Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Hi, everyone!

This is my first post.
    I'm in Mexico, and I'd like to have a Pre Plus, but...
    The official Mexican provider is Telcel, a quasi-monopoly (it has about 80% of the market) who doesn't care about their customers. Its owner, Carlos Slim, is the 2nd or 3rd richest man in the planet.
    They only sell the Pre, if you are lucky to find it, at a ridiculous high price. Almost as high as the iPhone 4, and they tie you to a 3 year plan.
    And they don't plan to add the Pre Plus.
    And the webOS is still 1.4.0.

So, I was thinking...
    Can I buy an unlocked AT&T Pre Plus with the highest possible webOS, and just put in my SIM card? (I'm not even in the Telcel network, I'm with Telefónica Movistar).
    I plan to use the Pre Plus just for voice, text messaging, and Twitter. Maybe use the GPS function, too.
    Any opinions, suggestions, advice?

macnifico
    Just across the USA-Mexico border.
    Yes, you can buy a Palm Pre Plus from AT&T unlocked (or unlock it yourself) and use it in Mexico. Since both AT&T and Movistar Mexico use the same radio frequency you will have 3G too. I would recommend you to activate your Pre Plus in USA, so you get full access to the App Catalog (if you activate it in Mexico, you will get access less apps).

PS: You can update the Telcel Palm Pre to webOS 1.4.5 following the guide here
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Yes, you can buy a Palm Pre Plus from AT&T unlocked (or unlock it yourself) and use it in Mexico. Since both AT&T and Movistar Mexico use the same radio frequency you will have 3G too. I would recommend you to activate your Pre Plus in USA, so you get full access to the App Catalog (if you activate it in Mexico, you will get access less apps).

PS: You can update the Telcel Palm Pre to webOS 1.4.5 following the guide

Gracias, Alvaro.
    I have a new question: How can I activate the Pre Plus in the USA? Do they sell SIM chips like in Mexico? Do I have to buy an AT&T SIM chip?
    I plan to buy the Pre Plus on eBay. If activated in the USA, Do I loose my USA privileges when I use it in Mexico? I plan to use the "Pay as you go" plan. Just buy enough minutes to use Twitter ocasionally. For that, I need to use my mexican cel number...
    Mmmmh, it is getting a bit complicated, but I think is feasible.
    Thank you for your help.
    macnifico
    Hola, busco usuarios y desarrolladores de HP webOS en Mexico, centro y sur américa. Hay alguno?
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macnifico View Post
    Gracias, Alvaro.
    I have a new question: How can I activate the Pre Plus in the USA? Do they sell SIM chips like in Mexico? Do I have to buy an AT&T SIM chip?
    I plan to buy the Pre Plus on eBay. If activated in the USA, Do I loose my USA privileges when I use it in Mexico? I plan to use the "Pay as you go" plan. Just buy enough minutes to use Twitter ocasionally. For that, I need to use my mexican cel number...
    Mmmmh, it is getting a bit complicated, but I think is feasible.
    Thank you for your help.
    macnifico
    I'll add a few answers for you.

1. Do they sell SIM chips like in Mexico? --> Yes, but, I think it's not as easy to get. Personally, I bought my AT&T SIM card (pay as you go account) from here: Cingular Prepaid SIM Card - ATT Prepaid SIM Card, US SIM Card
    **** if you don't plan to keep the AT&T SIM, you might be able to convince someone to let you use theirs long enough to get activated.
    **** Keep in mind: in order to be 'USA-Activated', you physically have to be in the USA when you activate the phone.

2. If activated in the U.S., do you loose your U.S.A. privileges in-Mexico? --> No, once it's been activated as a 'USA' phone, it will always act like a USA phone: both for the App catalogue & OTA updates.

I hope this helps / good luck.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Quote Originally Posted by hgc2002 View Post
    Hola, busco usuarios y desarrolladores de HP webOS en Mexico, centro y sur américa. Hay alguno?
    Translation: "Hi' I'm looking for webOS users and developers from Mexico, Central and South America. Is there any one?"

I'm a mexican webOS user Since this forum is in english, you won't find here plenty of latin american webOS users, you'll find more here: Foros PoderPDA • Ver foro - Web Os
    You can actually activate it here in Mexico, and you'll get access to a very complete app catalog (3900 apps by now), with paid apps (you need a mexican VISA or Mastercard card).

It works, I did it, but you need the Pre Plus to be unlocked so you can use it with your Movistar SIM.

I activated mine with Telcel
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg