1.    #1  
    This is the message i've been getting since around 6AM this morning (PST). I get it when going from Preware to any App store application.

For instance - I see Angry Birds Lite in Preware. I open it, and go to "install". It then opens the App store app, and I get a blue screen with the message "This is not a valid WebOS application".

I go into the App store, and search for Angry Birds Lite...and nothing. But if I go to the "Most Recent" selection, I see the Angry Birds Lite, and I can open it and install it.

Anyone else having issues with the App store?

Oh, and i'm also having the false "updates available" issue.

1.4.5 Verizon Palm Pre Plus
    Last edited by callmechewy; 09/16/2010 at 11:48 AM.
    What webOS version are you running?
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  3.    #3  
    1.4.5 Verizon Palm Pre Plus

Sorry, should have said that in my first post.
    If you scroll down far enough, I guarantee you it's not "every" application you go from preware to the store for.
    This ALWAYS happens for the first few hours when an App is beginning to be seeded to the catalog servers. The app doesn't properly show up on a Catalog page at first, but the page will appear after a couple of hours.

Depending on what time it is when you notice an app on Preware that you can't find on the catalog yet (and if you follow a catalog link, the catalog will tell you it's not a valid webOS application) you should go to bed, have lunch, have dinner, or watch a movie and try again. Chances are it's now going to work
    I generally skip Preware when dealing with app store apps...just seems to work better.

Not sure why you can't search in the app store. What if you search for "angr," what comes up?
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  6.    #6  
    Well, I tried searching for Angry and Birds (separately), and only the full version came up.

And to GodSHapedHole - It probably isn't every app, but I tried several from Preware and had it happen to each of them. They were all new apps though. I would think that 4 hours is enough time for the apps to propagate well enough to not have this issue though.

Edit - well, I can search the App store now, and the programs show up properly. I am experiencing some weird graphical glitches in the app store though...the images for each app flicker a every second.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    Well, I tried searching for Angry and Birds (separately), and only the full version came up.

And to GodSHapedHole - It probably isn't every app, but I tried several from Preware and had it happen to each of them. They were all new apps though. I would think that 4 hours is enough time for the apps to propagate well enough to not have this issue though.

Edit - well, I can search the App store now, and the programs show up properly. I am experiencing some weird graphical glitches in the app store though...the images for each app flicker a every second.
    If you are running govnah, with the update launcher icon option enabled, it can cause the app catalog to flicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    I would think that 4 hours is enough time for the apps to propagate well enough to not have this issue though.
    You'd think so, but then you'd be wrong. It definitely takes longer than it should, but if you use Preware regularly and mostly notice app drops there (like me) you'll see that apps "freshly" entered into preware are always 'not valid webOS apps' for the first few hours, and only then show up in the Catalog.
    Just to let you know, this is an issue with the Palm catalog/Preware.

Basically while the list of applications to be released for the day is available as early as 6AM in the morning (or earlier, I don't wake up earlier though), the actual apps themselves are not yet available for download.

Somehow or other, the Palm catalog can filter out these apps till they're truly available, but Preware can't (having something to do with how it access the Palm Catalog feed), so when an app that hasn't been released yet shows up in Preware, hence the error.

The only work around right now is A. Wait for webOS 2.0 and Preware 2.0, B. Don't wake up so early, C. Check for updates later.