Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    I want to start off by apologizing if this has been covered...

I have had a Sprint Palm Pre since release week, and I am currently on my seventh. I have patched since the early days of tweeks in webOS Quick Install and have been overclocking for a LONG while. I have recently switched Pres (twice in a week because the first replacement was bad) and am suddenly having overheating problems ONLY when it is on the touchstone.

I am currently using the F105 kernel and have been over the past 3 devices. None of the prior two had any problem on the touchstone unless I was trying to use the device alot. Suddenly, running the same patches and with the same usage habits and the same programs, this phone starts to overheat on the 'stone (and by suddenly, I mean the first night). I have resorted to simply plugging the phone in which causes no problems in the least; the phone remains completely cool.

I am confused as to why this is happening. Why is it only on the touchstone and not when charging any other way? I greatly appreciate any help that can be offered. Thank you!
    Andrew - Sprint Palm Pre, webOS 2.1
    The TS charger for some reason builds more heat into the device when charging, that is why the new govnah app (screenstate setting) ramps the Pre down to 500 mhz when set on a TS charger.
    This is not good.

There are 2 limiters at play here; a temp limiter and a charging limiter. it seems you are failing on both.

Are you running the latest version of F105?
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Yes, I am using the latest version of both F105 and Govnah. I was under the impression that the F105 kernel automatically used screenstate 1005/500. Nevertheless, I used Govnah to manually set that screenstate.

Anyway, it gets worse. After posting this thread, I removed F105 and then installed the recovery stock Palm kernel. I did a complete reboot and, after it booted back up, I simply set the phone on the touchstone and did not touch it. I just got the "Device Temperature warning." Damn!

Should I doctor? I'm thinking about exchanging the phone through insurance, but I don't know if they will cover it, and I don't know what to say. If I tell them I have a patch installed that tells me when it overheats then they will not process the claim, and if I don't have the patch, I can't prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdgdl08 View Post
    Yes, I am using the latest version of both F105 and Govnah. I was under the impression that the F105 kernel automatically used screenstate 1005/500. Nevertheless, I used Govnah to manually set that screenstate.

Anyway, it gets worse. After posting this thread, I removed F105 and then installed the recovery stock Palm kernel. I did a complete reboot and, after it booted back up, I simply set the phone on the touchstone and did not touch it. I just got the "Device Temperature warning." Damn!

Should I doctor? I'm thinking about exchanging the phone through insurance, but I don't know if they will cover it, and I don't know what to say. If I tell them I have a patch installed that tells me when it overheats then they will not process the claim, and if I don't have the patch, I can't prove it.
    Doctor it. Dont reinstall any patches after the doctor, see if it still happens.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Backing up now, going to doctor next... when you mention a charging limiter, are you talking about on device or the touchstone?
    Backing up now, going to doctor next... when you mention a charging limiter, are you talking about on device or the touchstone?
    All the newer kernels have a temp limiter and a charging limiter so you cant go above a certain temp... it will scale back to 500MHz. If placed on the TS or charging via a wall charger it will scale back to 500MHz. So it should act as a stock phone at that point. The charging limiter is only if using screenstate.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    OK, that's what I thought, I was just hoping that, maybe, it was a problem with my touchstone. Since it did that when running the stock kernel, maybe it was scaling back and working properly. Maybe I just got a hot phone. My second got pretty hot pretty easily, but my last 4 haven't done that.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    It's reinstalling all the apps now. It's piping hot, but that's normal.

I really wish that backup would reinstall your beta apps!
    One tought from me: when I bought my pre with a TS I had the ding dong problem while chargin. So I got a replacement TS and it worked. The guy in the shop told me that each combination of backcover and TS act differently. So maybe it's the combination of your new backcover and your old stone? Or are you using the same backcover?
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    I'm still using the same back.

After being on the touchstone all night, the phone was only slightly warm on the back. After getting a call, however, I placed the phone back on the TS and it started to heat up.

EDIT:
    OK, so it seems to be staying cooler, so this is looking good. I just used webOS QI to install Preware so I can get my Beta apps back. I'm still not installing any patches, and will wait to install any kernels as well. I remember reading something about waiting something like 24 hours to install kernels after doctoring. Is this correct?
    Last edited by bdgdl08; 09/16/2010 at 10:43 AM.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I'm still using the same back.

After being on the touchstone all night, the phone was only slightly warm on the back. After getting a call, however, I placed the phone back on the TS and it started to heat up.

EDIT:
    OK, so it seems to be staying cooler, so this is looking good. I just used webOS QI to install Preware so I can get my Beta apps back. I'm still not installing any patches, and will wait to install any kernels as well. I remember reading something about waiting something like 24 hours to install kernels after doctoring. Is this correct?
    I doctored my wife's Pre and it had UK and guvnah installed and running @ 500/1000 within 30 minutes. Still running fine. (individual results may vary, I guess)
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ehehat View Post
    I doctored my wife's Pre and it had UK and guvnah installed and running @ 500/1000 within 30 minutes. Still running fine. (individual results may vary, I guess)
    Thanks... Yeah, I've done that 4 or so times. I just thought I remembered a precautionary guideline about waiting.

EDIT:
    OK, well I'm tired of waiting. I installed all of my patches around 1 today, and haven't had any overheating on the TS, so I'm going for the OC. I think I'll go back to the F105... I just like it. I'll be back if it overheats.
    Last edited by bdgdl08; 09/16/2010 at 05:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Just wanted to heck back in... Everything's been working just fine since I re-installed. Thanks for your help.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr