Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    My Pre gets stuck in headset mode about once a week. I am trying to notice patterns to at least try to have it happen less often. I am seeking any suggestions on things that others may have tried to keep it from happening as often. I can usually clear it with a combination of compressed air can, interdental brush (like the Q-tip method), calling viocemail then pulling out the headset, etc. Only once was it so bad that I had to drive to Reno to the Sprint store to fix (which they did in less than a minute).

I have been trying to see patterns of situations where stuck in headset mode occurs. For example, on days I wear jeans, it is more likely to occur (more lint in jeans pockets?). As I drive to and from work, I use one ear bud for my hands free calling and for listening to recorded radio shows. I always plug in the car charger as well. This could be pure voo doo coincidence, but it seems to occur more often when I unplug the charger before unplugging the headset. Also, I make sure to pause the playback of audio before unplugging, since it seems to happen more when I pull out the headset while playing music. I also seem to think that pulling the headset out gently appears to cause the problem more than when I just pull the headset out quickly.

Is all of this just superstition, or has anyone else come up with methods of preventing stuck in headset?
    dont ever unplug the headset/audo jack when the phone is in sleep mode ( black screen ) it wont register you un plugged it.... open a music app turn on the music ,,, then unplug jack while the app is open and screen is on...
    use bluetooth only, problem solved!!
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    use bluetooth only, problem solved!!
    Not exactly. I have a BT earpiece, but the sound quality (at the other end of the call) is very poor relative to the stock Palm headset. The big problem, however, is that there is only one BT earpiece that is A2DP compliant, and it's $60. I use the headset not only for calls, but to listen to recorded Rush shows when not calling.

So, on the one hand, $60 for inferior audio quality, and on the other hand, free with much better quality. Of course, the free option often sticks in headset mode, so I am a bit torn.
    Usually caused by dust. Keep the port clean using an air duster.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Usually caused by dust. Keep the port clean using an air duster.
    Thanks. I've actually taken to keeping a "cleaning kit" in my briefcase. I always wipe and blow across the headset jack before inserting the headset, but I keep a can of compressed air at work and at home as well as an interdental brush so I can unstick it when it gets stuck. I can't imagine what the TSA will make of that kit if I take it travelling!
    there is a homebrew app called the ghastly headset which helps with pulling the pre out of headset mode
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Well you should never put your pre in your pocket to begin with use a case like the palm case I work in a cell phone shop i have repaired many pre's and pre pluses EVERY single stuck in headset mode has been due to a dirty head set plug... Clean it out or replace it and its good to go its not hard at all to replace So my advice is get it clean or replace it and then don't be putting it in your pocket they also make some rubber plugs you can putt in your headset hole that will keep it clean as well.. .

Good Luck

CPR Cell Phone Repair
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
    I just plan to never use the headset again.
    mksand28, I could not find "Ghastly Headset" in Preware. Where can I find it?
    First clean it out with a Qtip (most of the cotton removed from the tip) with alcohol or electronic parts cleaner, after that lightly spray WD40 on the Qtip and then insert it into the headphone jack and spin the Qtip, that's it.
    I'm not sure if WD-40 is safe for tin/gold contacts...

Same reason why you shouldn't use non-sensor safe lubricants/cleaners on car engine sensors.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by milliman View Post
    mksand28, I could not find "Ghastly Headset" in Preware. Where can I find it?
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...dset-mode.html
    Last edited by NachoB; 09/20/2010 at 06:29 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    I've been wondering, can anyone describe the physical layout of the headset jack and where the sensor is? Is it a bent clip type of thing? The reason I ask is that I have gotten pretty good as unsticking it lately using compressed air and an interdental brush, but do I have to worry about breaking a contact off or bending it in such a way that I cannot be unstuck? I try to be gentle when inserting and removing the headset when I am trying to unstick headset mode. Is there a side of the jack I should concentrate on when trying to unstick? For example, will I have better results if I press the brush towards the power button when trying to unstick? Should I spin the brush clockwise, counterclockwise? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As for the gahstly headset, I am trying to keep my Pre stock in case I have to replace it for this issue. Also, as I understand it, the ghastly headset doesn't actually fix the problem, since it re-sets after each phone call. I would prefer to not have the problem in the first place.
    Regularly clean the headset hole with a small Qtip and a little rubbing alcohol.

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    My ex works at a makeup place in the mall. They have tons of disposable eye lash brushes at the counter. One of them fits the head phone jack perfectly.

I put alittle alcohol on the brush and clean the port weekly. Works great!

So go ask if you can have a few. Plus now you have a reason to start a conversation with the hottie behind the counter!

Good luck.....
    I plug my Pre to my sound system every day with a gold plug adapter cord. I haven't had the problem now for over five months.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I've plugged & unplugged, cleaned multiple times, unplugged after closing music player, unplugged while music playing, etc. etc. etc. and still have very erratic headset jack behavior. Nothing has kept the phone out of headset mode for more than a few minutes to maybe an hour. It started off not happening too often but got worse over time and now it's at the point where it is making my phone extremely difficult to use. At this point I'm ready to try taking the phone apart and finding a way to physically disconnect the jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdmpe View Post
    I've plugged & unplugged, cleaned multiple times, unplugged after closing music player, unplugged while music playing, etc. etc. etc. and still have very erratic headset jack behavior. Nothing has kept the phone out of headset mode for more than a few minutes to maybe an hour. It started off not happening too often but got worse over time and now it's at the point where it is making my phone extremely difficult to use. At this point I'm ready to try taking the phone apart and finding a way to physically disconnect the jack.
    Install Lumberjack in Preware, launch it, open the menu in the box "WHAT TO LOOK FOR," tap Custom, type "mic" with no quotation marks, tap Follow Log. Now move your phone around, slide it open/closed, and press the four corners of your phone until Lumberjack outputs a fast scrolling list of text. When that happens, it means your phone has a hardware problem.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    I read in a post elsewhere that if you pause the app for which you're using the headset before unplugging the headset and before closing the app or turning off the Pre, that it is more likely to switch back to speaker correctly. It's worked for me the last 2 times I tried it. (I monitored the Pre's behavior with Ghastly Headset while doing so.)
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast