Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Ive done this or am actively looking for a donor Pre+

31 37.80%
  • No! I would never void the warranty by doing this to my beloved Pre

6 7.32%
  • Maybe! Im not comfortable doing this myself but would otherwise

20 24.39%
  • This is a complete waste of time and money, There will be new hardware soon enough for me.

28 34.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    I just bought my + for100.00 on craigslis and I bought my daughters for 100.00 on ebay 1 month ago.
    Where did you get the tools to change from a Pre to a Pre+?
    I'm deployed so I have nothing but time to get it done until a new Pre comes out.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Yeah, I'm way too cheap... I don't even want to pay a hundred for a dirty Pre+. And it's not even the money. Oh well, guess I gotta go bid if I want one bad enough.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnaMayShun View Post
    Where did you get the tools to change from a Pre to a Pre+?
    I'm deployed so I have nothing but time to get it done until a new Pre comes out.
    Right here.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ion-guide.html

BTW THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, YOU GUYS MAKE LIFE AS WE KNOW IT POSSIBLE.

What branch and where are you deployed?
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    So the extra ram makes that much of a performance difference? I thought it only helped in avoiding TMC errors?
    I've had my Sprint Pre Plus for quite some time now. The difference between 256ram and 512ram is a HUGE deal, performance wise.

With 256ram you're always close to running out of memory. The phone then has to swap to the much slower flash memory and when it does this, you'll notice some sluggishness in the UI. (regardless of your kernel and compcache)

With a Pre Plus, I've yet to run out of memory. I can keep opening cards and it never gets sluggish. It's totally a night and day difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    With 256ram you're always close to running out of memory. The phone then has to swap to the much slower flash memory and when it does this, you'll notice some sluggishness in the UI. (regardless of your kernel and compcache)

With a Pre Plus, I've yet to run out of memory. I can keep opening cards and it never gets sluggish. It's totally a night and day difference.
    I think I've only had the TMC error once since I installed Uberkernal and Govnah after the 1.4.5 update.

But I'm sure you're right - the extra memory would make it even snappier.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  6.    #26  
    No matter what anybody else tell you, its not placebo! The extra 256mg IS A BIG DEAL and IS VERY NOTICABLE. My Sprint Pre+ is incredible.

So far I have not had one glitch, w/the Pre- it would randomly lock up (not really but would stop for a second or so before completing the task) Now its seamless, no glitches or slow downs what so ever.

Do this at your own risk but as far as Im concerned this is the fastest, smoothest, and most intuitive touchscreen device Ive ever laid my hands on.

I would have paid $500.00 for this mod if I couldnt have done this myself, Its really that Great now. Dont get me wrong The Pre- was great but the Pre+.....WOW!

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Right here.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ion-guide.html

BTW THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, YOU GUYS MAKE LIFE AS WE KNOW IT POSSIBLE.

What branch and where are you deployed?
    Thanks for the links. Just wondering if i need special tools or not.

I'm in the Marines and I'm in Afghanistan.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    No, you need a working Sprint Pre- and a clean or dirty esn Pre+, If the screen is broken on the Pre- then you wont be able to extract the tokens.

?
    Can anyone else confirm this? I could have sworn I seen a post where you could use a Sprint pre - with a broken screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by tp2386 View Post
    Can anyone else confirm this? I could have sworn I seen a post where you could use a Sprint pre - with a broken screen.
    With a broken screen you can't put the phone into developer mode to gain access to /tmp/tokens

at least that's my understanding? I guess it's technically possible to swap screens, get the tokens, and then swap back. That's a lot of work though.
    4. Meta-Doctor (get it here Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals)

Can I use MetaDoctor on Windows?
    I went to the Internals page and it says Linux and MAC X OS for directions.
    Quote Originally Posted by tp2386 View Post
    http://forums.precentral.net/2634680-post168.html
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 09/16/2010 at 05:59 PM.
    What is sad to other platforms is that a Pre+ (running on Sprint or any other carrier, except Verizon due to the GPS issue) overclocked to 1 GHz and a couple patches is a better experience than hardware that came out within the past couple months.....

I can't tell you how many times my friends on Android have been playing a game (such as Angry Birds beta that just came out for them) and have gotten interrupted by a text or something, and then have to restart the game. I just play, switch to the text or call, then switch back and carry on with the game or whatever else I'm doing.... Seamless.
    Last edited by supercluver; 09/16/2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: whatever
  13.    #33  
    Thanks for the links. Just wondering if i need special tools or not.

I'm in the Marines and I'm in Afghanistan.
    You will need a t5 torx and a thin plastic prybar, and a magnet is helpful.

4. Meta-Doctor (get it here Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals)

Can I use MetaDoctor on Windows?
    I went to the Internals page and it says Linux and MAC X OS for directions.
    Meta Dr doesnt let you see the tokens through a broken screen.

Follow the link below.

Meta Dr doesnt let you see the tokens through a broken screen.
    You don't need the screen.

Use Meta-Doctor to bypass First Use and enable Dev Mode. Then connect via Novacom to extract tokens.

Read the link I posted several posts ago.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 09/16/2010 at 06:01 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroven Taulrok View Post
    I would like to know where you're finding these Pre's on ebay for less than $100, I've tried to get a dozen or so of these through auction for the last few weeks.
    They're never ended for less than $115 and buy it now's usually price right around $100-$350.

The few that show up on craigslist usually show for around $120-$150
    http://forums.precentral.net/marketp...-pre-50-a.html

Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    So the extra ram makes that much of a performance difference? I thought it only helped in avoiding TMC errors?
    Way better performance

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    You don't need the screen.

Use Meta-Doctor to bypass First Use and enable Dev Mode. Then connect via Novacom to extract tokens.

Read the link I posted several posts ago.
    you are right!

Follow the link below.

I think I've done just about every different combination of Pre, Pre+, CDMA comms board, GSM comms board (.eu and .us variants), Pixi, and Pixi+ including radio board swaps, and keyboard swaps.

That's why I wrote the MetaDoctor

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    W/ me my pre is 16 mos old so its out of warranty anyway and paying 7.00 a mo. for tep is useless. the deductible is 100.00 and I can find them all day long on Ebay and Craigslist for that or less.
    Well, rumor has it that you can get $100 credited to your account from Sprint if you are a long time customer in good standing and if you ask nicely....twice.

So, Asurion charges you $100 and Sprint then credits you $100, so in that case, it's a good idea to keep TEP.
  18.    #38  
    I have not had any problems w/ the Pre hardware except for the speaker (which turns out was my fault as i work around metal shavings and thats what caused the speaker to go bad.

Ive had tep for 9 yrs at 7.00 a month per phone, so 21.00 per mo., and used it once.
    Thats $2268.00 I should not have to ask nicely once or twice.

I just cancelled TEP once I modified my Pre (I cant in good conscience try to use insurance when I modded the hardware). Ill take my chances w/o tep, thanks though.

Follow the link below.

Ive had tep for 9 yrs at 7.00 a month per phone, so 21.00 per mo., and used it once.
    Thats $2268.00 I should not have to ask nicely once or twice.
    Ouch....you're right, I didn't think of it that way.

I just cancelled TEP once I modified my Pre (I cant in good conscience try to use insurance when I modded the hardware).
    True...I wasn't thinking about using it on modded hardware, just hardware issues in general.

You bring up a good point. For long time customers paying insurance for years and never using it, they should waive the deductible when you finally do decide to make a claim.
    I have done the mod, I love the result with one exception...

I can't charge the device at all! No matter what charging solution I use, either battery, TS or USB or AC, Airplane mode or no, Govnah ALWAYS shows a -20mA current on the battery and the battery % continues to decline until the phone shuts off. After the "charging" phase of reviving a dead phone, the battery continues to drain.

I have tried Doctoring the phone, installing preware, installing Govnah only and I still have the negative current on the battery.

I am hoping it is an issue with the pre plus and not my sprint COM board. (Only, of course, if it isn't a software or firmware issue that can be resolved)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast