1. dw
    Issue:
    The USB-drive function ceased working completely.

What happened:
    Having a few installations done in the last weeks (Telmap Navi, patch No System noise during calls, AutoEnable Disable GPS 4G'maps, r/w access patch for file dir, official RSStool) I suddenly find my Pre without USB drive connection.

Connecting to the PC only brings the charging notice. I expected the usual popup offering the options to charge or to connect as USB drive (or to media-something).
    >> Nothing like this. <<<
    Only charging when the original Palm USB cable is connected.
    Checked the PC: Works fine. Running RH-Linux. Always did unmount the device properly ;-)) in the past.
    Combination Pre - my PC used to work fine until.... I do not know what the preceding action was or what triggered the failure.

To find out more or to force "USB mode" I installed the USB Mode switcher tool. And guess what it does: It starts with the grey card then dies silently.
    So there is some process aborting before it becomes operational.
    What happens?

Question to the smart & experienced audience:
    - Where is a log file to start with?
    - Is this issue known? Did this happen before?
    - Is there a cure other than a total wipeout?

Remarks:
    Yes, I did restart several times, soft reset and complete shutdown and so on.
    I already installed Internalz to look into files in the file system. I can handle vi and am used to do simple tasks in UNIX. Pre runs WebOS 1.4.5, the model is P100UEU supplied by o2 Germany.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Where are the relevant log files to be found???

Dietmar
    Last edited by dw; 09/16/2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: minor correction in wording
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    have you tried using the org+sym+U key combo? this should put your drive directly into usb mode. if that doesn't work, you can ssh your pre and access the info on the usb drive. here's more info if you need help with setting up ssh: Application:OpenSSH - WebOS Internals
    reboot your pc and try again
    Do you have any icons in your notification area? Just charge patch installed?
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    reboot your pc and try again
    Do what he said. Reboot your PC and your Pre and try again. Also, if you used USB passthrough at some point, then thats another issue
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Worst case scenerio (usb storage mode is somehow physically broken) you can still transfer files back and forth over your wifi using the whole openssh/ftp/filezilla route... More convienent as well - or at least i think so... Nice to be able to transfer files back and forth on the fly without having to yank and plug cables etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Worst case scenerio (usb storage mode is somehow physically broken) you can still transfer files back and forth over your wifi using the whole openssh/ftp/filezilla route... More convienent as well - or at least i think so... Nice to be able to transfer files back and forth on the fly without having to yank and plug cables etc.
    Also WiFi media sync...... but if the USB is actually dead (doubt it) and under warranty/insurance, I would go for replacement.
    I have this problem occasionally when installing patches, but I found it's just my computer. I had to restart my computer, and while waiting I restarted my Pre too (just for good measure). But I found that if I restarted my Pre without doing the same to my computer I still couldn't connect. Why not try a different computer and see if that works?
  9. dw
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3925 View Post
    have you tried using the org+sym+U key combo? this should put your drive directly into usb mode. if that doesn't work, you can ssh your pre and access the info on the usb drive. here's more info if you need help with setting up ssh: [....webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:OpenSSH"]Application:OpenSSH - WebOS Internals
    That does not do anything - it's almost the same thing like forcing "USB mode" with the USB Mode switcher tool. Does NOT work.

Rebooting the PC? Several times, like the Pre. No difference. USB works fine for the camera, PC is OK
    Using a different OS on the PC? No difference.

Using Pre's internal Tests I found the GPS is not working as well. Weird.

Of course FTP or ssh on the Pre would get me the files (and I like the idea anyways... But it does not help to make the USB drive appear and work again.

Meanwhile: I did a strong reset using "Erase Apps & Data".
    Result: Preware gone, problems remain. Quite useless stuff.

Got to check how to reinstall the OS. Is this done via WebOS Doctor?
    Does it work if the required USB connection (!) does not work??

I wonder why there is noone here to point me to the log files. Where are the logs???

Dietmar
    Last edited by dw; 09/17/2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typo
    /var/log/messages. Good luck, it's a big haystack!