Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    spent some time reviewing the evo_ iphone and other smartphones. I get that webos is aleady dated and my hardware is behind. What I don't get is I still LOVE the pre form factor and touchstone. The size and convenience of both would be hard to give up. The e evo is REALLY cool but carrying it in my pocket?? Really? Same with most other devices. The pre just FITS.

I have no issues with webos. I think it has the best ui and multi tasking.

so what don't I get? Seriously?
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I'll second the pocket fit thing...I've never had a phone that can ride in my pocket as comfortably as the Pre Plus.

Plus it looks bad as it can be in all black with no chrome doo-dads to spoil the lines.

With the slider out, it's one of the most comfortable phones I've held when actually talking on the phone...last one I remember feeling this natural was my old StarTac.

I don't feel webOS is dated at all. Get hold of a current-generation BlackBerry and then you'll know what a dated smartphone OS *really* is.

Like many users, my main gripes concern the hardware, but the more I use the phone, the more I feel the hardware is just fine and perfectly up to snuff. I love the snick-snick of the slider when I open or close it. The mirror backplate on the upper half of the phone is a charmingly blingy doodad, but not one that's visible at all times. The back of the phone is pure elegance...a simple rubberized cover with the "palm" logo in the middle, apertures for the camera's lens and flash, and perforations for the speaker. And I became more enamored of the thing the other night when a game I was playing froze the phone and I had to do a battery pull. The inside of the phone is VERY tidy, and a pull-tab is provided to lift the battery out of its recess. It looks well made...of inexpensive materials, but well made.

That's why I keep my Pre Plus and webOS...well, that, and the 23 months I have remaining on my contract.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I know how you feel. I came from the Android based smartphones. I like Android however, it just never felt right to me. Also I was tweaking and doing pointless things with the phone too (like getting things done). I like the iPhone however, it is to heavily tied to iTunes for me to even consider it. I think WebOS is just feels put together better, seamless integration between everything, and multi-tasking is just better too.

Forgot to add the Touchstone charger is also another thing I love too.
    If it wasn't for touchstone and synergy, plus webos, I would've already jumped ship. My sister just got a droid x and I'm envious... guess I'll just hafta wait to see the next hardware iteration. If its not the best then I'm jumping ship.

-Gu1l7y
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    I got an evo launch week. I returned it after 12 days. The hardware was great it even fit pretty well in my pocket because its deceptively thin, but I do not like Android. Mainly because WebOS has spoiled me as to how intuitive a smartphone should operate.

But let it be known that if I was stuck using my Pre @ 500 mhz, it would definitely be in a drawer somewhere.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    But let it be known that if I was stuck using my Pre @ 500 mhz, it would definitely be in a drawer somewhere.
    +1

I thought I was something else when I was running the 800 MHz UK, but then I tried the 1 GHz version and was blown away. I'm reminded of how sluggish the phone is when I'm using it while it's charging on the Touchstone and it's running at "only" 500 MHz.

The Droid X is, in my opinion, just too big. I was in a meeting today with a cell phone junkie who always has to have the latest thing, and his Droid X was proudly displayed on the table in a protective surround-type cover. I swear, it seemed as if it was 2x the size of my Pre Plus, at least in length/width. Thickness, of course, is another story, but it again reminded me of how svelte the Palm is versus the other guys' offerings.
    I keep my palm pre because Palm hasn't released a new device yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by luigidk View Post
    so what don't I get? Seriously?
    That you need someone else to validate your feelings.

Seriously, I don't get these threads, its like everyone needs validation for keeping the Pre instead of switching. I keep my Pre because I like it and don't feel the need to switch to something else...yet. I may in the future. My wife has an EVO and loves it, and I've used it quite a bit -- it has advantages over the Pre and the Pre has advantages over it. When I find that one side tips the balance in that direction more, I may switch to something like the Epic. However, for right now, I'm happy.

Reminds me of the theme song for one of my favorite shows growing up...

Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
    What might be right for you, may not be right for some.
    A man is born, he's a man of means.
    Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans.
    But they got, Diff'rent Strokes.
    It takes, Diff'rent Strokes.
    It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
    Everybody's got a special kind of story
    Everybody finds a way to shine,
    It don't matter that you got not alot
    So what,
    They'll have theirs, and you'll have yours, and I'll have mine.
    And together we'll be fine....
    Because it takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
    Yes it does.
    It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
    1GHz is nice but not 'speedy' just acceptable. 500mhz is ridiculous. Touchstone is also a nice advanced feature that makes me stay with the Pre. However, the form factor isn't that great to me nor is the build quality. The physical keyboard stinks badly. Touchscreen needs improvement. This is a 2008 era phone for sure. 2011 I'm heading elsewhere.
    Been using my Pre now since June of 09, great phone, I like its compact size and also like having a real keyboard. The UI is awesome, way ahead of its time and while the OS is not perfect, it works fine and it's potential is obvious, when 2.0 is released it will be a smooth as velvet. The build quality of my Pre has been great, almost 14 months now and still working fine.
    Im trying to figure out why I am dying for a new webos phone; when in fact it is the Pixi form factor that got me to webos in the first place. I didnt know how awesome webos was until I used it. But I think that if a new webos phone comes out that is not slim like the pixi and non slider,. ill probably stick with my pixi
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Mikey47 - Really? Didn't mean to offend you with my question.

I'm not married to any device - that should be evident because I keep looking and trying other devices. In many ways I feel like I may be missing out by staying on the Pre.

Maybe my question should have been 'what am I missing out of'. I am out of contract and can switch and probably will at some point. Looking for informed and un-biased feedback to help me decide if and what.

If you don't like my question what would possibly possess you to reply with a snarky response? Don't you have anything better to do?