Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Ive done this or am actively looking for a donor Pre+

31 37.80%
  • No! I would never void the warranty by doing this to my beloved Pre

6 7.32%
  • Maybe! Im not comfortable doing this myself but would otherwise

20 24.39%
  • This is a complete waste of time and money, There will be new hardware soon enough for me.

28 34.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am curious to know who has actually done it or if you plan on doing it.

Please vote in the poll!

I did this last night and was surprisingly simple!

I bought a verizon Pre+ that, to my pleasure found out is a chuck Norris Pre!
    Wow this thing is rock solid at 1.2 ghz and extremely fast now.

Been running it 1 day so far and not 1 hiccup.
    Last edited by 2sslow; 09/15/2010 at 08:34 PM.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

I wonder what you would do if you have to get a replacement Pre....like if your speaker gets blown or you experience some other common problem with the Pre? Can you just take out the extra RAM and replace it back with your old Pre'?
  3.    #3  
    Nope once its been opened it voids your warranty.

W/ me my pre is 16 mos old so its out of warranty anyway and paying 7.00 a mo. for tep is useless. the deductible is 100.00 and I can find them all day long on Ebay and Craigslist for that or less.

Its worth it to me to get the better hardware. Plus Im eligible for upgrade so worst case scenario I get a new device.

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I found a Sprint pre with a broken screen but a clean esn. Will that work?
    Quote Originally Posted by tp2386 View Post
    Yes. That's what I did for mine, except I used a Bell one.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Nope once its been opened it voids your warranty.

W/ me my pre is 16 mos old so its out of warranty anyway and paying 7.00 a mo. for tep is useless. the deductible is 100.00 and I can find them all day long on Ebay and Craigslist for that or less.

Its worth it to me to get the better hardware. Plus Im eligible for upgrade so worst case scenario I get a new device.
    I see....well I just got my 9th replacement Pre no charge but I got mine originally in December so I guess that's what's holding me back from doing it because I can still get free ones.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    There's no option for "I'd love to but don't want to spend the money on a donor Pre+"
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    There's no option for "I'd love to but don't want to spend the money on a donor Pre+"

Yeah I'd probably vote that too.
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
    Sprint's TEP has NO deductable. In that light I think it's silly to pass.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Been lightly looking myself. Price still too high for me too. Haven't tried looking hard enough to get a deal.

May have to though. I'm not encouraged we're gonna get a new device real soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboy182 View Post
    Yeah I'd probably vote that too.
    +1
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    I am constantly getting stuck in headset mode, and even though I'm on my first Pre I won't even use preware because I am sure that at some point I will need a warranty replacement when the time arrives that neither I nor the Sprint store will be able to unstick it from headset mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    I am constantly getting stuck in headset mode, and even though I'm on my first Pre I won't even use preware because I am sure that at some point I will need a warranty replacement when the time arrives that neither I nor the Sprint store will be able to unstick it from headset mode.
    Preware doesn't void warranty. Just doctor the phone before you send it in.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

I have my original Sprint Pre less a radio board then i have another pre from sprint thats new in the box I first got me a bad ESN Pre Plus Put my com's board in and was good to go that pre got swiped called insurance then gave me a new one Sprint that is got it used it for a day or too and then got a new pre plus for 200 put the com's board in the new pre plus so now i have 2 sprint pres no coms boards and new in box stand by pre
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
    best decision I've ever made. There is no comparison between the pre and the pre plus. The pre plus is simply amazing. Worth the seven hour install cherry picking parts between two brken phones to make one perfect device. As a plus I now know the inside of this thing like the back of my hand and can fix most little hardware hiccups myself.
    It's not about the money.

It's about saving the environment for having one less Pre Plus with a bad ESN going to the dump.

It's about having the device reborn in your own hands and the feeling of accomplishment.

I can find them all day long on Ebay and Craigslist for that or less.
    I would like to know where you're finding these Pre's on ebay for less than $100, I've tried to get a dozen or so of these through auction for the last few weeks.
    They're never ended for less than $115 and buy it now's usually price right around $100-$350.

The few that show up on craigslist usually show for around $120-$150
  18.    #18  
    I just bought my + for100.00 on craigslis and I bought my daughters for 100.00 on ebay 1 month ago.

Follow the link below.

So the extra ram makes that much of a performance difference? I thought it only helped in avoiding TMC errors?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by tp2386 View Post
    No, you need a working Sprint Pre- and a clean or dirty esn Pre+, If the screen is broken on the Pre- then you wont be able to extract the tokens.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Yes. That's what I did for mine, except I used a Bell one.
    ?

Follow the link below.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast