Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I just did it!..<gulp/>

My new Verizon Palm Pre+ is coming by Fed Ex. By the weekend, I might just be retiring the ancient warhorse (Centro) to the plastic bin grave, next to the Vizor, Kyocera, and the old Treo 650.

I know this phone is absolutely dated, and it lacks some expected functionality & power, but frack, certainly no less so than this old one and just the idea of getting real multi-tasking, a free mobile hot spot (I keep an iTouch in the other pocket) and, frankly, fair pricing (for both the phone and the accessories) takes the sting out of losing raw bragging rights among tech heads and fellow cubicle drones (one with an ATT iPhone4, the other, a Sprint Epic). Plus you gotta love the opportunity for cheap sexual innuendos (ďIt only cost me a 69ÖĒ).

Just hoping and praying that the later production runs of these phones wonít be plagued by all the hardware demons. I got a year contract, so I figure Iím not too locked into Big Red and by this same time next year, I will be nicely set up for the super H-Palms, better groomed Androids or even a Verizon iPhone, (if they would ever decide to stop teasing us).

Sure I would love stronger hardware (not that I have any right to say anything yet, I havenít even owned the phone), but sometimes, just sometimes, elegant tech can be as good as or better than newer, powerful tech (cases in point: old Macs, classic VWs and my old ReplayTV) and I am sort of banking on that here.

Sadly though, itís late Iím thinking about this way too much and remorse is starting to creep in. Iím reading too many negative posts on here. Did I just make a mistake? With apologies to Morgan Spurlock: I've now got 30 days to evaluate and decide.

-DD

PS: Hi everyone.. and part of the reason I did decide to go Pre was seeing the strong, active community on this site. I know I am late to the party, but please don't head off quite yet..
    Hi DD and Welcome to the P|C forums!

Congrats on taking the leap! I'm a former Treo user and had some trepidation making the move with hearing the hardware issues, but I've never looked back. I've tried other OS's and webOS is hands-down the best on the market.

To make sure you get the best out of your phone, I would be sure one of the first things I did was to install Preware and then install the Uberkernal and Govnah to get your device running at a speed that makes it smooooooth. When you get the device, check in here and we can answer any questions you have. And don't worry.. the recent devices are built much more solidly than the orignal devices. You'll love it!!

Congrats and again - Welcome to P|C and your new addiction!
    Welcome and yes install PreWare -
    Simple Tip Calc http://bit.ly/cdcJIu Review http://bit.ly/a9edpu & World Cup Flags http://bit.ly/daOoeJ
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I too moved from a Centro, a very nice phone.

The only thing I can't get over not having is the phone recorder. I want that badly.

The one thing I had to get use to most, was moving from a stylus screen to a finger screen, and not being able to scroll the screen.

Takes some getting use to, but now that I have, don't miss the Centro way at all.

PreWare is a must. load webOSQI on your computer, use it to install PreWare, then PUT AWAY WEBOSQI.

Do everything else with PreWare, it takes care of dependencies, automatically (apps that require other apps).

The next 2 items you should install are Govnah and Uberkernel. Thats the overclocking apps. Go right to the 1GHz overclock, its completely safe.

Golden rule: Always use PreWare to remove homebrew apps, don't use the tap then delete, like you do with app catalog apps.

Then do whatever you want to go on a very zippy Pre.

Have fun!
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Welcome to pre|central and to webOS!

Don’t pay too much attention to all of the negative threads here; this is a very active community with some passionate users who will jump at any topic just to start a rant. In most surveys the number of extremely satisfied users far outweighs the ones with problems. We also get a good share of people who have left webOS only to return a few weeks or months later. To me the weakest thing about my Palm Pre Plus is Verizon but I have been with them a long time and gotten use to it.

My Pre Plus hardware is very exceptional with none of the problems reported by some on this board. I do have a screen protector and find it to keep my phone on good shape. I also have touchstones at home, in my cars and at the office so I don’t have to worry about battery life. Do load preware and patch the heck out of your new Pre Plus; it makes it seem like a new device with every patch.

Once again, welcome DD and good luck with your new phone.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Welcome and enjoy! Follow Newman's Preware/OC advice, come back here when you need help and everything will be rainbows and unicorns.

<<Thread Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by DoobieDoo View Post
    Ok, I just did it!..<gulp/>

My new Verizon Palm Pre+ is coming by Fed Ex. By the weekend, I might just be retiring the ancient warhorse (Centro) to the plastic bin grave, next to the Vizor, Kyocera, and the old Treo 650.

I know this phone is absolutely dated, and it lacks some expected functionality & power, but frack, certainly no less so than this old one and just the idea of getting real multi-tasking, a free mobile hot spot (I keep an iTouch in the other pocket) and, frankly, fair pricing (for both the phone and the accessories) takes the sting out of losing raw bragging rights among tech heads and fellow cubicle drones (one with an ATT iPhone4, the other, a Sprint Epic). Plus you gotta love the opportunity for cheap sexual innuendos (“It only cost me a 69…”).

Just hoping and praying that the later production runs of these phones won’t be plagued by all the hardware demons. I got a year contract, so I figure I’m not too locked into Big Red and by this same time next year, I will be nicely set up for the super H-Palms, better groomed Androids or even a Verizon iPhone, (if they would ever decide to stop teasing us).

Sure I would love stronger hardware (not that I have any right to say anything yet, I haven’t even owned the phone), but sometimes, just sometimes, elegant tech can be as good as or better than newer, powerful tech (cases in point: old Macs, classic VWs and my old ReplayTV) and I am sort of banking on that here.

Sadly though, it’s late I’m thinking about this way too much and remorse is starting to creep in. I’m reading too many negative posts on here. Did I just make a mistake? With apologies to Morgan Spurlock: I've now got 30 days to evaluate and decide.

-DD

PS: Hi everyone.. and part of the reason I did decide to go Pre was seeing the strong, active community on this site. I know I am late to the party, but please don't head off quite yet..
    DD, I am doing the exact same thing today! Dont mean to threadjack at all. Signing a 1 yr, so im pretty stoaked. Really only reason im going with the pre + is because 1) Free hotspot, gets rid of the 5gb mobile broadband and 2) this great community with amazing help. So thank you guys in advance.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/17/2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Post approved
    Welcome to you both! The Pre is an awesome device,especially after you kick the processor up to 1 Ghz and customize it will patches,etc. from either Preware or WebOS Quick Install. Plus,the members here are very helpful (for the most part and the level of technical expertise is amazing!

Install WebOS Quick Install and Preware:

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...s-section.html

Overclock to 1 Ghz with UberKernel and Govnah.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...berkernel.html
    Welcome to the community i switched from Centro to Pre my self...and luv it =)
    Welcome to P|C, personely I would use it stock for a couple of days and get familiar with the phone and how nice it actually is. Then I would start modifying with Govnah & Uberkernel and patch it to suit your needs ( Advanced Config. For App Launcher is amazing )Then you will really appreciate the work of the Developers here.
    Hmmm?.....It's a Palm Pre, here, let me show you something cool...;-)
    I had Itouch when I got my Pre Plus. I was thinking about using Itouch for the apps and pre Plus for everything else. Soon I wasn't bring my Itouch, it's not because Pre can cover everything, it's because using MHS on Pre Plus for itouch without any charging availability, my phone battery doesn't last long time. In fact, without charging my phone and I barely using the phone, it won't last all day. However, it's perfect for MHS for my laptop. I put my pre on usb and it's actually faster than Starbucks free wifi connection I think.

Anyway, goodluck.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Fret not about the hardware. Though I've bashed it a bit since getting the phone on August 10th, I've come to love the design and execution of the device. While I still feel the materials used could have been of a higher grade, they are assembled with precision and feel robust...certainly robust enough given the $29.99 price I paid for the phone.
    OMG def overclock the **** outa the pre... makes it sooo much faster. i had it for almost a year b4 i did it to mine ( a sprint pre) and was kinda upset with how sluggish it could get sometimes. then i dropped the uberkernel in that sucker and BAM! this things flys now. it actually gets less hot now than it did b4 the overclock... now thats some good programin for yuh! well have fun with ur shinny newness (isnt it pretty outta the box?!) and keep coming back to P/C for and questions u have cuz im sure 90% of the people here can answer any question u got
    Welcome to PreCentral! Glad to have more Pre folks around, thought I'm sorry to see that you're on Verizon which means to 3rd Party GPS apps. Since Verizon boggled it up.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    One thing I strongly advice, make sure your keyboard doesnt have missed letters, after 30 days you only get a refurb for that problem and not a new device.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  17.    #17  
    !!WOW!! Thank you for the fantastic welcome. I don't know where to start to reply.
    But keep it coming, plz (still so newbish, I practically squeek).

Some specific responses..

jodod=> I agree with you about voice recording. Figured that iTouch would keep me covered in that regard. I have the headset w/ mic. Use Skype off it all the time.

ryley=> Rainbows and Unicorns, huh? Now, where exactly do I find that app, again?

Bosgara=>You and I are in the same boat being new recruits. Hope to compare notes with you in a few weeks.

Passlogix=>Yeah, I've read about the battery issues. I figured with all the money I saved, I can throw spare batteries and extra chargers at it (3 sets - home/work/car). In fact, I'm already shopping around for a gadet bag and thinking I will need to keep 2-4 spares on hand at any given time (thinking maybe a battery bandero?).

Chance=>I'm thining about an Otterbox ASAP. Had one on my centro and it turned it into an unstoppable Tank; Litteraly dropped it from a moving car and not a scratch on it.

Stroven=> I've been following the GPS nerf threads. It's one of those very negative things I referred too. I will be installing the patch/fix and hope it will have some success. But in the end, I chalked it up to being minor, since I don't actually use GPS functionality now and I am not much of a road warrior.

kkhanmd=> You bring up a good point, about putting this thing thru it's paces.. TY!
    I'm just curious if there are any other kinds of things I can do to flesh out potential hardware issues up front. (I'm thinking like when they take a submarine out for that first deep certification dive in those bad WWII films.. I wanna see where the leaks spring up).

& Et all: Thank you for replying. With all due respect, will probably be hitting the patching real fast. I think that's going to be half the fun with this thing. Probably #1 thing on my to do list is the over clock.
    Welcome to Precentral! My advice: take your time to learn webOS FIRST. No need to do mods right away. What you want is a baseline of the capabilities of a virgin Pre+. Visit us here if you have any issues or need help in transitioning to the new platform. I've always been a minimalist and don't really like adding mods just for kicks. You alone will determine the best way to use your Pre. If you find that your basic Pre is lacking then you can start getting into Preware and faster kernels etc. If you do it, take it slow and try to understand the interdependencies of patches and apps and you won't be disappointed. I normally just apply NEEDED patches and usually one at a time to see performance issues if any.

Enjoy your Pre+!!!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Hi Doobiedoo, sounds like you are going into this thing with eyes wide open. Keep that open mind for the week following getting your phone, accept the learning curve (DAMN this sucker is different!) and you just may wind up loving this little device as much as I do...

Think my first bit of advice after you receive your phone is to charge it fully, and run through all of the initial setups, connect to WiFi - go to the last page of apps (just left-swiping on the screen to get there) and poke "Updates".. The chances are you will find WebOS 1.4.5 is available for download/install. Doing so can take up to an hour, (even with WiFi download speeds), so have your phone fully charged FIRST.

IMHO, it is a good idea to just set and play - there are video tutorials built into the device, and several "goal oriented" tutorials on palm.com that you can follow on a computer - device in-hand. The user-interface is quite alien at first, but after a few days this is the most intuitive device I've had since my old m-130..

On the battery stuff, the best advice I can give is to use the "fam period" to discharge the battery down to about 10% - then fully top it off again. (There are technical reasons for doing so that you can read elsewhere).

During that period, you can worry about how you are going to set up eMail/contacts/etc. Personally, I chose to make my Verizon Pre Plus a "google account device", connecting it exclusively to my gmail account. There are several advantages to doing so, not the least of which is being able to automatically share/update my contacts between the device and gmail. (There are several different ways to get your existing contact data off your computer and up to gMail contacts - another bridge to cross when/if you need to. HINT - there is no better spam filtering than google mail provides).

I am very, very much for installing Preware after you are comfortable with the device. The bottom line, coming from Verizon, my Pre is/was literally "hobbled" and with patience you can simply "change" it to work-around virtually any problem you run into via Preware and all of the available homebrew apps/patches. For me, that has been true in *all* cases with the exception of bluetooth voice commands. (I wound up buying a "smart" bluetooth headset that could respond to voice commands itself).

One item I can NOT agree with during the 30 day period is to install the over-clocking kernal replacement and Govnah since it is quite plain that doing so can void your guarantee. I have them running on mine, (along with 52 Apps and 30 or so other patches), finding it *very* desirable to do so - but *I* have already made the decision to keep this phone regardless and nobody is getting it until after the fight! If there were a chance I would have to take it in for a swap, or in your case to simply back out of the deal, I most certainly would not be installing anything that could give my provider a reason to deny me that "right".

"Warts and all", I love my little Palm Pre Plus - and WebOS even better than that. Looking forward to WebOS 2.0 some time on down the pike and praying that will finally open up the sophisticated mic/voice commands applications that this technology deserves.

Have to add - without Pre | Central forums - without the wonderful homebrew apps and patches, I would have wound up returning this device to Verizon myself before the 30 day trial ended. As it is, they will never get this one back.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Welcome to da Hood!

Came from a Treo and Centro too. Still have the Centro, makes a nice paperweight now. Screen looks like a postage stamp compared to the Pre+. You'll be lovin life.

I said d@mn the torpedos and started jacking my Pre right out of the box. While oldgeekster is right, the kernels will immediately void your warrantee, the developers had made Uberkernel ultra stable. (I do not believe Govnah in and of itself would void your warrantee. Though there is no real need to have it if you're not going to use it.) You may want to wait a bit before overclocking, just so you can see how amazing that is.

With TS's at home/work/car, you may not need a spare battery. Or, you could go with a Seidio 1350mAh replacement (I did). I have the original as a backup. Not used it yet. Once you get your feet wet, Mode Switcher is a phenomenal battery saving mod.

1000% agree with oldgeekster - without P|C, and the community/developers, this phone would not even be in my Top 10.

Lastly, if you're going to dive right in, just after adding Preware, add Save/Restore, and use it. Better safe than sorry.

Enjoy!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast