1.    #1  
    As the subject title says, I would like to view a single text message (within a conversation) with the time/date stamp on the message. Or, failing that, to view time stamps within a conversation.

Unfortunately, it's for a legal issue.
    yes you can do that on your pre by installing a patch called "timestamps clean or timestamps fancy". Every text,im on the messaging app will have a date and time to it....cant post a pic cause am writing this on the mobile site from my pre. Remember to do this you must put ur phone in developer mode and install webosqi on your pc and preware on ur phone. Once you got preware you can install patches like crazy.....
  3.    #3  
    Thanks! I had Preware on my first Pre (it was replaced in May because the screen spiderwebbed) but I never got around to doing it on this one.

Just to be clear, though, as the first time I did it I had not yet really used the phone, this patch will retroactively show time/date stamps. That is to say, the data are in the phone, it just chooses not to display them?
    Not sure if it will retroact or not, only way to find out is to try it and see.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Yes it does retroactively display them.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Cool! Great info. I never paid attention when I installed it.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Not sure a text message on a device like the Pre would be legally admissable though. It is just a database and anyone with even just a little tech saavy could insert a text msg that would make it look like anything they wanted...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Not sure a text message on a device like the Pre would be legally admissable though. It is just a database and anyone with even just a little tech saavy could insert a text msg that would make it look like anything they wanted...
    I like to consider myself somewhat tech-savvy and I have no clue how to insert a 'fake text message' nor do I know how to edit one already on the phone. Of course, I generally know computers, not phones, so maybe I'm falling behind the times?

Does plundering my phone and finding out about (and installing) patches the week I got the phone (after switching over from BB) make me tech-savvy?
    @Riona, a quick search here on P|C would tell you there is a file PalmDatabase.db3 that stores these messages. Another quick search would tell you there is a plugin available for FireFox that allows you to modify the database. Copy the file off your Pre, modify it, copy it back and boom - fake text messages.

So, let me change it from "a little tech savvy" to "a little tech savvy and looking for a way to fake a text message on a Pre". ;-)

I am not saying the OP did this, just that it is possible to do it if wanted.
    Agreed. OP, you should really contact your provider and see if they can send you a record of your text messages. SMS can easily be faked on our phones...
    I would think (just generally speaking) if you have the text message and it's timestamped and a copy of your bill showing the text message was sent from the phone number you are saying it's from and the time is the same it would be proof it's a legit text message. Just my opinion.
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    Quote Originally Posted by joliejolie0930 View Post
    I would think (just generally speaking) if you have the text message and it's timestamped and a copy of your bill showing the text message was sent from the phone number you are saying it's from and the time is the same it would be proof it's a legit text message. Just my opinion.
    Even if the timestamp matched up with a copy of your bill, you can still easily change what the text message says. Carriers normally keep a record of your texts for situations like this. You may need a subpoena though...
    @Riona, a quick search here on P|C would tell you there is a file PalmDatabase.db3 that stores these messages. Another quick search would tell you there is a plugin available for FireFox that allows you to modify the database. Copy the file off your Pre, modify it, copy it back and boom - fake text messages.
    A quick search, really? Using what search terms?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
    As the subject title says, I would like to view a single text message (within a conversation) with the time/date stamp on the message. Or, failing that, to view time stamps within a conversation.

Unfortunately, it's for a legal issue.
    First you need to install preware back on your device. Remember to turn developer mode on: (i.e. Type> webos20090606. Go to patches and either look for the patch or type it in. (Time stamp clean or Time stamp fancy.) the choice is yours. There isn't anything else to worry about. >:-)

> cheers <
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    this might be a little of topic, but if you can insert a fake text message onto your pre by editing the file with firefox, would that also work for restoring texts afterr a doctor? Could you theoretically restore all of your old texts in the same way you would add a fake texts. Are there any risks with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fej180 View Post
    this might be a little of topic, but if you can insert a fake text message onto your pre by editing the file with firefox, would that also work for restoring texts afterr a doctor? Could you theoretically restore all of your old texts in the same way you would add a fake texts. Are there any risks with this?
    Theoretically yes you can. Major problem though, there is a high probability that you screw up your synergy by doing this. Restoring text messages has been attempted and not all went well. See the Pre backup utility thread to for more info.

Pip
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Agreed. OP, you should really contact your provider and see if they can send you a record of your text messages. SMS can easily be faked on our phones...
    Interesting. I had no idea. I was planning to just do what the post quoted below says to do: cross-reference the texts with lines in my statement establishing the text sent at that time.

Does Sprint keep records of these things? The texts date from mid-July, and Labor Day weekend.

Something directly from Sprint would be preferable to my own screenshots, I would think.

At any rate, I guess I'm going to be calling Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by joliejolie0930 View Post
  18.    #18  
    Update. Spoke to Corporate Security at Sprint, and they said that they don't store the contents of the messages, only the phone number and time/date. The sender has AT&T, so I may need to figure out how to subpoena their records.

I know the messages are real - it never occurred to me that someone could fake them, but I suppose in this age anything's possible - and I expect the defendant to either stipulate to that or show via facial expression that knowledge when presented with screenshots of the messages. But if not, thanks for helping me be prepared everyone!