Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,

I just got back to America after 2 years in India where I could only watch the Palm Pre saga from afar. Now that I'm back I can finally try ditching my 3GS for an Pre Plus on AT&T (which at least in my area has a fantastic network).

I've been using it for a week now and here are my observations coming from 3 years of iPhone use (and abuse ):

I love:
    • The multitasking. It's simply glorious and the card interface, gestures seem much more natural, intuitive, and Apple-esque than Apple's own half-*** multitasking in iOS 4.
    • gesture area. so simple yet so powerful, love the gesture-area+keyboard combinations.
    • The notifications. They are the best. Apple's by contrast, are the worst. I am shocked that Apple did not address these in iOS 4. I can only hope that the Palm defector guy fixes these fast. And the LED light is a fantastic touch
    • The way Palm treats its users compared to Apple: no App Store approval madness, and actually embracing jailbreak/homebrew instead of fanatically trying to destroy it. Palm treats me like an adult where Apple infantilizes me.
    • The design of the OS. I just love the icons, font, etc
    • Synergy!
    • Touchstone is awesome! Or at least it would be if I actually owned one but $60 seems a bit steep...
    • Removable battery!
    • The size and shape of the Pre. it just feels great in my hand. I love to hold it.
    • The webOS community! It feels like being a Mac user in the 90s, when Apple was "beleaguered" and its users were a close community of comrades

I really don't like (and hope you P|C guys can help!):
    • missing Skype and Whatsapp. These are potential dealbreakers. I can do without 50 fart apps, but some apps I really need.
    • The IM client seems quite flaky. I seem to get signed off a lot without any indication of it (i only find out when my friends say they can't find me online). Also it needs more protocols!
    • cut copy paste...still not quite sure how that's supposed to work. And is it just not possible to copy text from a web site?
    • Is there any way to get more than 3 pages on the homescreen/launcher?
    • Why can't the phone be a USB drive and a phone at the same time?
    • My contacts and calendars are in MobileMe. Now how can I sync them?
    • Other aspects of the hardware (it feels cheap, the plastic is going to scratch like crazy, and oh my god what is the deal with that USB port door?)
    • The battery life. It's bad. Damn bad. At least it's removable!
    • The speed. I've overclocked it to 1Ghz and that helps but the low FPS of the interface and the occasional lag in UI responsiveness is disappointing
    • The hardware keyboard. After 3 years of the iPhone keyboard I am a virtual keyboard ninja and prefer it to a hardware keyboard. I hope the next webOS device has a virtual keyboard!
    • The dependence on carriers for updates...yeah 1.4.5 took a while...

In short I come to the same conclusion that most people have come to. A brilliant OS with a great and open company behind it, constrained by mediocre hardware and 3rd party app support so small it borders on being a dealbreaker.

I wish I knew what hardware was in store for webOS 2.0, when it would be coming, and if Skype and Whatsapp were coming...I love love love using the webOS, especially compared to iOS (that seems so primitive in comparison) and the insufferable company controlling it. But I don't know if I can blow my 2 year contract renewal on this lackluster (and quite dated) hardware and uncertain future for 3rd party apps I've come to depend on.

I think what I might do is just return it...BUT the potential of webOS is enough for me to hold off on renewing with an iPhone 4 or Galaxy S to see what HP-Palm has in store...but how long can I wait with an iPhone 3GS that is falling apart?
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    See if you can pick up a pre plus on craigs list or ebay and pin swap?
  3.    #3  
    How much are they going for?
    to address a few of your complaints: cut, copy, paste - to select text in an editable field (email, text message, etc) place the cursor at the beginning of the segment you want, hold the shift key and drag to highlight desired text. For uneditable text (web, etc), hold shift and tap on a paragraph or more. Unfortunately you can't select less than a paragraph. To cut or copy, you can go to the menu, select edit, cut or copy, or you can press in the gesture area and the letters c,x or v (for paste).

for more launcher pages, there's a patch for that. (advanced launcher configuration or something like that)
    decided to have some fun with this. This entire message was made on my pre.

first I coppied all the questions I'm gonna answer.

The IM client seems quite flaky. I seem to get signed off a lot without any indication of it (i only find out when my friends say they can't find me online). Also it needs more protocols!

there are two patches that can help you here. One is this very huge set of patches that give you every protocol under the sun. http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...yahoo-icq.html and the other is agile messenger. Never tried that second one. Oh and there is also the simple facebook chat patch. That last one is what I use.

cut copy paste...still not quite sure how that's supposed to work. And is it just not possible to copy text from a web site?

cut copy and past works as such. Whenever you want to copy something you hold the shift button and either touch or drag over whatever it is you want to copy. Once it's hilighted you hold your finger on the gesture area to light it up and either press the x or c buttons to either cut or copy the selected text depending on what you want to do. Finally to past said text you hold your finger on the gesture area till it lights up and press the v button on your keyboard. This works everywhere cut copy and past is suported which is in the vast majority of the phone. If that doesn't work, like when you're trying to copy someones text they sent you, the other form is to hold the gesture area and touch what you want to copy on the screen. A menu will pop up and you will have several options with what to do with what you selected including copying. This also works with photos you encounter in the browser.

as an extra tip if you hold the alt button instead of the shift button when entering text you can exacto knife style move the text curser around within text you are editing by just moving your finger in the direction you want the text to go. It's very helpful when you're trying to write a lengthy how to to a new pre user

The battery life. It's bad. Damn bad. At least it's removable!

yes it is. Spare batteries are really cheep. Like 10 bucks for two or three cheep. That and a spare battery charger can be had for pennies and sometimes are sold together. I always have one or two batteries fully charged on reserve so it's like I have an unlimited battery life with short 5 minute reboot breaks.

The speed. I've overclocked it to 1Ghz and that helps but the low FPS of the interface and the occasional lag in UI responsiveness is disappointing

what setting do you have govnah on? I have govnah on screenstate 500/1000 and have a liquid smooth operation. It will never be as smooth as an iphone 3gs not because of the hardware but because in many instances the animation isn't there. What's more important is responsiveness. If the pre responding the second you press on things then give it a little slack and remember that with that beautiful pre plus you have your smoothness remains the same even when you have 30 apps open at once. At least it does for me. Regardless as a tip to help boost you further either start jumping on the experimental kernals that are up to past 1.2 ghz (but buyer beware high risk of pre breaking) and kill the logging your phone does. The patch to dissable logging is in preware and at least for me when I had it I noticed a speed diference on my non plus pre. Haven't felt I needed it yet with my pre plus.

Is there any way to get more than 3 pages on the homescreen/launcher?

patch patch patch patch patch! The launcher is one of the most customizable aspects of your pre. Search through the patches in preware, and try out different ones till you have customized your launcher to sweet perfection.

The hardware keyboard. After 3 years of the iPhone keyboard I am a virtual keyboard ninja and prefer it to a hardware keyboard. I hope the next webOS device has a virtual keyboard!

As an ex iphone user myself (had the original iphone from when I bought it two months after it came out till september of 09 when I got my pre) my opinion on this is to just wait it out and give your fingers time to get used to the keyboard and you'll fall in love with it in no time. After nearly a year with this keyboard I almost never have to look down while typing and without a doubt fly faster and far more accurately with the pre keyboard then I ever did on my iphone. Also this thing never corrects certain words to he'll or duck if you know what I'm saying.

Why can't the phone be a USB drive and a phone at the same time?

yes that is annoying. No real fix atm however if you want you can setup an openssh server on the phone and access it's files on your computer from there.

My contacts and calendars are in MobileMe. Now how can I sync them?

no direct sync possible but if you put all that data on google from your computer you can get almost the exact same functionality through that.

Other aspects of the hardware (it feels cheap, the plastic is going to scratch like crazy, and oh my god what is the deal with that USB port door?)

get invisashield for the body of the phone to prevent scratches and don't worry bout the rest of the hardware. Pre pluses are put together much better than the original pres of old and (knock on wood) you should have a pretty sturdy phone overall.

well that's everything I could think of to help you with your gripes. Yes this community is amazing and is totally unmatched anywhere else. Enjoy your pre and hey if you still have your iphone you can use it as a skype phone and just hack in mobile hotspot to turn your pre into a modem for it.
    oh, one more thing, touchstones can be had for $20 or less new from certain stores. Shop around
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredsutter View Post
    oh, one more thing, touchstones can be had for $20 or less new from certain stores. Shop around
    and they are glorious!
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    +1 to what dz1262 said. Only things I noticed he didn't address was the USB door, which if you use his suggestion of the OpenSSH server along with a Touchstone, you won't have to worry about opening it.

And here's the rumor on Skype coming at some point: http://www.precentral.net/tiny-glimm...e-coming-webos

Whatsapp doesn't seem as likely though, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyleagueschmuck View Post
    if you have an AT&T pre you already have the pre plus.

For reference if your phone looks like this http://images.macrumors.com/article/...m_pre_plus.jpg it's a pre plus.

it's a regular pre if you have a pre that looks like this. http://www.ngonlinenews.com/media/me...14/PalmPre.jpg

difference in the body is the lack of a physical button on the face of the pre plus and the color difference between the keyboard on the pre and pre plus. Pre plus is gre and white. Pre is orange and white.
    I don’t go soft very often, but I have to comment that threads like this are why I have always been patient with my Pre. This community rocks & it seems like every problem eventually has a fix. That, and it keeps me interested all of the time. My advice, biased for sure, keep the Pre.

I am most definitely a gadget person (phones, home theater, music, gaming, computers, etc. etc.). I always tell myself I'll buy something & it will end there, that it can't get any better. Well, it never ends. It's a sickness. I bring this up because I thought I'd add that I want some new hardware as much as the next guy....but not for selfish reasons (I’ll make this all relevant, be patient).

I am probably one of the few people, at least at one point, that was terrified that a new Palm device would kill the community innovation that's ongoing with the Pre. Sure, it would continue on the new device (which I'll upgrade to - I'm already in my window btw), but as with Android, we see that new & increased numbers of devices can really fragment a community. For some of us, that’s a big part of our loyalty.

So back to my non-selfish reasons....I truly want others to realize what they are missing with webOS. I've converted 5 individuals to webOS (iPhone & Android converts), but I can list probably 10 times that many that have held my phone & mentioned one of your issues...the hardware. Mine is shaky (a launch). I don't have scratch issues, but I will never be so blind as to say it's a hardware triumph or beast. It's not. So I want new hardware to grow the webOS community (without killing it), and to stay relevant of course. I have nothing to gain really, maybe more app support, etc.. I sold my Palm stock & I don't own HP. We all need to be careful what we wish for though. For all it’s faults, we have it pretty good.

Sorry for the gush. I’m in shock I just wrote this. Bottom line, stick with the Pre & this community will take care of you. However, if it truly doesn’t fit a need of yours, you have to go with what does. It’s simple. If there was something I absolutely had to have working on my Pre & I didn’t have time to wait for a fix…I’d go with whatever current hardware out there does the job. If you have to jump ship though, make sure you get a return ticket.

One addition, I converted my best friend to webOS from iPhone. No badgering, nothing. He saw & used my phone a bit. Had owned the release iPhone & the 3GS. Within a week he proclaimed via an email to me “hands down the best phone I’ve ever had”. I thought maybe an exaggeration, but hey, that’s still how he feels to this day. For some sick & twisted reason, that type of shiz makes me feel good. Kind of like introducing someone to some new band/artist they’ve never heard. So cheers & keep us posted on your outcome.
    ***Duplicate Deleted***
    Last edited by steffej3; 09/15/2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: ***Duplicate Deleted***
    BTW...I did not double post that. I only submitted it once. Something funny is going on with the forum...or at least my browser.
    WiFI Media Sync will allow you to use the phone as a "USB" drive while in phone mode as well (and is an official app store app). Added that to the HB software Internalz and you can do more than you can do with the phone in USB mode.

I believe you can get your mobileme contacts into G-Mail, if you can that would be my easy suggestion to you. I have converted to g-mail after never using it before I got the Pre, also converted the wife. Contacts/Calendar/Docs.

As far as dependence on carriers for updates, I am guessing something similar will happen if the iPhone gets on VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    As far as dependence on carriers for updates, I am guessing something similar will happen if the iPhone gets on VZW
    Yeah, this is the normal way of things. Apple somehow managed a deal with AT&T that their updates get pushed through somehow faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derango View Post
    Yeah, this is the normal way of things. Apple somehow managed a deal with AT&T that their updates get pushed through somehow faster.
    Apple doesn't seem to follow any of those rules of keeping in step with the carriers. Have you ever seen a tiered iOS release? 4.01, the quickly thrown together update to change how the iphone displays cell signal came out for all devices at the same time world wide. There's no way they could have gotten testing clearance from all of the carriers around the world in that much time. I'm sure that apple just has a deal in all of their contract that gives them full (or nearly full hello AT&T tethering restrictions) control over when their os is updated and what is in each update.
    If you truly want to switch from Apple to HP/Palm, do so understanding that the system is under heavy development (HP, Palm, WebOS internals & PreCentral Members "like me"). Apple's iPhone was under heavy developement for the first two phones... "We are still on our first phone".

I say if you can, do a 30-day trial run and see how badly you really need your iPhone "if at all".
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  17.    #17  
    Thanks guys! I'm working on incorporating your suggestions. 20 days to go in the great Pre Plus challenge!
  18.    #18  
    Alas, cannot use Wifi Media Sync as I have a MacBook.
  19.    #19  
    And can someone tell me how to make the IM client not use groups? That's annoying because I have different groups on different services and the end result is I have the same names showing up 3 times under different categories. Beejive on my iPhone gives me the option to just ignore groups and only list by name and status.

Beejive also adds the synergy sauce to combine names because Apple's iOS is too primitive to do this
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyleagueschmuck View Post
    Return it and buy one off ebay for under $100, that way you can retain your upgrade if you decide you want to upgrade to something like the iPhone 4 or whatever and get the subsidized price.

Or use the marketplace here to find one from a board member.

Pre's are going too cheap now to buy into a contract with a carrier.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast