Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'd say go with either a standalone or built in. My experience with standalone is that my Tom Tom ($400 top of the line model) takes FOREVER to get a signal so I have to either know where I'm heading at first or make a damn good guess. My experience with Mercedes and BMW GPS' is that they're instant and REALLY accurate and in my opinion worth the 2k. It blends in with the car and it's just built in making your life that much easier.

I would skip the Palm GPS bit because the phone gets super hot when using the GPS for more than 20 minutes and add that to the Touchstone's heat and you have a major issue. Back when I used to live in NJ I was trying to use my Pre to get from Princeton to JFK airport and the battery was dying faster than my car charger could charge it and it was getting 110+ F in a matter of minutes so I had to keep turning it off and trying to wing it.

Anyway that's my experience with everything and I hope it helps you make a decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by anus1220 View Post

I would skip the Palm GPS bit because the phone gets super hot when using the GPS for more than 20 minutes and add that to the Touchstone's heat and you have a major issue
    One reason I DON'T use the TS in the car. On the Bracketron adjustable cupholder stand I have, the USB charging cable only shows about 6 inches from the arm rest inside which is it plugged in. Then it's FM trans to the radio and I'm in business.
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    I'd rather drop a couple hundred clams and get a full-featured, dedicated GPS unit. If something better comes along, replace it with a later model. The way I see it, you can get up to 10 upgrades for the price you pay for the integrated gps unit.
    +1 What he said
    Gezzz...Navit maps anyone? Lol...I don't know where to get them.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    2,000.... Really?

Uhh, NO.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I'd opt for an aftermarket head unit with builtin nav. Pioneer AVICs are great decks that are usually much more feature packed than factory stuff. You can probably find one for under a grand as well.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    I'd opt for an aftermarket head unit with builtin nav. Pioneer AVICs are great decks that are usually much more feature packed than factory stuff. You can probably find one for under a grand as well.
    I agree with dsei, get an aftermarket unit for far less dough, that you have the ability to choose.
    I just passed on the Nav unit in my new ride, @ $1700.00 I didn't consider it for more than a minute before rejecting the idea.
    I paid $1500 when I got my truck for the Navigation upgrade. Its not just the in vehicle nav useually. My whole stereo was upgraded to a bose system with sub in the back wall and stuff. The pre is great for when your in a car without nav like a rental or something but I will always buy the in vehicle nav units with my cars from now on. It really blows everything else away. It even uses sensors to keep your location when there is no gps signal. I've used the pioneer ones and they are nice also but if your buying a new car just get it stock. The aftermarket ones will require harnesses and modules to make everything work. Then you will need to bypass your factory amp or install a new one and get an install kit with ugly plastic bezels to make it look right in your car.
    Okay I will give you the best answer so far, and this comes from a car guy, electronics geek, etc.... If you are willing to pay 2g's for the integrated nav, and plan on getting long term use outta the car, then YES do it! Personally if I had 2g's up front to spend, I would be putting an AutoPC in the car, but if you are not into modifying your car and want factory integration, combined with long term use I would add the 2k to the loan.

Once again this is really a personal decision, and has NOTHING to do with anyone else on these forums. You have to decide what is right for you. As bigwood said, you have to look at what you are paying for and if it is worth it to you.... If you go aftermarket it will once again be a different decision, I love Pioneer deck personally, but if you don't use your deck like I do you may be better off sticking with factory integration.

I could go on, and if you want more input, feel free to reply to this post. Ohhh and for reference, the wife and I currently own 4 cars, not a factory deck in any of them.... various uses for all, but since we move from car to car in a given day/week/month/etc we do use our Pre's for navigation and media devices in car...... we have aux inputs, bluetooth, and some dedicated iPod interfaces depending on the car and it's setup. Once again this all comes from my insanity when it comes to cars, and electronic devices, and then being willing to help my wife adapt to whatever setup she will be using (she is not as crazy as me, she likes electronics, but just wants em to work).
    Ohhh and BTW, for all those suggesting aftermarket solutions...... They may have more features, but you can easily come outta pocket 1,000 - 2,000 not counting installation. As I said above, I am no fan of dealer options, but I do my work myself and know how to shop for items that fit my needs for the least amount possible.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    Good point! I forgot what happens when there isn't a signal!
    The GPS stores the route in it's memory. It won't download the geography without a data connection. I've ran into this several times. It no longer be in AGPS mode.

Also, I drove to Indy from NY, and my gps worked flawless.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Hence your username!
    ahaha
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

I know that nav in a car also monitors a lot of the cars diagnostics, that's why I created this thread.

Any suggestions.
    Doesn't seem like anyone's responded to this aspect of your post. So I'm going to.

First, a little back story:

I drive a 2004 Infiniti G35 with nav that I purchased 6 months ago. I got it for a pretty reasonable price and I learned the night it physically passed into my hands that at the time we had agreed on a price, the guys who sold it to me didn't know it had nav. (LOL!) It pops up outta the dash. I would have paid the same price for the car without nav, but I would have not been too keen on paying more for the car WITH nav. So anyway... I dunno what built-in nav systems are like these days, but mine is DVD ROM. The DVD drive takes up what would be a secondary glove box above. Anyway... the place I currently work (A large, populated, new-ISH outdoor mall) is not on the map. I'd have to shell out >$100 for a new DVD. Have the money, but can't maybe that's so because I can't justify spending >$100 on a map DVD. Haha! The UI of the NAV system is terrible. I live in the city I was born in and don't travel for work, so generally I know my way around. I often use the nav system to give me a continual heads-up of upcoming streets in areas I'm not too familiar with, but if I ever had to input an address I'd use my Pre or drive around in circles until I run out of gas before I'd waste my time (what seems like hours!) inputting an address into my built-in nav system. So (unless in-built nav systems have changed greatly in the past 6 years [which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest]) as far as functionality (especially funtionality:dollars spent) it sounds like stand-alone nav is the way to go.

Getting closer to the point:

The aspects of the car that my nav system monitors are:

• Real-time MPG - Neato!
    • MPG over time - There's an app for that! (That I use despite its built-in presence.
    • Trip duration - I also have a clock.
    • Miles 'til empty - Ran outta gas once when I was 16.
    • Configurable miles traveled between oil changes with alerts - did just fine for 11 years with those mostly-transparent stickers in the corner of my windshield.

Long story short: ALL of these things are UNNECESSARY. Again... technology has probably leaped forward, but to what extent really?

I think what it boils down to is

• How much disposable income you have
    • How much you care about what passengers think of you

I suggest buying a stand-alone, feeding some homeless people and, if necessary, telling your passengers that rather spending 2G's on some soon-to-be-obsolete unnecessary frills that you bought a more cost effective and more efficient navigation device and fed some homeless people .
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Are you serious? Did someone download the entire internet again?
    Huh? lol

I hope the OP can tell us what car he's actually looking to buy. If it's a Benz or BMW, then yes you can control a WHOLE lot with the on-board computer. You can do pretty much everything short of un-governing it.

Plus I see that nobody has mentioned that it raises the resale value. You're paying 2k now for it but when it comes time to sell in 5ish years (assuming that's when you'll trade up) the built in nav will probably get you 3-500 more than if you were to sell without.

Anyway I hope you can tell us what car you're in the market for. I don't want to turn this into a thread about the car but I can tell you from my personal experience that using a Pre with the touchstone in the car is a much less savory experience than a standalone unit or the built in one. One feature I always go for in cars is the built in nav.
    Quote Originally Posted by anus1220 View Post
    I hope the OP can tell us what car he's actually looking to buy. If it's a Benz or BMW, then yes you can control a WHOLE lot with the on-board computer. You can do pretty much everything short of un-governing it.

Plus I see that nobody has mentioned that it raises the resale value. You're paying 2k now for it but when it comes time to sell in 5ish years (assuming that's when you'll trade up) the built in nav will probably get you 3-500 more than if you were to sell without.

Anyway I hope you can tell us what car you're in the market for. I don't want to turn this into a thread about the car but I can tell you from my personal experience that using a Pre with the touchstone in the car is a much less savory experience than a standalone unit or the built in one. One feature I always go for in cars is the built in nav.
    I believe he said its a 2010 civic..

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Are you serious? Did someone download the entire internet again?
    Thanks GuyFromNam!
    I already have Navit, but i never had the maps. i never bothered looking for it either lol.

on my brothers civic he also skipped the nav but really wanted it. Usually you get most of your money back with nav espically in civics. They hold their value very well and if you have built in nav there will be a more of a wow factor when selling the car at 100k. Yours will not be just like every other civic buyer will say.. wow it has nav!

That being said i am a fan of built in nav's. BUT if you can find a nice GPS mount that slips into an AC/Heat vent then you are golden too as it's a perfect location on the honda. The bmw nav i have is perfect and VERY accurate.. but the maps it shows are plain and kinda "ugly" compared to lets say a garmin.
    Hence your username!
    true, although it would probably be closer to 'wontaffordit' or 'dontbewasteful'...

I drive decent cars, used, reasonable. When I type that, I sound just like my dad... Argh
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Doesn't seem like anyone's responded to this aspect of your post. So I'm going to.

First, a little back story:

I drive a 2004 Infiniti G35 with nav that I purchased 6 months ago. I got it for a pretty reasonable price and I learned the night it physically passed into my hands that at the time we had agreed on a price, the guys who sold it to me didn't know it had nav. (LOL!) It pops up outta the dash. I would have paid the same price for the car without nav, but I would have not been too keen on paying more for the car WITH nav. So anyway... I dunno what built-in nav systems are like these days, but mine is DVD ROM. The DVD drive takes up what would be a secondary glove box above. Anyway... the place I currently work (A large, populated, new-ISH outdoor mall) is not on the map. I'd have to shell out >$100 for a new DVD. Have the money, but can't maybe that's so because I can't justify spending >$100 on a map DVD. Haha! The UI of the NAV system is terrible. I live in the city I was born in and don't travel for work, so generally I know my way around. I often use the nav system to give me a continual heads-up of upcoming streets in areas I'm not too familiar with, but if I ever had to input an address I'd use my Pre or drive around in circles until I run out of gas before I'd waste my time (what seems like hours!) inputting an address into my built-in nav system. So (unless in-built nav systems have changed greatly in the past 6 years [which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest]) as far as functionality (especially funtionality:dollars spent) it sounds like stand-alone nav is the way to go.

Getting closer to the point:

The aspects of the car that my nav system monitors are:

• Real-time MPG - Neato!
    • MPG over time - There's an app for that! (That I use despite its built-in presence.
    • Trip duration - I also have a clock.
    • Miles 'til empty - Ran outta gas once when I was 16.
    • Configurable miles traveled between oil changes with alerts - did just fine for 11 years with those mostly-transparent stickers in the corner of my windshield.

Long story short: ALL of these things are UNNECESSARY. Again... technology has probably leaped forward, but to what extent really?

I think what it boils down to is

• How much disposable income you have
    • How much you care about what passengers think of you

I suggest buying a stand-alone, feeding some homeless people and, if necessary, telling your passengers that rather spending 2G's on some soon-to-be-obsolete unnecessary frills that you bought a more cost effective and more efficient navigation device and fed some homeless people .
    Infinity is well known for having sucky Nav, all vehicle manufacturers use different types, and some are better than others. Acura and BMW are the best... Mercedes and Nissan are the worst. (IMHO) Also Nav has grown leaps and bounds in the last 6 years making your review all but moot.

A integrated naigation system will trash the He** out of any standalone or phone based GPS system in MANY ways including but not limited to - UI, accuracy, vehicle integration, sensors, batteries, information, voice comands, etc.

Now the main question should have been what type of vehicle is this in? A TL or RL? Absolutely get the integrated gps, you wont be sorry. A Civic? I'd probably say you're ok to pass on that one. A standalone should be on par with Honda's bottom class gps.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast