the price you pay for the integrated gps unit.

Whatever electronics they put in cars right now, it is a guarantee that it will be outdated within 2 years. Depending how long you intend to hold onto your car, the built in GPS will be an antique by 4-5 yrs. And you are stuck with it.

When I bought my current car 8 yrs ago, there was an option to have a Motorola flip phone that is bluetooth integrated with the car entertainment system and controlled by steering column buttons. It was a $750 option, if memory serves. Despite the fact that the phone is automatically integrated into your car electronics when you are in it, can you imagine carrying around a flip phone today?
    Last edited by luau joe; 09/17/2010 at 07:58 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I might not evem spend $2000 on the entire car.
    Hence your username!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    I'd rather drop a couple hundred clams and get a full-featured, dedicated GPS unit. If something better comes along, replace it with a later model. The way I see it, you can get up to 10 upgrades for the price you pay for the integrated gps unit.

Whatever electronics they put in cars right now, it is a guarantee that it will be outdated within 2 years. Depending how long you intend to hold onto your car, the built in GPS will be an antique by 4-5 yrs. And you are stuck with it.
    Doesn't the Navigation in the Sprint devices get updated? It's coming directly from Sprint. That's what I thought anyway.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    +1 on Joe's comment.

I would go one step better, I would find a used vehicle thats 2 to 4 years old, great shape, without GPS, then buy the latest and greatest standalone GPS. Save yourself $1800 on the GPS and the 30 to 40% hit your new care value will take when you drive it off the show room floor.

Of course, this does not get you diagnostics, but how muc of that do you really need in real time, provided you are servicing your car properly and the recommended schedule.

Just sayin.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    Doesn't the Navigation in the Sprint devices get updated? It's coming directly from Sprint. That's what I thought anyway.
    Go for the dedicated GPS (Get a Garmin or something for $300...not worth the $2000 to get one built in). A phone based navigation system is great and all...until you're out in the middle of nowhere, have no idea where you are and can't get a data singal.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Most if not all dedicated built in nav system's maps etc can be upgrade down the road...

But I would rather have a nice flush install with a 6"+ screen and the integration into the car's audio and etc.. than using my phone jacked into the audio with plugs/wire fm transmitter etc...
    I DO agree with the comments on getting a good stand alone unit versus the integrated however I DON'T agree with the Sprint Nav comments. I travel for work several times a year and have used Sprint Nav in several new states and many new cities w/o 1 single issue.

If you are concerned with a data signal cause you will *somehow* be out of range of BOTH Sprint & Verizon, then there is NavIT GPS available which has on device maps.
    Navit is great for situations where you have zero data connection and are in the middle of no where, I keep it as a backup if for some reason Sprint nav doesn't work.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derango View Post
    Go for the dedicated GPS (Get a Garmin or something for $300...not worth the $2000 to get one built in). A phone based navigation system is great and all...until you're out in the middle of nowhere, have no idea where you are and can't get a data singal.
    Good point! I forgot what happens when there isn't a signal!
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    built in nav is sleek. No wires or lighter plugs. No crap on your dsh board. So if your going for neat and slick go with the factory nav. If your going for affordability go with the phone or a dedicated gps unit. In my mind, an expensive luxury car would warrant the factory nav - as a percentage of overall cost it's not really a big deal. OTOH, if it's a ford focus that cost about 18,000, 2000 is a huge jump. My 2 cents.
    I'm thinking of buying a new car and I'm not sure if I should spend the $2000+ for the navigation system or just put the Touchstone and use the Pre's navigation. I have the TS in my car now and love it. I know that nav in a car also monitors a lot of the cars diagnostics, that's why I created this thread.

Any suggestions.
    If you're buying the car on a 60 month term, just get the GPS in-car unit...amortized over those 60 months, it's 'peanuts'. Im sure it does more than just GPS...prob an integrated control system as well and maybe a back-up camera.

If it's a short term lease, forget it. get a stand-alone or use the Pre (assuming its a Sprint Pre, free from Vzw GPS shenanigans)
    Where do i get the maps for Navit?...Because mine doesnt show anything..

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by xalky View Post
    built in nav is sleek. No wires or lighter plugs. No crap on your dsh board. So if your going for neat and slick go with the factory nav. If your going for affordability go with the phone or a dedicated gps unit. In my mind, an expensive luxury car would warrant the factory nav - as a percentage of overall cost it's not really a big deal. OTOH, if it's a ford focus that cost about 18,000, 2000 is a huge jump. My 2 cents.
    Well, I have an 2006 2-door LX Civic now that I just paid off with 108000 miles. I want a 2011 4-door Civic SI, and the $2000 jump is kind of significant. I also have the Touchstone mounted where you can't see the wires. It's in a really nice spot too.
    Well, I have an 2006 2-door LX Civic now that I just paid off with 108000 miles. I want a 2011 4-door Civic SI, and the $2000 jump is kind of significant. I also have the Touchstone mounted where you can't see the wires. It's in a really nice spot too.
    Civic with a built in Nav?...Whats Honda thinking?..They should have just left the Navs in the Accord.

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    It really depends on your wants/needs.

I have a 2010 Acura TSX and I coughed up for the Tech Pkg. With NAV I also received the integrated backup camera, 10 speaker ELS surround system - awesome, integrated phone book in the NAV, and some other bits and pieces. I paid less than $2K for the tech pkg and on a 30k car it's not much of a premium. But it depends on what you spend, what you need and what you like.

I like integrated NAV, integrated phonebook, BT A2DP (I can stream slacker), and a high performance audio system. None are essential but it sure makes life nice when driving.
    Dan
    Navit maps anyone?...I was looking for navit maps...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast