Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Install Lumberjack in Preware, launch it, open the menu in the box "WHAT TO LOOK FOR," tap Custom, type "mic" with no quotation marks, tap Follow Log. Now move your phone around, slide it open/closed, and press the four corners of your phone until Lumberjack outputs a fast scrolling list of text. When that happens, it means your phone has a hardware problem.
    This is enlightening. I hadn't thought to use Lumberjack to prove that my Pre's hardware is defective. Now if I can just convince Sprint.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I had this happen to me over the weekend. Turns out, my headphone jack was incredibly dirty, enough so to see it on the swab.
    I tried the Q-tip method and also removing the headset while music was playing. Neither lasted. Finally took it to a Sprint store with a repair tech. He dipped a plug in alcohol and worked the jack for 5 minutes. Seems to have done the trick. I don't think a Q-tip reaches far enough into the jack.
    Visor->650->Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I'm not sure if WD-40 is safe for tin/gold contacts...

Same reason why you shouldn't use non-sensor safe lubricants/cleaners on car engine sensors.
    Well, I have been using this maintenance procedure since Sept. of 09 and have not experienced any ill effects, just a perfectly working head phone jack. Many automobile components are made of these materials and WD40 has been used safely for decades so I am really confident that it is ok as long as do not spray it directly into the headphone jack port. I mean are you going to exchange a perfectly good Pre phone for a refurb with many other issues, hmmm, we all know how well that works out.
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 10/03/2010 at 01:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    My Pre used to get stuck in headphone mode all the time. It always happened when I was listening to my Pre when I had it hooked up to my car stereo through the auxiliary plug. It was probably from just yanking out the auxiliary cord while music was playing, etc.

What I do now when listening to the de facto music player and I'm ready to disable it/remove my the auxiliary cord:

1) Pause the music player.
    2) Minimize the music player to a card.
    3) Swipe up to make the music player card disappear.
    4) Turn off the car stereo
    5) Hit the power button on my Pre (so the screen goes completely black).
    6) Unplug the auxiliary cord from my Pre

Yes....long and obnoxious but since I've been doing this, not one instance of my phone being stuck in headphone mode. Try it and see if it works!
    Last edited by vladdddy; 10/03/2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: <spelling edit>
    Motorola Microtec > Audiovox 9100 > Motorola T720/Palm m505 > Palm 650 > Palm 700p > Palm Pre
    Hey guys, I just wanted to add $.02 worth of insight to the discussion having created the headset problem when I "plussed" my Sprint Pre.

After completing the software process I took apart my Sprint Pre and took out the radio. I then practiced taking it apart and putting it together again and again till I had a good feel for what to do when taking apart the Pre+ (a VZW one).

Well, I'm glad I did all that practicing, because in the process of putting it back together I inadvertently pinned the battery-pull tab underneath the backplate and had to take it apart again. And thereafter, I had the headset problem.

I looked through the forums and tried all of the sequenced suggestions I could find; calling numbers, plugging and unplugging by the light of the moon...everything, and none of it worked. I was bummed that I went through the hours of work to swap everything over only to have such an important function of the phone disappear. I decided to take it apart again to try and see if there was a physical reason for the problem.

after taking it all apart again (hint: thumbnails are the best wedge to release all those bottom clips), I noticed that the headphone jack had 4 prongs running perpendicular to the direction the jack traveled, set along it's underside. Three pointed one way (I think to the left) and one pointed the other way. They clearly were supposed to be in contact with 4 points on the board.

As a last resort before giving up and putting my Sprint Pre back together, I carefully bent the prongs down a hair more and made sure they cleanly lined up with the contact points.

Well, presto! The problem disappeared, and the phone has since been an absolute JOY to use. Not a single funky problem. Just a fully functional Sprint Pre Plus.

My point in this long story is, I think all of this plugging and unplugging and cleaning and whatnot is trying to correct for some PHYSICAL defect involving those 5 prongs and their contact points.

Now I'm no hardware expert, your mileage may vary, if you have a warranty you'll void it, you could totally break your device, and it's *not* an easy teardown, (phew) but:

If you're absolutely about to give up (i.e. you're phone is past all warranties, and it's this or going and shelling out for a new one), read the whole Sprint Pre + thread, paying careful attention to their suggestions on disassembly and reassembly, get a T5 driver, go slow, and look at the headphone jack and make sure there's a good solid connection at those 5 points. Hope it helps.

here's an image of what I'm talking about:
    Last edited by RizP; 10/03/2010 at 09:50 PM.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
  7. Zcu
    I use graphite from a pencil on my Centro and it helps for a very long time.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zcu View Post
    I use graphite from a pencil on my Centro and it helps for a very long time.
    Really? How do you do that?

I am due for a stuck in headset problem today (I haven't had it happen since last Monday morning), so I'll have to hit the compressed air, etc. when I get home. Any new solutions would be cool.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vladdddy View Post
    My Pre used to get stuck in headphone mode all the time. It always happened when I was listening to my Pre when I had it hooked up to my car stereo through the auxiliary plug. It was probably from just yanking out the auxiliary cord while music was playing, etc.

What I do now when listening to the de facto music player and I'm ready to disable it/remove my the auxiliary cord:

1) Pause the music player.
    2) Minimize the music player to a card.
    3) Swipe up to make the music player card disappear.
    4) Turn off the car stereo
    5) Hit the power button on my Pre (so the screen goes completely black).
    6) Unplug the auxiliary cord from my Pre

Yes....long and obnoxious but since I've been doing this, not one instance of my phone being stuck in headphone mode. Try it and see if it works!
    I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure this is just luck. For the longest time I thought I had just the right pattern of moves before ejecting the headset, only to find the problem reoccuring this past August, and now every week since.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    I read in a post elsewhere that if you pause the app for which you're using the headset before unplugging the headset and before closing the app or turning off the Pre, that it is more likely to switch back to speaker correctly. It's worked for me the last 2 times I tried it. (I monitored the Pre's behavior with Ghastly Headset while doing so.)
    I've read a bunch of these suggestions, but they're more like coincidence than anything else. This morning, for example, I paused Dr Podder, just like I do every morning and afternoon after my commute, and I unplugged the headset. Stuck in headset again. It was just over a week since the last one, so that was good. Also, it only took me 15 minutes of air can/brush/plug and unplug headset to clear it. That's pretty good.

In the meantime, I ordered a Jabra BT8040 headset, since that's the only one ear headset that is A2DP compliant. Should be here in a few days. Then, no more headset problems for me!
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    In the meantime, I ordered a Jabra BT8040 headset, since that's the only one ear headset that is A2DP compliant. Should be here in a few days. Then, no more headset problems for me!
    Just wanted to add (completely off topic) that I use the Samsung WEP870. It is single ear (though you can convert it to higher quality earbuds through the supplied pendant adapter). It also has a over the ear hook, which I like so there's not so much pressure created by the ear-piece in your ear. The only problem is that it doesn't have any AVRCP controls so I can't pause playback.

Back OT, this "stuck in headset mode" problem is the only reason I'm on my second Pre. My Sprint store replaced my Pre no questions asked after about 11 months. My new one has had the problem some, but very rarely. I agree with others who think it is a physical defect - and can not be resolved based on a software related process.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Just wanted to add (completely off topic) that I use the Samsung WEP870. It is single ear (though you can convert it to higher quality earbuds through the supplied pendant adapter). It also has a over the ear hook, which I like so there's not so much pressure created by the ear-piece in your ear. The only problem is that it doesn't have any AVRCP controls so I can't pause playback.

Back OT, this "stuck in headset mode" problem is the only reason I'm on my second Pre. My Sprint store replaced my Pre no questions asked after about 11 months. My new one has had the problem some, but very rarely. I agree with others who think it is a physical defect - and can not be resolved based on a software related process.
    I'm going to try to get away from using the headset in favor of bluetooth. My problem is that whenever I can't get it unstuck myself, it means waiting for the weekend to drive 60 miles into Reno to get it fixed. I thought they were going to replace it the last time, but since they can "fix" it so quickly, they never consider a replacement. I'm torn on that, however, as I would like to be able to use headsets without getting stuck, but my Pre is in PERFECT condition. Other than headset mode, it is as good as new. The slider is smooth and not loose, the keys all work, the power button and volume sliders are working. In short, I'm afraid of a replacement where the headset works fine, but everything else is hosed. I think I'm better off not exchanging it, unless I really get it stuck in headset one day and they cannot fix it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12